RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > PHEV Home Smartcharger
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Rusty Ranger

United Kingdom 
PHEV Home Smartcharger

I've now placed an order for a RRS P400e PHEV and am after advice on ordering a smartcharger for installation at home. I believe that the PHEV can only charge at 7kW, so a higher output charger would seem to be wasted on this car. Land Rover promote POD Point & BP Chargemaster, but I am conscious that other smartchargers are also available. I am leasing the car for 4 years, and would like to go fully electric after that. I also have a 3 phase supply. That sets the scene. now to my questions.

Power: Is it best to install a 7kW smartcharger now, and at the end of the lease install a more powerful charger (POD offer a 22kW charger in addition to a 7.4kW) for a BEV car? In 4 years, smartchargers might have developed quite a lot and become cheaper and better, so I am inclined not to go for the big one.

Smartcharger: Has anyone got any experience of installing Chargemaster, POD Point or any other charger that they can share, or any tips you have learnt along the way?

Smart: Since the car can do the smart timed charging stuff, presumably the 'smart' bit of the charger won't add much to the experience, other than permit entitlement to the OLEV grant. Is this right?

Post #595476 Sun Feb 23 2020 10:54pm
jra1234

United Kingdom 

I have a 7kW installed (I don't have) 3 phase so this is my realistic limit, P400e charges in c. 2.5h on this. I had a tethered Rolec (non smart) installed. I had mine installed before the need for it to be smart came in to get the grant, this is what I wanted. I use the timing features in the car to charge overnight. You have to use the car settings to pre-heat I think. I switched my electricity provider for low cost overnight rate (5p).

My wife is also looking to change over to a full electric model, even then I am not sure I would get a 22kW even if I could, the reason being when charging overnight if it takes 2-3h or 7-8h it does not really matter. With 3 phase I think you have the advantage of begin able to have more than 1 7kW charger installed. A second one on single phase looks like has to be 3.5kW.

I chose a tethered cable for ease an not needing to plug and unplug, and the Rolec as it seems to be much smaller than the Pod Point/Chargemaster offerings, you can chose a colour that blends in.

Post #595482 Sun Feb 23 2020 11:26pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

5p is a good rate, can I ask who that is with and what is the normal day time rate? 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #595497 Mon Feb 24 2020 11:17am
jra1234

United Kingdom 

Octopus Go Tariff which is targeted at electric car owners. 00:30-4:30am 5p per kWh, other times 13.8p/kWh, daily charge 25p. Needs a smart meter, they will install (a newer model). https://octopus.energy/go/rates/

If you use the code https://share.octopus.energy/lush-seal-112 or 'lush-seal-112' if you join you get 50 pounds off your first bill, as do I. Everybody s given a code when they join.

Post #595510 Mon Feb 24 2020 2:44pm
jimbg

Great, I looked at EDF but stumbled at the Smart meter requirement. 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2006 HSE

Post #595511 Mon Feb 24 2020 2:52pm
Rusty Ranger

United Kingdom 

jra1234 wrote:
I have a 7kW installed (I don't have) 3 phase so this is my realistic limit, P400e charges in c. 2.5h on this. I had a tethered Rolec (non smart) installed.

I chose a tethered cable for ease an not needing to plug and unplug, and the Rolec as it seems to be much smaller than the Pod Point/Chargemaster offerings, you can chose a colour that blends in.

Thank you for your comments. That is helpful. I think that a 7kW charger would be fine for me. I will definitely go tethered. I shall look at the Rolec. Choosing a colour would be good too. Quite a lot of the chargers look like... well, electric chargers. The Andersen charger is designed to look a bit like a mail box, which my wife thinks is aesthetically better.

Post #595686 Thu Feb 27 2020 9:40pm
jimbg

The EO is probably the smallest and neatest:- https://www.eocharging.com/eo-mini-pro?gcl...EiEALw_wcB 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2006 HSE

Post #595693 Thu Feb 27 2020 10:43pm
Rusty Ranger

United Kingdom 

Good call, Jimbg! It is very discrete, and has some good colour options too.

Post #595695 Fri Feb 28 2020 12:30am
jimbg

Yes, my wife had a lot to say in the decision! Thumbs Up 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2006 HSE

Post #595712 Fri Feb 28 2020 9:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1