Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > MY17 - Replacement Windscreen Cost
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

jd2uk

United Kingdom 
MY17 - Replacement Windscreen Cost

Hi,

Just 2 weeks after collecting my MY17 RRS, I managed to get a big chip in the windscreen today whilst driving on the motorway. It's too big to be repaired so a replacement is going to be required. As the car is so new I really want an original replacement but AutoGlass have advised that my insurers will not cover the cost of this. I'm going to take it up with my insurers on Tuesday but am not overly hopeful. Does anyone know how much a replacement windscreen costs? Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Post #526930 Sat May 27 2017 9:28pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

This is standard rubbish from Autoglass. They always say that insurers won't go with an OEM screen. They do this because it enables them to fit a cheaper screen imported from China or some such place. This boosts their profits, unsurprisingly.

Look in your insurance policy document. Many will set a price up to which they will pay e.g. £1000. They will also often have two excesses, a smaller one if you use their screen supplier - usually Autoglass - and a slightly larger excess if you go elsewhere.

On the earlier RRS, a replacement screen is much less than £1000 even if you go for a genuine LR item. I'd doubt that the newer ones are much more expensive so is likely to be within your policy allowance. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #526945 Sat May 27 2017 11:30pm
Farmer Chalk

Don't panic.....see my update on this thread....http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic40602-30.html.....

Providing you ask for a Pilkington you will get a genuine screen anyway!

Post #526948 Sun May 28 2017 12:15am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I had a replacement screen put in by my local LR dealership under warranty last December - Autoglass did the work with an OEM screen bought in by the dealer. Check the dealership price for doing the job before getting Autoglass in. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #526951 Sun May 28 2017 6:32am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRS-Si

United Kingdom 

Who's your insurance company. I had this problem last year when i owned a brand new Mercedes ML. I use Admiral and when making the booking via their autoglass approved number they tried the old trick of "autoglass standard windscreens makes no difference as they quality is the same".

I did some research and sure enough they were taking this p##s. I rang my insurance directly and informed them that in my policy wording if the car is under 3 yrs old they are required to fit like for like replacment OEM glass. They rang Autoglass who ordered me a brand new OEM windscreen which they had to order in directly from a Merc dealer. It took an extra day to arrive but was fitted at one of their local centres due to the on board windscreen camera. The guy who fitted it was great and even said to me they do try it on by offering a cheaper windscreen, but stick to your guns. He even had another OEM Merc ML windscreen to fit straight after mine.

Check your insurance policy and don't let them fob you off Banging Head

Post #526962 Sun May 28 2017 9:25am
Welshian

Wales 

This interesting because my 2013 RRS2 I have just bought from Stratstone had a chip which was repaired before I took delivery. It has since got worst and the car is going in for a replacement which they have agreed to. I wonder if there is any obligation by them to fit a genuine part or will it come back with a cheap screen fitted. Should I check with them before it goes in on Thursday or wait until it comes back? RRS2 HSE Chile Red
1955 Morris Minor lovingly fitted every nut and bolt

Post #526979 Sun May 28 2017 5:06pm
jd2uk

United Kingdom 

Great result in the end!

I managed to speak to my insurer's claims team on Sunday. Initially they weren't overly helpful, but after some persistence they agreed that if I could provide a letter from the Land Rover dealer to confirm that using a non-OEM part would invalidate the warranty they would consider treating it as an exception. I spoke to the service manager at my dealer on Tuesday who advised against using AutoGlass and provided me with an e-mail confirming that the glass must be replaced by a Land Rover approved repairer with genuine glass. I forwarded this onto my insurer and called them back a couple of hours later.

Initially I was passed around the houses before being passed through to a claims handler - he reviewed the e-mail and stated that it would probably be better if I had Land Rover do the work in case there were ever any problems with the workmanship at a later date. He asked me to provide a quote and within a few minutes of receiving the quote authorised me to get the repair carried out by Land Rover for the standard £75 excess.

Very pleased with this service given that my policy explicitly states that you must use AutoGlass otherwise the insurer's liability is capped at £125 and that they do not use OEM parts. I would have been happy enough with AutoGlass doing the repair, I just wanted the OEM glass. Although the service manager at the dealer said they use an independent company that does an excellent job and is very familiar with the process for Land Rovers.

Maybe some insurers do believe in great customer service afterall!

Post #527243 Wed May 31 2017 3:21pm
Welshian

Wales 

Great result jd bet you were pleased with the outcome, so am I, mine came back fitted with a OEM screen and looking fantastic Thumbs Up
On a a more somber note when they did the vehicle health check as they do, they picked up that the front steering arm bushes were cracking. I wonder why this wasn't noticed on the "165 point check" which was done in April Rolling Eyes Booked back in again with the comment, "Should be covered on your extended warranty". It better had Evil or Very Mad RRS2 HSE Chile Red

Post #527454 Fri Jun 02 2017 5:14pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Bushes aren't usually covered by the warranty. That's why they didn't pick them up. They're now hoping you'll pay for them. But you can point out that they have a responsibility under consumer law to correct the fault. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #527456 Fri Jun 02 2017 5:42pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Welshian wrote:
I wonder why this wasn't noticed on the "165 point check" which was done in April Rolling Eyes

Ask for a copy of the inspection report to see, then you are in a better position to insist on replacement.

Just after buying my RRS the park brake failed and after recovery their mechanic sent a video of his overall inspection, pointing out brake disc corrosion requiring replacement (his opinion). My emails to the dealer weren't pulling any punches although polite, and I was accusing them of probably never having carried out an inspection or this should have been picked up. Sure enough the group aftersales manager instructed the dealership to prove the inspection was carried out and guess what, the brake disc corrosion had been highlighted - proving they should have replaced them prior to sale. As I can prove everything, this was Peter Vardy Landrover in Aberdeen - I will never deal with those cowboys again (even walking away from a 'free' service due to my distrust of their standards). Of course I then got new discs and park brake module etc. so a satisfactory end, except I should never have had any issue's in the first place.
The thing was, those discs were not really that bad, infact better condition than my other 2 Landrovers it's just the dealers way of conning the unwary to bump profits. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #527459 Fri Jun 02 2017 6:14pm
Welshian

Wales 

OK thanks for all the advice, of course I may be overly pessimistic and they will change them with no problem. I have also contacted customer support to see if they are covered under the warranty or if its the retailers responsibility bearing in mind I've only had the car not yet 2 months. Watch this space Confused RRS2 HSE Chile Red

Post #527638 Mon Jun 05 2017 11:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1