Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Detachable towbar query
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Stevieg330

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
Detachable towbar

Hi all,

Again, many thanks for the replies. The towbar is a brand new one never been used and there is absolutely no play in the bar when it is attached to the receiver on the car. As was suggested I have put all my weight on it with no problems. In a few weeks I'll test it out with the caravan and see what happens.

Thanks again

Steve

Post #525452 Sat May 06 2017 8:37am
stagfinder

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

insiorc wrote:
I'll need to check my detachable hitch too then, I wasn't aware of it. I think I'd rather just tow with my other LR's rather than fit that unsightly contraption to the RRS.

stagfinder, If you don't mind me asking, what kind of trailer do you have that has a 250kg noseweight (or above 150kg) rating, as my local aggregate yard often loads my trailer to be vastly nose heavy so a heavier limit could be handy, although not ideal to drive this way?
You may well know this but incase you don't then if it's an Ifor Williams then although they may have 150kg/350kg stamped on their heavier trailers, All IFW trailers are restricted to the 150kg noseweight rating (I mention this being that IFW seem to be the most popular trailer manufacturer). I emailed IFW asking why the 150kg/350kg on the hitch plate and below is the reply. I also asked about their website FAQ saying for in my example a 1.5t rated vehicle can legally tow a 2.5t gross trailer providing the laden trailer gross was not above 1.5t, so I've included this part of the answer as this seems to be opposite to the vast majority of information/rumours out there.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you with your query.

· Both values on the coupling plate are a maximum.
· The Knott over-run couplings (and also the Knott heads/eyes) were historically approved to EC regulations – e1, in this case: S-value – 150kg.
· They were recently re-approved to UN-ECE regulations –E1, in this case: S-value – 350kg.
· They now have dual-approval to both sets of regulations, hence the two figures stated.

Ifor Williams Trailers are EC Whole Vehicle Type Approved, which references the relevant EC over-run coupling approval. Therefore the figure from the EC approval is the one to use. This figure also appears in the trailer Certificate of Conformity – Item 19.

So in effect, though the coupling is approved to a higher level, the trailer is approved to a maximum nose weight of 150kg.

Note, the nose weight of the unladen LM126 is about 91kg, and when it’s fully laden (evenly distributed) it’s not going to differ much from that at all.

With regards to licences, the website is correct. If you passed your test prior to 1997 (or have done your trailer test) you are okay to tow a trailer with a maximum gross weight of 2.5t with a vehicle that has a towing capacity, as long as the true weight of the trailer (including load) is less than 1.5t.

However, if you passed your driving test after 1997 and do not possess the B+E section of your licence, the above is illegal. If this was the case, the trailers maximum gross weight would need to be down plated to 1.5t (Using your example weights) – Ifor Williams offer down plating as a service. If needed, a down plated plate can be purchased through our Spares Department for £40 + VAT.

In summary:

Licence obtained prior to Jan 1997 (or B+E) – Towing limits go on actual, true weights.
Licence obtained post Jan 1997 – Plated weights come into effect.

sorry been away for a while I have a few odd jobs for a friend collecting boat tlr's down to Christchurch to his boat yard and some of them go very heavy on the nose I only tow at an average of 120kg as a rule but the sport was rated at 250kg and I wanted to keep that for the boat trl's JLR have now issued a supplement for the book down rating to 150kg on the detach bar

Post #525459 Sat May 06 2017 12:12pm
Stevieg330

Detachable towbar query

Hi All,

Last week I took my caravan over to the dealers and it was around a 30 mile tow. When I got there and took the caravan off the towball I checked and there was (to me) quite a bit of play front to back but none side to side. I would estimate 1-2mm. I took the towball out of the receiver and put it back in again. There was a very slight movement front to back but a lot less than before. Bear in mind this was a brand new towball and I have been assured that the vehicle had never towed before.

I don't like the fact that there is play in the towbar at all but I like even less that the play diminished after taking the towball off and reinserting into the receiver. What is changing?

Perhaps I'm a little paranoid about this but as I said previously I had a Westfalia removable towbar on my previous car for 7 years and there was never any play in it.

Considering this was after 30 miles It is pretty worrying. I have contacted Land Rover and am awaiting their response. I'll let people know what they say

Kind regards

Steve

Post #527926 Sun Jun 11 2017 10:03am
samd

England 

Steve,
I had this problem when first fitting my towball to an RRS previously 'un-towed'. The towball safety device is a bright metal 'tongue' which, when the towball is slotted in, slides into a receiver in the mounting bracket. My mounting bracket had, of course, been there and open to the elements since it was built and the bottom lip of the receiver had built up some crud and rust. A couple of minutes with a rasp sorted it. It now clips in much more freely and has no play.

Post #527929 Sun Jun 11 2017 10:36am
Stevieg330

Hi,

Yeah mine had the same problem. The red receiver cover was still in the back of the car so the receiver had never been protected from the elements. I cleaned it out as best I could getting rid of the rust and gunk. When I first attached the towball there was no play in it at all, only after towing did any play show up.

Many thanks and regards

Steve

Post #527930 Sun Jun 11 2017 10:48am
RRS nutter

United Kingdom 

Hi M3 DPO

Just a random question but do you have a number plate M3 DPO

Many thanks

Post #585160 Sat Aug 10 2019 1:51pm
Wenier

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Love the removable towbar. In NZ the max tongue weight allowed is 350Kgs so quite a bit more than over there. Although I have done heaps of towing with it I did decide to get a security device when I was doing long trip with multiple jetskis due to the value on the trailer.

I left mine fitted pretty much permanently apart from when offroad as it becomes a plough and never had an issue. I think the big thing is getting it fully in so the locking pin can extend the full amount, you can remove the key with it not fully extended. As mentioned a hit with hammer or even putting a jack under it to push it in a bit further definitely helps.

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/kit434-s...0032-p.asp this here is peace of mind that it can't come out though. 2010 RRS TDV8 181000km
2005 D3 TDV6 307000km

Post #585447 Sat Aug 17 2019 4:51am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Yeah, had Advanced Factors ship one of those security plate kit's out here to me, cost almost as much to ship as to buy the kit Rolling with laughter Not A/F's but DHL's shipping charges, did only take about four day's though, which I though was pretty good.

Cheers
Col

Post #585454 Sat Aug 17 2019 7:29am
Wenier

Fitting it is different to the UK as we don't have the gooseneck towbar. I had a chain link between the plate and crossmember each side to space it correctly and it also meant I had somewhere to attach chains to still. Also had to cut a wee flat across the green towbar handle to get it in there.

I reckon it is the best solution as at least the towbar it still easily removable. 2010 RRS TDV8 181000km
2005 D3 TDV6 307000km

Post #585768 Sat Aug 24 2019 1:04am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Fortunately no problem fitting to mine, as U.K. spec. A/B which I brought with me when moved here. Thumbs Up

Cheers
Col

Post #585770 Sat Aug 24 2019 1:56am
Duc750

United Kingdom 

Yeah ok I'll bite. Can't see a way for that security plate to fit with the receiver hitch. It's a very different shape to the ball hitch. 2012 SDV6 HSE (technically its hers)
2000 D2 TD5 - definitely mine
2005 D3 V8
Metalian Camper trailer for adventures

Post #585782 Sat Aug 24 2019 4:16pm
Wenier

As mentioned a chain link in each side to take up the gap and it gives somewhere to attach chains to.

2010 RRS TDV8 181000km
2005 D3 TDV6 307000km

Post #585986 Thu Aug 29 2019 4:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12