RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Squeaky wheels/brakes on rotation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>

Lyonhead

Wales 
Update on Brake Pad Squeal

Hello, I thought I'd give an update after posting photo's and have now completed about 600 miles since the mod has been done by the dealership. I'm happy to report that the brakes are working as they should and there is no squeal at all Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Autobiography, I hope this helps you with the problems you've been having and get some joy from your dealership.

Others who have posted, I can only suggest that you persist with bringing this squeal problem to Land Rover and not suffer, even refusing to wash your car other than twice a year???????? That can't be right.

It's clearly a fault, Land Rover have accepted there's a fault as they are issuing an official technical fix to dealerships to cure this and as far as I'm concerned if the problem come back ( which obviously I don't want ) I will insist the dealership fixes it to my satisfaction and not take the car back until it is.

We all spend enough on these cars and we should receive the service expected of this high end brand.

Post #503289 Sat Aug 20 2016 4:29pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

^^^ the days when high price ensured quality are long gone.

Most stuff is now more reliable but once you get issues then, because the inherent reliability means this is an exception, be prepared to suffer. FUBER !!

Post #503302 Sat Aug 20 2016 6:50pm
sally

United Kingdom 

My SVR developed a squeak at about 6000 miles. I had a brake service, still noisy. I have taken a chance and swapped the pads for EBC redstuff ceramic ones and the noise has gone. So if anyone doesn't fancy having their brembo pads chopped up at the dealer, you have an alternative.

I couldnt be bothered to take mine back to the dealer for them to clean them again and fanny about so i sorted it myself. The pads were about £160 and if they dont fix the noise you can get a refund.

Most importantly, that bloody squeak is gone!! 2012 Evoque
2014 Sport Autobiography
2015 SVR for the fun stuff
2016 Evoque SI4 Dynamic Lux for the daily drive
2016 Defender 90
2018 SVR

Post #503742 Fri Aug 26 2016 9:23am
DaveLeeds

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black
SVR Squeaky brakes

I have just taken mine in for a service mentioned the brakes again as have since I have had the car last 12 months, told me there was an upgrade due Happy days !! i thought ! then i get a call saying brakes are 70 % worn and do i want a quote for new pads ???? same guy i booked car in with ?? I mentioned the earlier conversation and he said it was just for normal RRS not the SVR but as a gesture of goodwill he will pay the labor and only charge me £508 for the pads.......

Is there really a problem with the SVR brake pads ?

Thanks

David

Post #504544 Mon Sep 05 2016 1:31pm
DaveLeeds

sally wrote:
My SVR developed a squeak at about 6000 miles. I had a brake service, still noisy. I have taken a chance and swapped the pads for EBC redstuff ceramic ones and the noise has gone. So if anyone doesn't fancy having their brembo pads chopped up at the dealer, you have an alternative.

I couldnt be bothered to take mine back to the dealer for them to clean them again and fanny about so i sorted it myself. The pads were about £160 and if they dont fix the noise you can get a refund.

Most importantly, that bloody squeak is gone!!

Do you have the part numbers please ?>

thanks

Post #504547 Mon Sep 05 2016 2:02pm
Lyonhead

Wales 

Dave,
Yes there is a problem with SVR brakes as Sally and myself have commented on the forum,but, as I've stated elsewhere in the forum, with pictures, they managed to do a fix which was recommended by Land Rover Technical and I have noise free brakes. That's not to say there are not any problems with other variants, I can only comment on my SVR. Thumbs Up

Post #504550 Mon Sep 05 2016 2:09pm
DaveLeeds

Mine is an SVR too mate, Land rover are saying no problem noted only on the other high performance brakes which are smaller than the SVR i will look through your posts

thanks

Post #504558 Mon Sep 05 2016 3:22pm
sally

United Kingdom 

DaveLeeds wrote:
sally wrote:

Most importantly, that bloody squeak is gone!!

Do you have the part numbers please ?>

thanks

front pads - Ebc redstuff ceramic low dust - part number DP32064C

They may make noise until they bed in if you are fitting them on old discs but a decent drive/bed in period and you should be squeak free. i did 6 hours driving on sunday and no noises to report.

I think the dealer repair was to grind away a chunk of pad. Thats not really a solution im happy with. Also, my hubby is convinced these pads feel better then the bremos anyway. 2012 Evoque
2014 Sport Autobiography
2015 SVR for the fun stuff
2016 Evoque SI4 Dynamic Lux for the daily drive
2016 Defender 90
2018 SVR

Post #504653 Tue Sep 06 2016 11:43am
nja123

United Kingdom 

My car developed the same squeak after 1 month of ownership…the car has now been at the dealers for 7 weeks, they have replaced multiple sets of pads (5 in total I think), a couple of sets of disks and they even tried a wheel bearing!. They have driven a total of circa 125 miles during test drives following the various attempts at a fix over a total period 6.5 hours on the road!.

Last week they took an angle grinder to the modified pads to create a modified-modified pad…I think it’s the same JLR ‘fix’ discussed above and they now consider the fault resolved?!.

My concern is that if I take the car back and accept the ‘fix’ the fault will return after a few hundred miles (as experienced by Autobiography)…in my opinion JLR’s ‘fix’ does not cure the underlying fault it’s just a sticking plaster used to cover it. As the chamfer reduces over the life cycle of the pad I’m pretty sure I’ll be back to square one.

In the future when new pads are required would any independent garage agree to tamper with off the shelf certified brake pads….i’m trying to imagine the conversation…’excuse me Mr Kwik Fit can you fit nice new pads on my £67K RRS, oh and by the way I’d like you to take an angle grinder to the pads to stop them squeaking!’ they’d just laugh and tell me to clear off…why would they want to take the risk?.

Post #504657 Tue Sep 06 2016 12:20pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Lyonhead wrote:
I'm happy to say that at the moment my brakes are squeal free. Very Happy

But, if it does return Embarassed I will just pass the car back to the Dealership. LR are aware of the fault hence the technical department giving advice for a fix. We have all paid a lot of money for our vehicles and if there's a fault it just needs correcting. My SVR does have the Brembo brakes but I don't know if the squeal problem is isolated to these only.
My Dealership, on my request, even sent me a picture of the brake pad mod they have done. I'll attach a photo. I hope this helps.

From the position of that chamfer I'd suggest the pads are not returning square and so the edge is 'polishing' against the disc. It is quite often that the leading edge of the pads may require a chamfer and some manufacturers do this.

Consequently I think JLR have a calliper/hydraulics or alignment issue for such an unusually positioned chamfer to be needed.

I'd chamfer the leading edge, check the pads backing is not grooved or lipped and be willing to bet the squeal would go

Post #504714 Tue Sep 06 2016 9:44pm
Lyonhead

Wales 

About a 1000 miles done now, various driving scenarios of motorway and country roads and happy to say the brakes are performing perfectly and even better, silently.

The way I look at this is that you have to bring it to the attention of the dealership as soon as you notice the squealing and have them acknowledge it as well. Then the problem is with them, at the time my car had covered very little mileage so as it was brand new and under full Land Rover Warranty, they are not working correctly, so not fit for purpose. Now in my individual case the dealership acknowledged the problem and went to LR technical for assistance with LR technical giving a fix, so in my opinion, LR technical admitting there's a fault. Ok, it may not be ideal to chamfer an edge off but no doubt they will address this problem and a new " style " of brake pad will be issued and obviously I have kept all photos and emails between me and the dealership for me to refer to.
I'm not prepared to just let it go and let them get " away " with it by fitting a different type brake pad myself other than the one specified by LR, 1, because it's a acknowledged fault that they must rectify and 2, I'm not sure but fitting non specified LR parts may invalidate the warranty. Very Happy
And nja123, as you say, you paid £67k for your RRS so why in hells name would you go to Kwik Fit for your brakes??

Post #504719 Tue Sep 06 2016 10:20pm
nja123

United Kingdom 

Sorry, Kwik Fit was the first name that sprang to mind...Halfords??? Confused

Post #504722 Tue Sep 06 2016 10:37pm
nja123

United Kingdom 

Well folks it's official.....it's a "characteristic of the car" and not a fault and I/we have no grounds for rejecting the vehicle - as I've been informed by JLR UK. It seems to be happy days for them if it happens to more than one car, it's no longer a fault, HOORAY, aren't we lucky!.

So we are all left with two options:-
1. Put up with the noise (in my case a noise that woke the neighbours - I'm not exaggerating)
2. Have JLR chop bits of brake pad off. - is this actually safe, brake pads are tested and certified, surely by hacking bits of pad off the certification is no longer valid (insurance issues?). The brake pad suppliers I spoke to yesterday didn't think this was an adequate solution and were suprised by JLR's response. Incidentally, JRL's solution is not to fix a fault, no, it's to help mask the characteristic - WTF!.

Unfortunately I've told my wife about the pads, now see won't let me drive her or the kids in the car... Censored

I intend to take it further and out of JLR's hands...any thoughts please to help my (our) case?.

If you think I'm being unreasonable please don't be afraid to let me know.

Post #504892 Fri Sep 09 2016 6:52am
Lyonhead

Wales 

I'm sorry but you said that the car developed a squeal after 1 month of ownership, but, you did not say if you bought new or used ( if you bought new clearly you have the high ground for the fault on the car ). Also you state that Land Rover have offered the fix and shaved the edge off, has this stopped the noise??
You have to give the Dealership, LR, to repair/fix the fault initially, to your satisfaction.

If it was unsafe, surely LR will be liable and you have details of their modification and to be honest I really think LR Technical would not offer anything that is a risk.
Furthermore, if the manufacturers think this is incorrect, what do they suggest and take this with you to LR and explain the manufacturers reasoning. Other than that it wouldn't hurt to get legal advice. As I mentioned before, the brakes are not fit for purpose as, yes they stop your vehicle but they should not make the squealing noise.
Personally, I'm happy now the squealing has stopped on my SVR with the fix offered and I'm enjoying driving the car, I know this doesn't help you Big Cry , but just accept the fix and drive your car if the squeal has stopped. Obviously if it returns the car MUST go back to them. I hope you get to where you want to be with this. Thumbs Up

Post #504901 Fri Sep 09 2016 10:19am
nja123

United Kingdom 

Thanks Lyonhead...sorry, yes, an important detail..the car was a 3 month old demonstrater bought from a main dealer, so the car was 4 months old when it went in to be fixed.

I think I would have accepted the fix but Autobiography's experience has worried me. The car was with the dealership for 6 weeks before the miraculous 'fix' happened. I think i'd like to stand my ground now and see where it gets me....if an independent authority tells me JLR's stance is valid then I will put up and shut up....at least I will be able to publish the outcome, positive or otherwise...if it goes in my favour and more people follow suit JLR may be more inclined to resolve the FAULT.

I think I'll put Lyonhead's response in the 'stop moaning and take the car back' pile. Big Cry

More thoughts please!

Post #504912 Fri Sep 09 2016 12:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>