Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
RRS Tdv8 v FFRR TDv8

Either one of them is over priced or the other is under valued:
RRS TDv8 HSE = £53120 OTR on LR website
FFRR TDv8 HSE = £54020 ---- ditto----

Only £900 difference.................. if I were having to choose between them it would be a very hard decision to make............ but I think I would go for the FF at the end of the day purely because you are getting more RR for your £900! But in the long run which would be worth more? A "base" spec FFRR (note I didn't say BASIC spec!) or a high spec RRS. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #65331 Tue Nov 07 2006 7:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hartleyhair

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Good point. I went through the thought process but still went for the RRS because:

Although the FFRR has better, bespoke underpinnings (whereas the RRS is basically a LR3 in a posh frock) the RRS handles better.

I'll get better residual value on my used RRS than a FFRR.

I prefer the look of the RRS (usually).

The FFRR is due a major relaunch in 2008 but that may be earlier, the RRS is still 'new' and the TDV8 version even newer.

If I'm honest I didn't realise just how close the prices would be. I had already ordered the RRS based on ''estimated sales price'' and wasn't going to lose the car because the final price was 700 quid more than I'd anticipated.

The RRS is still cheaper.

As an aside I still think a used Autobiography FFRR is a very attractive option when you consider the hit in depreciation that they've taken and the kit they usually come with. Driving - TDV8 HSE in Stornaway / Ebony / Brunel
Sold - 56 TDV8 HSE in Java Black EBONY/RHODIUM/PRIVACY GLASS
Sold - 05 TDV6 HSE BONATTI/BLACK/RHODIUM 20''STORMERS, PTI AND FACTORY TINT.

Post #65341 Tue Nov 07 2006 10:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

Yes, just the paint job is £10000 extra.......................... and you have to have that and 3 other mods to get the Autobiography badge, unless you can find one on e-bay Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #65346 Tue Nov 07 2006 11:42pm
M@verik

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Rimini Red
FFRR TDV8 - Sport

Tim, I usually find myself wholly agreeing with your points but this time I have to differ.

Last week we took delivery of a FFRR TDV8 Vogue with extra’s and now having driven it up to Aberdeen and back I find as follows;

Vogue = better finish particularly the leather which seems much better than any Sport, better equipment even allowing for Vogue spec, better (less) road noise – double glazing is good, better space, infinitely better steering wheel (I’m actually having one of those on the next Sport if LR can do it) and better range of unnecessary toys.

However, the ride is not as good from a driver’s perspective and the added size is irritating, the back seats are not much more comfortable irrespective of the extra head and leg room and the exterior is beginning to date. Whereas our now leggy TDV6 is still the nicer car to drive and I much prefer the driving position and cockpit effect of the centre tunnel even if I still find the slab of D3 style grey plastic annoying and the LCD’s cheap looking.

So, for me the FFRR in HSE spec isn’t worth much more, if any over a Sport.

Though I am not that bothered by the Vogue – it’s actually Mrs M@v’s new car, I will, despite a fair choice in our stable, carry on using the “humble” Sport as my daily ride.

One more small point though, the TDV8 engine is “the Bo//ock$” – quiet – arguably a bit too muted in the zorst department (JE here we come when my Sport arrives), refined and actually genuinely quick. Plus, for those who care, with 1108 miles on the clock now it has averaged 24.6mpg from new. That is despite me abusing it heavily once it had turned over the first 750 miles. Oh and by the way, it massively out drags the TDV6 even in Turbochip tune. Chris TC what can you do with a V8?

Summary - IMO get a TDV8 Sport just as quickly as you can. Over to you Kam for the order book.

[/img] 11 XFR

08 RRS TDV8 HSE with the good bits taken off the first RRS

05 RR Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red (Rimini Brown at events), Stormer wheels (original 19's for events), PTI, towpack. TV tuner (now driven by an employee)

1923 Ford Model T (serious ground clearance)

FFRR TDV8 Vogue my07 (wife won't let me use it in case I go to Salisbury with VA in it)

plus some other bits n' pieces

Post #65351 Wed Nov 08 2006 1:53am
hartleyhair

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I'm told, by someone who drove them back to back at the launch, that the RRS TD V8 has been given a more sporty sounding exhaust note than the FFRR. I am sure, however, that it will be improved upon by our sponsors.

Last edited by hartleyhair on Wed Nov 08 2006 10:14am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #65360 Wed Nov 08 2006 8:34am
Pelyma

England 

Interesting reading! I drove the TDV8 FFRR and loved it, it just had something about it. I've 90% made my mind up that the D3 will go in a years time and I'll get a nearly new FFRR. My only concern is how my clients' will view me turning up in the FFRR. I also think as you say the Vogue is the one to go for HSE's without satnav and lower spec seats aren't worth it.

Post #65361 Wed Nov 08 2006 9:35am
Tim in Scotland

Mav, I have 3 issues with the FFRR.
It's size is bigger than my needs. The rear seat comfort and access isn't great for such a huge car and there is always the image owing one gives ......
I ran a TD6 for 2 years before I bought the Sport and I loved it, the TDv8 is a lot better from the refinement and performance points of view.
What my point was meant to make was - basically I think that the RRS TDv8 is over-priced for what you get compared to the FFRR. That doesn't appear to be stopping folks from buy them in droves, and according to my dealer they are not loosing sales of FFRR's to Sports, the FFRR is selling to a different market and RRS is bringing in people who probably would never have bought a Land Rover.
I agree with you on the driving ambiance of the RRS, it is better than the FFRR and that RRS could have a more adventurous and better quality dash. But I have to ask myself if £900 is a big enough difference betwen the 2 cars that dynamically are very similar but size wise very different. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #65362 Wed Nov 08 2006 9:49am
Pelyma

England 

I think you only have to look at this site, very few of you are LR fans (present company excepted) you are car fans, not LR fans. Most have bought the car because it is the IT car of the moment. FFRR sits above all that, whilst it is always desirable it is not an IT car. The big question is when the next IT arrives how many will dessert the brand and what impact will that have on LR?

Post #65366 Wed Nov 08 2006 10:31am
Tim in Scotland

Must admit that having seen the Volvo C30 in brilliant red at MPH06 and years ago having had a 480ES I could be persuaded to buy one............... The 480Es that I owned was also the most unreliable car I have ever owned - in 6 attempts, it never made it south of Forton Services on the M6 from Scotland on trips to the south, it always ended up at the Volvo dealer in Morecombe to be drained out and dried - all for the sake of a better quality grommet on a bulkhead wire! The crap seal used to allow rain water to drain down the bulkhead an seep into the passenger footwell and glovebox, where the main ECU for some of Volvo's very clever electronics was located, drowning it.I always ended my trip on a train. Hopefully Volvo have got over things like that. That car is also the only one I have ever owned that had a lifetime warranty and that included paying for you to complete your trip if they couldn't fix the car withing 12 hours...... I got my money's worth out of that clause 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #65368 Wed Nov 08 2006 10:44am
MDP

United Kingdom 

Pelyma wrote:
I think you only have to look at this site, very few of you are LR fans (present company excepted) you are car fans, not LR fans. Most have bought the car because it is the IT car of the moment. FFRR sits above all that, whilst it is always desirable it is not an IT car. The big question is when the next IT arrives how many will dessert the brand and what impact will that have on LR?

I half agree with what you say P..... I would go a step further to say that LR never really had enough products to attract some of the people they are obviously reaching now. I think most people out there would say that they LOVE LR vehicles .... but up until now they have not offered something that fits the bill?????

The arrival of the sport has obviously bridged that gap.

The RRS has given people the ability to move over / return to LR now that they offer something that is both prestigeous and sporty. 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #65376 Wed Nov 08 2006 11:56am
Tim in Scotland

I wonder if the attraction to the newcomers to the marque also has something to do with the car being a RANGE ROVER Sport and not a D3 Sport? Just calling it that gave it a head start 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Wed Nov 08 2006 12:47pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #65378 Wed Nov 08 2006 11:59am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

I agree. I remember the first thing any LR sales monkey said to me when I first expressed an interest was "you know this ISN'T a Range Rover, don't you?" Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #65387 Wed Nov 08 2006 12:36pm
Pelyma

England 

And your problem is???? Wink

Post #65389 Wed Nov 08 2006 12:39pm
M@verik

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Rimini Red

Tim, yes I see your point and well made it was but I think the TDV8 sport will be "worth" virtually as much as the FFRR TDV8 HSE especially when you add the notion that an HSE FFR is a bit "well I couldn't really afford one with all the bits" and I think in the FFR market that feeling has more relevance these days than in the rest of the LR range including Sports. For instance when we had my wifes RR delivered the other day even the female office junior at one of our offices said is it a vogue "to which I replied no its a base model" (i was just kidding) and her face dropped and she suddenly lost interest.

BTW Good to enter into some discourse again. 11 XFR

08 RRS TDV8 HSE with the good bits taken off the first RRS

05 RR Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red (Rimini Brown at events), Stormer wheels (original 19's for events), PTI, towpack. TV tuner (now driven by an employee)

1923 Ford Model T (serious ground clearance)

FFRR TDV8 Vogue my07 (wife won't let me use it in case I go to Salisbury with VA in it)

plus some other bits n' pieces

Post #65401 Wed Nov 08 2006 12:54pm
Tim in Scotland

My last car was a FFRR TD6 SE in Monte Carlo Blue with Navy hide with the winter and tow packs and no other extras. The dealer had sold it before they were ready to deliver my RRS and 2 days after I signed for the RRS! I think there are plenty of folks out there who are happy not to have all the toys. They are nice but they cost a fortune to put right when they go wrong and even on an up market car I think the only things that you won't loose money on are the factory fitted sat/nav (almost as necesary as having leather on an upmarket car these days), Xenon head lights and the built in phone kit. Heated steering wheels, tyre pressure monitors and so on most folks can live without and you never get the cost back when you sell. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #65404 Wed Nov 08 2006 1:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>