RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > My SVR Story (picture heavy!)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>

Mudster

United Kingdom 

philmw wrote:
[IMG]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m1....mp4[/IMG]

Hmm, you must revolve in AMOC world Phil.

I'm currently on the hunt for a 1986-89 V8 Vantage, with or without X-Pack and I'd prefer not to deal with usual suspect garage re sellers that think telephone numbers for every car are acceptable.

I understand this is like asking someone if they want to sell their daughter, but if you happen upon someone that has a late 80's Vantage that they could be tempted from, I'm interested.

The model line before the Virage was my poster car as a teenager and I still hanker after one 30 years on. They're appreciating to a degree that they may become beyond reach if I don't buy one within the next year or two.

I can see these going the same way as the DB cars and becoming absurdly valuable. I just want one to drive and enjoy.

Post #464081 Mon Jun 08 2015 7:21pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Like me. When I was 10 my Uncle gave me for my birthday a book of cars. All my friends we Dancing Donkey fanatics (512 BB). Wanting to be different I decided the "2 ton super lorry" that was the Vantage was my car.

Spool forward 15-and-a-bit years and the Top Gear episode where Clarkson reviewed the supercharged Vantage (filmed in 1992). This was the aspirational, unobtainable, dream car. -

Spool forward another 18 years or so and I buy the very same car; the prototype Vantage. 2.5 years of restoration and it's back:

For a proper V8 Vantage, the Fliptail (first) or X-Pack (last) are the ones. Unfortunately, prices are going silly. Best advice, from me, would be to contract Rikki Cann ( http://www.rikkicann.com ). Rikki doesn't sell cars, only inspects, maintains and restores them. Another source of great info is http://www.v8vantage.com

Please PM if I can help at all. Aston Martins, in particular the Newport Pagnell cars, are like nothing else. Today they don't compete. But in the golden age, there was nothing like them.

What car has quicker around Mireval - a Vantage (v590) or an F40? Very Happy 

Post #464092 Mon Jun 08 2015 8:23pm
Mudster

United Kingdom 

It's the X-Packs I'm interested in, (not volante's they never did it for me). I would happily buy a non X-Pack vantage and get Rikki Cann to do the conversion along with a Tremec T56 transmission, Koni shocks and AP brakes. I'd be buying it to keep until my time was up. I figure I'm looking at £120K to £150K for a good one now.

This is the reason for me.

https://vimeo.com/56012901

This is my personal ultimate car. You can keep everything else.

This is the wallpaper on all computers I have, a little sad I know.

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #464106 Mon Jun 08 2015 10:01pm
philmw

The car in your last YT clip, TiTtY, is the work of Rikki. 

Post #464109 Tue Jun 09 2015 5:40am
philmw

Quick update on the story, and this chapter has not gone well:

When I collected the car the front grille was rubbing on the bonnet; marking the grille top and removing the paint from the underside of the bonnet. The car had also been cleaned, which as I pointed out when I collected it, had put swirl marks on every panel and of course the high gloss pillars.

Dealership had it back for a few days to 'fix' the paintwork. Their fix was to use a resin polish which, of course, doesn't fix anything and turns the rubber white. A new grille was ordered at the time.

So, a couple of weeks ago the car was collected (and I left with a diesel XF again) whilst they took it to an approved body shop to fix the grille, touch the paint on where it had been removed, and assess the swirls marks. Phone call yesterday to say the new grille was fitted and is better, but does still rub so they're trying to sort it. Phone call tonight to say that the car is back at the dealership, the grille looks fine, but the JLR-approved bodyshop are not willing to detail the car and remove the swirls as they may make them worse! 

Post #464938 Wed Jun 17 2015 5:44pm
Invincible

United Kingdom 

Hi Phil, sorry to hear of your swirl/scratch pain.

Can I suggest you PM 'Superclean' on here and get him to quote and resolve and then charge back to the dealership. See Michael's website for his work - http://gemcleandetailing.co.uk/services/automotive.php

I had the same experience re swirl marks after picking up mine and Michael removed them all (took 4 days to fully remove and detail with Gtechniq). Others on here who have used his services I am sure will agree

Hope you get it resolved soon 2015 - HSE Dynamic - Santorini - Stealth Pack
2013 - Evoque - Santorini - Lux Pack
2010 - BMW M3 - Monte Carlo Blue
2007 - BMW 335 - Gun Metal Grey
2004 - BMW Z4 - Gun Metal Grey

Post #464942 Wed Jun 17 2015 6:08pm
philmw

Thanks. 

Post #464945 Wed Jun 17 2015 6:52pm
sally

United Kingdom 

My grille is suffering from the same rub mark on the bonnet. I don't think it can be avoided unless it's screwed properly not using those plastic poppers which cannot the torqued.

I always tell the dealer NOT to wash my car, they swirled my black trims on the AB. 2012 Evoque
2014 Sport Autobiography
2015 SVR for the fun stuff
2016 Evoque SI4 Dynamic Lux for the daily drive
2016 Defender 90
2018 SVR

Post #465424 Mon Jun 22 2015 9:30pm
Hobster

United Kingdom 

Seen these used before at dealers, not sure if they take any notice though?...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/I4D-Do-Not-Wash-...0972490323 MY16 SDV6 AB Dynamic Stealth
Previous: R8 V10, S3, R8 V8, RS6 Saloon, FFRR AB (L322), RS6 Avant, Lancia Integrale Evo 2, Mk2 Golf GTI

Post #465426 Mon Jun 22 2015 9:38pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

No problem with the grille rubbing on the underside of the bonnet with mine. Some wear to the paint of the U-bolts from the bonnet latches but that is to be expected.

Curses, one of the 22" wheels toppled over as I was starting to fit them, damaged the wheel before it ever went on the car. The wheels are huge and unwieldy. Going to see if i can get it refurbed, these wheels may look good but I think they are a maintenance nightmare.

FWIW, I have completely abandoned washing cars using sponges and however many buckets. I use a Kaercher pressure washer to first remove the dirt, then a brush attachment and finally a demineralised rinse so no need to wipe the car dry. The black plastic trims are still a pain and I avert my gaze when the car is in bright sunlight. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #465500 Tue Jun 23 2015 7:52pm
sally

United Kingdom 

Im super lucky. I dont even wash mine! Guess i am lucky having a pro detailer husband who likes to do it for me!! Whistle 2012 Evoque
2014 Sport Autobiography
2015 SVR for the fun stuff
2016 Evoque SI4 Dynamic Lux for the daily drive
2016 Defender 90
2018 SVR

Post #465535 Wed Jun 24 2015 9:02am
philmw

Collected the SVR this evening from EDP and finally looking like it should have done when I first collected it. Dealership covered half the bill.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  

Post #466758 Mon Jul 06 2015 9:59pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Have they sorted out the grille alignment problem and where it was rubbing on the underside of the bonnet? Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #466765 Mon Jul 06 2015 11:05pm
philmw

Yes, new grille fitted a couple of weeks ago. 

Post #466775 Tue Jul 07 2015 5:40am
Stecla

England 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

What a lovely looking motor. They had 2 of these at the Canary Wharf motor show a month ago. They make a right racket when giving it some boot. Hope you have some understanding neighbours!

Post #466776 Tue Jul 07 2015 6:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>