RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > FBH getting on my nerves
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

andynpz

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
FBH getting on my nerves

Forgive me for yet another post on this topic but I haven't found the answer I seek, despite 64 results to my search.

I'd prefer it if the FBH didn't start so frequently, especially when temps are in the 5-10C range. I understand the logic of a quick burst on the first start of a frosty morning. But if I cover only a short distance, or even just move the car out of the garage. I hear the FBH running and then purging before stopping. Then off it goes again when I go to the newsagent, I get out its runs for a bit. I get home and switch off and the bl**dy thing is still running. I know it's bad to do short trips, but needs must from time to time.

So I want to disable the FBH, but electronics not my scene. Should I remove the 5A fuse (control circuit?) and the 20A fuse (heater supply?), or just one or the other and if so which and why? Both fuses are out right now and I don't get any warnings when I start the engine, but could I do any harm to anything, in particular the electronic gubbins?

All thoughts welcome

Cheers, Andy

PS It seems that FBH won''t start if heater controls set to OFF so this may have to be my fallback position. 2011 TDV6 HSE Stornoway grey, ivory trim

Life's too short to drive an ugly car.

Post #454186 Sat Feb 28 2015 9:32pm
shakeapaw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I think you are mistaken, the FBH doesnt operate at levels above 4 degrees, and certainly not anything around 10, the sound you hear is something totally different than the FBH running 07,TDV8,Black, Black Heated leather all round, Rear Entertainment with Headpones & Remote, TV, DVD, Pure Dab Digital Radio, Sidesteps, Adaptive Headlights, sunroof, now working fuel burning heater Smile)))

Post #454206 Sun Mar 01 2015 9:46am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

If it bothers you, just unplug it. Although why you wouldn't want to use something that helps the engine warm up and be more efficient, I don't know....

Why are you annoyed that it runs....? Confused Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #454207 Sun Mar 01 2015 9:49am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
andynpz

shakeapaw wrote:
I think you are mistaken, the FBH doesnt operate at levels above 4 degrees, and certainly not anything around 10, the sound you hear is something totally different than the FBH running

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think I am. You quote 4C cut-off but in the 64 posts I refer to in my original post the cut-off temp. is listed at many different values up to at least 10C. Whatever, it is easy to check if the FBH is running if you open the bonnet and I am certain that it is. 2011 TDV6 HSE Stornoway grey, ivory trim

Post #454214 Sun Mar 01 2015 10:26am
andynpz

Bodsy wrote:
If it bothers you, just unplug it. Although why you wouldn't want to use something that helps the engine warm up and be more efficient, I don't know....

Why are you annoyed that it runs....? Confused

I'm happy when it runs while the engine is also running - but I'm unhappy when it continues to run after the engine is switched off - burning fuel while going nowhere - that cannot be more efficient.
Do you think unplugging would be better than removing the fuses? 2011 TDV6 HSE Stornoway grey, ivory trim

Post #454215 Sun Mar 01 2015 10:34am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

It doesn't burn fuel at that point, it just cools it down by continuing to run the fan and the water pump for a short while.
The fuel pump will have switched off if looking at the live values. Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #454217 Sun Mar 01 2015 10:42am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

As Bodsy says, the noise you can hear is just the fan running to ensure it's cool before turning off completely. The fuel pump only runs with the engine running unless you have one of the many timer options fitted. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #454224 Sun Mar 01 2015 12:16pm
andynpz

Thank you Bodsy and RRSTDV8, I am re-aassured to know that what i hear is just the shutdown sequence - certainly i have noticed the last 15 seconds or so are just the fan whirring as if purging the FBH.

Now I know it's not using fuel I'll go and replace the fuses!

Thanks again guys, Andy 2011 TDV6 HSE Stornoway grey, ivory trim

Post #454247 Sun Mar 01 2015 3:33pm
madmackie

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Wish my would work its on and off like a light switch "Remember its easier to say sorry than it is to get permission " especially off the Mrs !!

Post #455669 Thu Mar 12 2015 7:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1