RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Steering Pull
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Meerkat

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Steering Pull

My 3 week old RRS was pulling quite badly to the left. After lots of nonsense from the dealer they agreed to check the alignment. However, they said that before doing that, they would swap the front wheels round. To my surprise this has made a huge improvement. Why would swapping brand new wheels and tyres from left to right make such a difference. Any ideas? Thanks.

Post #349213 Sat Jun 30 2012 12:48am
Beancounter_74

England 

As mentioned in you other thread, plenty of us on here (myself, Ady555, Jim and others) have all had the same issues on brand new cars. Shocked

Although the issues seems better by swapping the wheels, I'd insist on a proper 4 wheel alignment at their expense. Look on www.alignmycar.co.uk for an approved garage. It could be that you have two front wheels pointing out now that have straightens things, but will end up in 'scrubbing' your tyres.

Unless you get a proper print out showing all the wheels now aligned within acceptable tolerances, I'd keep on at them.

Good luck. Thumbs Up ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #349217 Sat Jun 30 2012 7:22am
abcsworld

France 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: Steering Pull

Meerkat wrote:
My 3 week old RRS was pulling quite badly to the left. After lots of nonsense from the dealer they agreed to check the alignment. However, they said that before doing that, they would swap the front wheels round. To my surprise this has made a huge improvement. Why would swapping brand new wheels and tyres from left to right make such a difference. Any ideas? Thanks.

Had same issue when I picked up my RRS HSE 2012 last March from dealer in France. Had a paint defect too...gave back car. they told me Land Rover issued an instruction procedure for this issue, and that all RRS they delivered in last 2 months almost had the issue (never mind I had to ask before they fix...). It took them a day to fix it but now it is fixed. Because of pneumatic suspension I would suggest you do it within network of properly LR trained experts. Swapping wheels will not work long term.
As I drive in France and UK I noticed that camber of road does also affects this, very slightly. Had same issue on my BMW530xD before...

Post #349246 Sat Jun 30 2012 11:15am
abcsworld

France 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: Steering Pull

Meerkat wrote:

Had same issue when I picked up my RRS HSE 2012 last March from dealer in France. Had a paint defect too...gave back car. they told me Land Rover issued an instruction procedure for this issue, and that all RRS they delivered in last 2 months almost had the issue (never mind I had to ask before they fix...). It took them a day to fix it but now it is fixed. Because of pneumatic suspension I would suggest you do it within network of properly LR trained experts. Swapping wheels will not work long term.
As I drive in France and UK I noticed that camber of road does also affects this, very slightly. Had same issue on my BMW530xD before...

Post #349250 Sat Jun 30 2012 11:33am
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

This advice is from LR to technicians testing the vehicles during PDI.

If there are issues with Vehicle Pull Drift or Steering Wheel Alignment, before performing a complete alignment, the front wheels are swapped and the vehicle test driven to verify Conicity - apparently Tyre Conicity difference Across Axle Car can influence vehicle Tracking! Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #349263 Sat Jun 30 2012 1:16pm
ChrisP

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Am I missing something here or had to much Scotch?
Given that the tyres are handed wouldn't swapping the wheels L to R mean that they are rotating in the wrong direction unless perhaps they were the wrong way around to start with I.e. as mine were???? MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.
Audi A5 Sportback Black Edition 3.0 tdi quattro S Line

Post #349277 Sat Jun 30 2012 4:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Meerkat

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Having done some 'Googling' of tyre conicity symptons, it would appear that I perhaps have a dodgy tyre or tyres. My symptons fit exactly with those of a conicity issue.

I will be taking this up with LR next week.

Chris P. My tyres are non directional, or at least that is what the dealer told me!

Thanks again.

Post #349302 Sat Jun 30 2012 11:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1