Home > Technical > Transmission noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>

canaryman

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Cairns Blue

....and gripping hands if I am not mistaken...oooooer Shocked

Post #57423 Fri Sep 22 2006 2:06pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Yep - came in useful for gripping his gun Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #57425 Fri Sep 22 2006 2:11pm
canaryman

Has anyone heard anything about an imminent cure for the rattle/chain noise coming from the transmission yet?

I have heard nothing and nor has my dealer so I just wondered if anyone else had been told anything at all, they would let me know. If no-one can give me any information, I will chase it and then post up on here!

Interestingly, I have just received my Landrover Customer Satisfaction form to fill out!!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil

Post #62781 Thu Oct 19 2006 12:10pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

They always arrive at the best time, don't they? Wink 

Post #62783 Thu Oct 19 2006 12:11pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

canaryman wrote:
Has anyone heard anything about an imminent cure for the rattle/chain noise coming from the transmission yet?

I have heard nothing and nor has my dealer so I just wondered if anyone else had been told anything at all, they would let me know. If no-one can give me any information, I will chase it and then post up on here!

Interestingly, I have just received my Landrover Customer Satisfaction form to fill out!!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil

no nothing.... Rolling Eyes 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #62793 Thu Oct 19 2006 12:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Texstar

United Kingdom 

no nothing.... Rolling Eyes wrote XXXAngelXXX, Also, no nothing......... this is, I'm afraid, standard procedure for L/R technical, we will all have to learn to be VERY VERY patient..................would have thought ZF would have been more on the ball though. Rolling Eyes and canaryman, don't hold back on the customer satisfaction form, tell them exactly what you think, and some more from Angel, and myself ,and whoever else that has to put up with this. Laughing

Post #62803 Thu Oct 19 2006 2:24pm
canaryman

Ok chaps, thanks for the feedback, I will definately not hold back on the form!

ZF do not give that much confidence as they sent an "expert" to listen to it and he claimed that it was "impossible for the transmission to make that noise".

The Germans will work very hard to fix things BUT firstly you have to prove them to be "wrong" about something and that is very difficult. They have a couple of national traits over here, one being "pass the blame", another being "thats not my area of responsibility", and of course, "no, I am correct and you are wrong!" Laughing

Post #62912 Fri Oct 20 2006 7:40am
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

and "YOU VILL TALK!!!" Wink 

Post #62917 Fri Oct 20 2006 8:17am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

i will immigrate to France again.... Shocked 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #63099 Sat Oct 21 2006 7:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
canaryman

Hooray. I went to my dealer today to have my car serviced. ZF transmissions have finally identified the "rasping, chain" noise during acceleration and deceleration. It is, according to ZF, a problem with the hydraulic clutch and they are working on a fix. The ZF expert originally told me that it was impossible for their transmission to make this noise but have now changed their minds, so at least know what the noise is and are doing something about it to fix it.

Apparently, losts of RRS make this noise and some are louder than others so the fix is being treated with great urgency.

I am glad that I did not hold my breath waiting for ZF but at least we have a little progress (well, they have admitted that it is a problem and that they will do something about it!!!!! Very Happy

Post #87452 Mon Feb 26 2007 12:14pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Certainly is progress... Thumbs Up Not being a mechanical engineer myself is the hydraulic clutch inside the gearbox housing? Just wondering how easy the "fix" will be to apply when it is eventually made available. Or will the fix be a new non-rasping gearbox? 

Post #87459 Mon Feb 26 2007 12:24pm
Lateral5

Australia 

shmoogle wrote:
Certainly is progress... Thumbs Up Not being a mechanical engineer myself is the hydraulic clutch inside the gearbox housing? Just wondering how easy the "fix" will be to apply when it is eventually made available. Or will the fix be a new non-rasping gearbox?

My guess is the latter....which I have had done.....and which still rasps Rolling Eyes Obviously not one of the new "non rasping varieties. RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #87474 Mon Feb 26 2007 12:46pm
canaryman

I told them to put in a new gearbox but they said "no" as most of the cars coming out of production had this problem or had the problem within a couple of months. It starts as an intermittent problem but it gradually becomes louder and more regular. ZF are normally very good so it is unusual to have this sort of problem but at least they are addressing the problem and should come up with a fix sooner rather than later.

The other problem that I have now got is the car "coughs" when it is coming off choke at low speed, it is a pain and I hope they can fix it (it seems to be a problem that is specific to my car......oh well, at least I still enjoy driving it!! Smile

Post #87542 Mon Feb 26 2007 1:29pm
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hi Canaryman
I deal with a lot of the transmission people at work and ZF are about the best. Do not worry they will be on the case. In fact they are at the min.
The shifts are done by removing the clutch pressure on one clutch plate and applying the next one with hydraulic pressure.
If there is a problem like there is they usually bring out a software update to modify the transmission pressure to overcome it, or speed up the shift point and slow the other one down. its normally the transition between the two that can cause a problem.
They also drop the pressure between shifts to smooth the shift out- as does every other OE manufactirer.
With these 6HP tranmissions its slightly more technical and advanced than the previous 5HP 22's or 24's or even the P38 4HP's

Good luck Thumbs Up You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Post #87581 Mon Feb 26 2007 2:29pm
chex

XXXAngelXXX wrote:
i will immigrate to France again.... Shocked

LOL

Post #87590 Mon Feb 26 2007 2:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>