RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > oil top up 2011my
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

mse

United Kingdom 
oil top up 2011my

Im after some advice...the display is showing the oil level as bent 1 notch above half...now usually I wouldn't have key it get that low, however the electronic process makes it it a little more tricky to fill.

So do I wait until it tells me how much to put it in...or put some in now? Also, the dealer gave me some oil from there proper bulk supply of the correct spec...I could use that, or would it be safer to order. an official pack Olathe correct spec (not sure how much I trust theee dealer) Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #320901 Sat Nov 12 2011 4:05pm
Vadim

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

I would wait till it says how much to fill in.
Also, as I am sure you are aware, oil level may depend on how long you wait after a drive. Usually, I wait for 10+ min after a long drive to let the oil settle then check the levels. Sometimes, it shows at minimum, and sometimes at half. But if you wait long enough 10+ min, it comes up all the way to max. Vadim A.

Post #320902 Sat Nov 12 2011 4:22pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Thanks, your probably right as the quantity is difficult to gauge otherwise

The electronic system wont measure if its not ready - but Ive checked it a few different times and seem to be getting a consistent reading Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #320911 Sat Nov 12 2011 5:54pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Mm i would still like a dip stick really. If you got the oil from LR main dealer should be the right oil, no. I know the castrol is a pain in the arse to find,but Shell also do the right one. Thumbs Up SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #320914 Sat Nov 12 2011 6:13pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Ive come to the same conclusion - the dip stick would be much easier overall...as much as i like the tech side - it means you dont check the oil as often and it isnt as accurate.

The oild sponsor here does another the right spec as well - i cant believe after so many years they still dont produce it more generally Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #320917 Sat Nov 12 2011 7:13pm
rr5port

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Halfords Special

Castrol Magnotech Fully-Synth for Ford £17.50 for 4 litres. (Standard price is about £27-£2Cool 10 RRS HSE TDV8 --- No complaints so far
57 RRS HSE TDV8 --- Great Car. Heated Windscreen & Brake Module both replaced under warranty.
10 months great driving, before I couldn't do without the new interior

Post #322284 Wed Nov 23 2011 1:42pm
oldcro

Scotland 

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-1300-wss-m2c-934-b.aspx

Check the link above for the correct low SAP's oil, if your MY11 is the diesel model.

Castrol Magnotech Fully-Synth for Ford does not comply with recommended Fords spec WSS-M2C934-B, using it could cause DPF problems.

Post #322290 Wed Nov 23 2011 2:12pm
mse

United Kingdom 

oldcro wrote:

Check the link above for the correct low SAP's oil, if your MY11 is the diesel model.

Castrol Magnotech Fully-Synth for Ford does not comply with recommended Fords spec WSS-M2C934-B, using it could cause DPF problems.

I mentioned Opie oils - im aware they do 2 oils of the right spec (wrong manufacturer though) and as mentioned the Magnetec fully synthetic doesnt confirm to the current spec by JLR - you can buy it from a dealer...Jag dealers seem cheaper than LR dealers.

My issue was more whether to fill it before it tells you...given the digital display Thumbs Up Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #322365 Wed Nov 23 2011 11:03pm
oldcro

Scotland 

mse wrote:
oldcro wrote:

I mentioned Opie oils - im aware they do 2 oils of the right spec (wrong manufacturer though) and as mentioned the Magnetec fully synthetic doesnt confirm to the current spec by JLR - you can buy it from a dealer...Jag dealers seem cheaper than LR dealers.

My issue was more whether to fill it before it tells you...given the digital display Thumbs Up

Sorry, I must have missed your reference to Opie oils. As for dealers I was given the wrong oil by a Landrover garage and a Ford/Mazda dealer had never heard of such a spec of Ford oil, they did mention though that DPF's caused them a lot of problems.

When topping up the oil level err on the low side rather than filling to the high level as synthetic oil expands quite a bit when hot.

Post #322375 Thu Nov 24 2011 1:02am
mse

United Kingdom 

A dip stick would make life much easier Rolling Eyes

I hear what you are saying about dealers, i had a chat with them and got a much more clear picture and reassuringly they knew of the spec changes...doesnt mean i got it (the right spec) though Laughing Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #322460 Thu Nov 24 2011 6:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1