RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Really bad dealer issue- any advice?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

did

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Really bad dealer issue- any advice?

I'll not name the dealer at the moment as they have not had chance to make amends for what has happened, but suffice to say they will be named and shamed if I'm not happy with their response!

My RRS was in the workshop a couple of weeks ago to have towbar electrics fitted. During the fitting proceedure, unknown to us they had to remove our isofix baby seat, crucially they didn't tell us they had removed it. A few days later my wife was taking our 18 month son to Nursery when on a 180deg left hand exit from a bypass the seat and isofix base detached from the car and our son was flung upside down into the drivers side rear footwell. My wife had to dangerously cross a junction in order to get to somewhere safe to pull up and retrieve our child.

Fortunately he had only superficial cuts and bruises but still (a few weeks later) has a reluctance to get into his seat in the RRS. He is fine in his seat in my other car so the episode has obviously caused him some lasting angst in relation to his seat in the RRS.

I am due to meet the dealer principal tomorrow morning to discuss the siuation. The dealer has admitted that they removed the seat and has told me that they thought they had fixed it back properly, which clearly they hadn't.

I'm told the technician involved is mortified by what has happened. To be honest I don't really blame him as he was obviously just following the dealer policy to refix baby seats if they need to be detached during service.
I've suggested that this policy is changed as any parent I'm sure would be happy to refix their own baby seat correctly knowing it had been moved.

My question is what do you think the dealer should be doing for me in respect of this issue? I haven't talked to a lawyer about this and don't really want to but I paid them good money to effectively endanger my son's life!

Any advice would be grately appreciated.
Cheers
Damion

Post #275671 Thu Sep 09 2010 3:20pm
Misery

United Kingdom 

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Let us know how you get on.

Post #275672 Thu Sep 09 2010 3:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

TBH I think it's down to you to check that the seat is fitted properly each time you put your child in it. I had an isofix seat when my children were younger and with mine it was fairly obvious if it wasn't 100% secure. What I would like from your dealer is a policy of putting the seat in the boot if they need to remove the seat from mounting so that this doesn't happen to another child. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #275674 Thu Sep 09 2010 3:31pm
Jonny Fresh

England 

I agree with VA........from a legal stand point you have no case. From an ethical stand point they should ensure you are the last person this happens to and perhaps throw in a few LR product toys for your son.

Post #275676 Thu Sep 09 2010 3:38pm
did

Thanks both. I agree that it's our responsibility as parents to check the seat but realistically I don't think there is a parent on here who can say that they remove and refix their isofix seat each time they put their child it in just to make sure it's properly fixed. Indeed our seat is designed to be permanently left in the car. If they had told me thay had moved it or I had resons to believe they would have moved it then I would have refixed it myself.

I agree ont he policy change and I think they have already changed it as a result of this issue.
cheers

Post #275677 Thu Sep 09 2010 3:39pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Truly Shocking! Shocked Shocked

Let us know how you get on. Thumbs Up L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #275683 Thu Sep 09 2010 5:32pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Terrible - but agree with VA & JF - down to you - they ought to do a dealer broadcast to ensure it never happens again and take some peace of mind from that. An appropriate gesture would be a gift or act of some significance to redress the ill feeling generated and restore the relationship - think i'd also have a word with the tech in person to help him deal with it.

Main thing is nothing more serious happened.

Keep us posted.

Post #275686 Thu Sep 09 2010 6:32pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If your dealer is anything like the two I use then you will get a customer satisfaction survey to complete (even for fitting accessories) you can point out what happened, that you have resolved the situation with the dealer and suggest LR should change their dealership workshop procedures to include a check that should a child seat be removed it should be placed in the boot or the fact to be pointed out to the customer. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #275687 Thu Sep 09 2010 6:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

I really hope your child is ok and will eventually come round to been in the RRS again

Maybe if the dealers placed a card on the baby seat to say

"this has been removed during the service please check prior to using"

This might have not happened Shocked

Post #275689 Thu Sep 09 2010 8:21pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If i take mine out to go under seats etc or clean interior i sometimes lay them on their side or invert them into the footwell so it is clear (hopefully Whistle ) to anyone driving they aren't ready for use ...

Post #275695 Thu Sep 09 2010 9:22pm
BKHK

Australia 

A free service or something.

Make the kid ride in your wife's car, that's what mummy cars are for. Leave the seat in the mummy car. Then your car stays nice and clean and child free. Kids make a mess in cars. Rolling with laughter

Post #275697 Thu Sep 09 2010 10:18pm
pcregeen

Only heard of one thing remotely similar when a key de-activated front air bag became turned back on by an VAG dealership. car was involved in a small (luckily) ding and air bag went off pushing seat forward. Luckily, again, the child was not present in the car. VAG i believe now refuse to turn the system back on without first contacting the customer so I hope LR will instigate some similar procedure as others have mentioned. (chair in boot sounds most sensible)

If it was me, I would be looking for the trade in price of the year, to swap my car for a slightly newer, better model from their forecourt that your child will accept as different and be willing to travel within again!!!

A new 2011 model HSE should suffice your needs im sure!!

Post #275711 Fri Sep 10 2010 9:35am
did

I met the dealer principle this morning and to be fair to them they have handled the situation well. They showed me evidence of immediately changing their policy concerning baby seats, so now they do not refit the seat if it has to be moved. The dealer concerned is multi-franchise and they have recommended to the CEO that the same policy is adopted across all their marques.

They have offered me a free service and have also given me and my wife a half day LR driving experience.

As far as I am concerned this is the end of it now.

Thanks for everyones advice and comments.
Damion

Post #275735 Fri Sep 10 2010 1:41pm
Jonny Fresh

England 

fair result Thumbs Up

Post #275736 Fri Sep 10 2010 1:44pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Yes fair result. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #275737 Fri Sep 10 2010 1:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>