Page 1 of 1

NickM

United Kingdom 
Jaguar Land Rover makes £55m in return to profit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8539679.stm

Post #257441 Sat Feb 27 2010 12:39am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If they close Solihull does Halewood have the capacity to build D4/RRS/FFRR and Defender? I for one would never buy another Land Rover product if any production were moved overseas, it's one of the reasons why I continue to buy them - because they employ a lot of Brits to assemble them and make many of the components that go into them, not Germans, not Poles, not French or people in the sub Continent earning a kilo of rice a week. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #257458 Sat Feb 27 2010 10:16am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
C10KO

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Tim, first of all you ought to ask yourself what percentage of the components is actually produced in the UK?

These plants are only assembly plants any way. OK, they have a long lasting British heritage. But so what? This does not contribute to the bottom line. Be it Tata or any other person on this plant you do business to make money. And if something is not doing so you are looking for alternative solutions. You are very wrong assuming that the labour cost in countries as Poland is so much different to the UK. Those couple of percent will just not justify the expense of manufacturing transfer and subsequent increase in logistics costs. The motivation rather comes from government incentives.

I have spent on this particular topic a number of years and hate to hear this argument from people. It especially applies when you are taking their work to a "low cost" country. Why the f Censored have they not tried to save their ass by giving more to the work they do. Simple answer is because they f Censored don't care about the company. They want their £7/hour for nothing forgetting that the company is not a cash cow. It just needs to make money as well.

Look at the efficiency figures in the British automotive industry and then look at the number of directs per generated output. These people just do not deliver expected results. So what? There are f Censored billions of people on the globe who would love to their job and strive to deliver what is being asked from them. The managers know this and my question is why should they not use it?

In the end of the day I am sorry to say but the morale needs to go to the side when business applies in difficult times as we are facing now.

And I am also really sorry about the language I have used but I know this topic too well not to share my view Thumbs Up

Post #257464 Sat Feb 27 2010 11:32am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

TB care to comment? Whistle 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #257465 Sat Feb 27 2010 12:02pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

C10KO wrote:
Tim, first of all you ought to ask yourself what percentage of the components is actually produced in the UK?

the car got lots of german products build in China Wink 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #257474 Sat Feb 27 2010 1:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zoo

United Kingdom 

they certainly haven't made any profit out of my Extended Warranty!!

Post #257507 Sat Feb 27 2010 8:39pm
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

Very Annoyed wrote:
TB care to comment? Whistle

I don't need to justify the work efforts of any of my workforce or work colleagues VA. The changes that have been made to working practices at all three Jaguar Land Rover Manufacturing plants over the last two years are well documented to anyone that cares to do the correct research. I feel it is safe to say that the whole Jaguar Land Rover work force are working a lot harder for their money than they have ever done in the past.

C10K0 obviously has some strong views on what he thinks is happening within the British Automotive Industry. But he is obviously using a lot of old data, especially if he thinks the average worker earns £7 per hour. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #257608 Sun Feb 28 2010 9:16pm
C10KO

TB wrote:
I don't need to justify the work efforts of any of my workforce or work colleagues.

All I would say to that is LUCKY YOU mate. I wish all of us would have your workforce then Wink

Post #257612 Sun Feb 28 2010 9:36pm
C10KO

TB wrote:
C10K0 obviously has some strong views on what he thinks is happening within the British Automotive Industry.

And to be honest i don't really care about British Automotive Industry. I simply hate blinded views against cheap eastern workforce, be it Poles or Chinese Twisted Evil

Post #257613 Sun Feb 28 2010 9:57pm
Steuart64

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Thumbs Up TB Now - MY11 RRS Autobiography TDV6, Orkney gray, tints, steps, daylight running lamps and allllll the toys!!!
Ex- RRS HSE TDV6 07 Java Black, bi xenon, corner lights, side steps, tints, cool box, smoke side repeats, chrome "sport" boot sill
Ex - Audi A4 Cab 3.0TDi Quattro
Ex - Freelander2 SE TD4
Ex - CRV Auto

Post #257616 Sun Feb 28 2010 10:56pm
4wheeldriver

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

zoo wrote:

Likewise with mine and its not 9 months old yet! Been stuck at the dealers for, well this is the start of the 6th week today and out of that I've had it 6 days!

Must be costing a fortune in labour and parts they've shipped to the dealer to try! Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

535d m-sport Platinum grey and a few extras.... Gone

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Range Rover Sport Santorini, privacy, dvd, towpack GONE!!!

Post #257625 Mon Mar 01 2010 8:52am
C10KO

zoo wrote:

4wheeldriver wrote:
Likewise with mine and its not 9 months old yet! Been stuck at the dealers for, well this is the start of the 6th week today and out of that I've had it 6 days!

Must be costing a fortune in labour and parts they've shipped to the dealer to try!

... this is the output generated by well payed workforce that people as TB are so proud of. Kind of explains why British manufacturers have been falling short to replicate competitive advantages of their rivals Wink

Post #257637 Mon Mar 01 2010 10:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1