RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Little Black box behind front grill
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234

fnumber1user

United Kingdom 

There seems to be a fair bit of misinformation floating around here with regards to laser jammers.

They are perfectly legal to own and use. Your basic 'get out' is that what you have fitted is an automatic garage door opener! Rolling with laughter

The way that most decent jammers works is as follows. When Mr Plod squeezes the trigger of his laser gun, roughly 50% of the time they'll get an ERROR message on the display. This is simply due to the nature of laser, and the fact that in order to get a reading, they need a reflected signal from your car to be picked up by their laser device.

Your laser device is constantly transmitting, and constantly 'listening/receiving'. Whilst the unit is transmitting, Mr Plods gun will indeed show error, your unit should then issue an audible (and possibly a visual) warning. Most kits stop transmitting after 5 to 10 seconds after they've received a laser signal - giving you enough time to slow down to the legal limit, for Mr Plod squeezes his trigger again and lo and behold he can now get a reading of your speed.

They arent a license to speed however, and the closer you get to Mr Plod, the less effective your jammer becomes, and the stronger Mr Plod's laser gun signal becomes Whistle

They are marketed as speed awareness devices, and they can be used as automatic garage door/auto gate openers too Surprised

Post #233531 Fri Aug 14 2009 5:55pm
Vogue

Quote:
They are perfectly legal to own and use. Your basic 'get out' is that what you have fitted is an automatic garage door opener!

thats assuming you have a compatible electronic garage door or gate. I am sure there was a recent case in the press where a gentleman was prosecuted for perverting the course of justice...

Post #233642 Sun Aug 16 2009 9:08pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

fnumber1user wrote:
When Mr Plod squeezes the trigger of his laser gun, roughly 50% of the time they'll get an ERROR message on the display. This is simply due to the nature of laser, and the fact that in order to get a reading

Is that a proven stat Exclamation Some in the forces believe it to be 80%+ effective offering only a 20% buffer at best, meaning ERR on their display 20% of the time without jams etc.

A well thought out jammer WILL NOT display the ERR code whatsoever, meaning the stats above do not change. IMO, the higher the ERR reading the more chance you have of causing suspicion, lets face it, these guys use the laser guns reguarly and get to know the best places to fire at, no car is that indifferent that it is likely to cause a much higher ERR reading in normal conditions.

As for garage opener, would love to see them accompany you home only to find you live in a tower block offering street parking only..........goodbye license Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #233648 Sun Aug 16 2009 10:10pm
C10KO

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Asim not quite sure if we mean the same, but there is a simmilarly looking box behind my grill.
My car is a TDV8, which I have bought new from.
So Confused

Post #233674 Mon Aug 17 2009 7:49am
Asim

Coko,

If bought new, I am assuming its a standard fitted device? best bet would be to go back and ask the dealer what it is, just to make sure. I am sure they will let you know exactly what it is.

For everyone else, regardless of whether the device is legal or not (argue that until the moo moo's come home)..I decided i had no use for the gadget, so had it removed by an official dealer. Smile RRS Supercharged!!!!

Post #234149 Fri Aug 21 2009 11:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234