RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Continental tyres in snow
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

jimrrsport

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Continental tyres in snow

Wow these 20in continental tyres are ace in the snow!...NOT! Laughing 2007 TDV6HSE, Java black, 20" 10 spokes, super charger grill and vents, Sunroof, tv, fridge, brembo's plus all the other 2007 bits, Limo Priv glass, turbchipped

04 XC90 Gone
04 CBR1000RRFireblade Trashed
04 Freelander Sport Premium Gone
03 Freelander 1.8 Kalahari Gone-should have been blown up!!
02 Lexus IS200 Gone

Post #82062 Fri Feb 09 2007 9:52pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

I wonder if they are like my Hankook's i think they are Censored some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #82068 Fri Feb 09 2007 10:19pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Replaced my 20" Conti's with some Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow on 19" rims. Works a treat in the deep snow and slush we have had here for the last few days. Razz

Its blizzard conditions outside now, so might just have to find a few excuses for exploring the wild, moorland roads of South Northumberland and Weardale tomorrow .....

Thumbs Up RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #82076 Fri Feb 09 2007 11:31pm
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

It's raining in my part of the Midlands this morning. Sad Most of the snow has gone. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #82122 Sat Feb 10 2007 10:29am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

TB wrote:
It's raining in my part of the Midlands this morning. Sad Most of the snow has gone.

Its still deep round us - Farmer has been up the lane with the snow plough on the front of the tractor and dumped about 4 foot of snow at the entrance to our drive Laughing good lad

Post #82146 Sat Feb 10 2007 1:12pm
Brian Mason

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

TB wrote:
It's raining in my part of the Midlands this morning. Sad Most of the snow has gone.

Did your snowman survive TB? Neutral

Post #82152 Sat Feb 10 2007 2:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Sad

Taking the RRS up to the Troodos tomorrow to go skiing.

Seeing as we have 20" Contis, I hope they don't let us down.

Taking 2 of our friends with us so could be very embarrassing! Embarassed

Will take the camera (If I remember!) and post some pics (If I can be arsed!). Hopefully, none of the piccies will be of our beloved Sport being towed by a tractor! Shocked Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #82159 Sat Feb 10 2007 3:00pm
Canadian Ranger

Canada 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Rimini Red

I really thought that stock tires would work good in the snow, wrong, I drove out on our lake to do some ice fishing and I was the only vehicle that got stuck. Big Cry Embarrassing or what. Rolling with laughter
My local tire dealer suggested two tires - pirelli ice and snow or nokian.
Which one of these tire brands are the best?

Post #82172 Sat Feb 10 2007 3:54pm
Smarticus

Well my trip out today proved the worth of the Pirelli Ice & Snow, despite having to turn around 3 times. The roads over from Blanchland to Rookhope were all blocked with drifting snow, although the RRS got further (much further) than any other vehicle foolish enuff to be up there today. But even in the best 4x4 with good winter tyres, a 3 foot drift accross the road for 100 yards or more, aint going to work. Turning around proved interesting and demonstrated how a winter tyre can allow hugely more saftey and effectiveness than a stock tyre.

After trying several routes we managed to get to Allenheads by 2pm, and have been skiing there all afternoon. Brilliant. Just a small rope tow, powered by a tractor (Val D'Isere this isn't) but there is something really precious about skiing on ungroomed slopes just 15 miles from home. After a few hours skiing we then drove up to Yad Moss where there was actually less snow (despite it being a fair bit higher) as it is more exposed and the wind has taken a fair bit of the cover away. The boarders were doing well up there though.

Verdict on the RRS was absolutely BRILLIANT. Carried ski's, lots of just in case gear, dogs and 2 people in supreme comfort and felt peerless on the steep snow covered roads. Used Snow & Ice setting throughout and HDC and low box on a number of steep down slopes, and she never lost her shape for a minute. On most of the roads we were the only ones out there, except for one nutter in a Shogun, in a tee shirt with his girlfriend, just determined to get stuck somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about those 2 on the news tomorrow "couple found mangled on snow covered moorland lane" etc.

It was snowing again when we left, so just lets hope it stays cold and we'll be skiing up there again tomorrow.

Thumbs Up RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #82187 Sat Feb 10 2007 6:53pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Trouble is.......who wants to be changing tyre every 5 minutes in the UK - to accommodate our ever changing weather Rolling Eyes

For me it would prove tyresome [ Embarassed ]

I prefer to know ive got good grip when that supercharger is working hard Wink 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #82198 Sat Feb 10 2007 8:51pm
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

Brian Mason wrote:
TB wrote:

Did your snowman survive TB? Neutral

My son did build a snowman on Thursday, but all we have left is a couple of little snowballs on the lawn. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #82285 Sun Feb 11 2007 2:11pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

MDP wrote:
Trouble is.......who wants to be changing tyre every 5 minutes in the UK - to accommodate our ever changing weather Rolling Eyes

For me it would prove tyresome [ Embarassed ]

I prefer to know ive got good grip when that supercharger is working hard Wink

I don't think its worth the effort down here changing the wheels and tyres for the odd one or two days a year when it might snow. I was happy with the performance of the Contis with the snow/ice program. If I lived further north like Cumbria...then maybe its worth it.
I was tempted by that garage selling those 19" wheels and tyres. But the wife pointed out they'd probably spend their whole life stacked up in the garage gathering dust. She's right on this occasion. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #82295 Sun Feb 11 2007 4:14pm
Smarticus

Conti's are great if you spend 100% of your time on tarmac in temperatures that stay above 5 degrees C. They give superb grip.

However, stray onto mud, grass, snow or ice and those tyres are about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

The other tyres fitted to RRS's such as Goodyear Wrangler F1's or Pirelli Scorpions are substantially better allround tyres, with only modestly less performance on tarmac.

Why do Landrover produce a peerless all rounder vehicle and then choose to fit decent allround tyres to all versions of that car, other than the ones with 20" wheels ?

RRS HSE's with 19" wheels come as standard now with Goodyear Wrangler F1's I believe. That tyre is marked with "M&S" on the sidewall (mud & snow) and has a good mix of rain, mud and snow patterns on the tread that looks like it would handle most situations pretty competently.

RRS HSE with 20" wheels come as standard with Conti's, which have vitually no, none, zero tread pattern other than straight cut bands that run around the central part of the tyres. There is little if any tread pattern to talk about accross the tyre edges, and it is that type of tread which you would most likely need in anything other than a tarmac situation.

IMHO, anyone sticking with the 20" Conti's runs the real risk of embarrassment when the get stuck in a grassy field etc. RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #82339 Sun Feb 11 2007 8:13pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

Perhaps one day soon the tyre manufacturers will make some decent tyres for the 20" wheels. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #82497 Mon Feb 12 2007 4:33pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Josh wrote:
Perhaps one day soon the tyre manufacturers will make some decent tyres for the 20" wheels.

Are Michelin Diamaras no good? Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #82499 Mon Feb 12 2007 4:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>