Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Range Rover Sport 3.6 TDV8 Hse Possible Turbo Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RJocall

United Kingdom 
Range Rover Sport 3.6 TDV8 Hse Possible Turbo Failure

Hi All,

New to the forum and have been doing a bit of homework researching the forum, I recently purchased a Range Rover Sport Hse 3.6 TDV8 With low miles for the year @85k Full dealer service history up to 72k and the last one being done at an independent @73k at the end of 2022.

The motor was delivered to me yesterday driven off the lorry on its own steam, Both turbo pipes disconnected from the top of the intercooler & the oil on the dipstick barely showing a reading, which after doing a bit of research is leading me to believe that one or possibly 2 of the turbos has failed.

My question is that with the turbo pipes off the top of the intercooler is it safe to top the oil level up to the minimum level and run the motor up to temperature to be certain that no further damage has been done to the engine.

Then I can set about the pinta job of replacing the turbos with the body on, I am in no rush so have time on my side, I will be getting both turbos reconditioned by Midland Turbo and blanking the egr and getting that mapped out at the same time and replacing the turbo feed pipe, Cleaning out the intercooler and checking replacing and pipes that need be. Anything else I should look at while there ?

Many thanks in advance
Ricky

Post #639884 Thu Feb 22 2024 5:10pm
peterjj

Australia 

Compression and leakdown test before starting other work just in case shrapnel has gotten in the bores and the engine needs reconditioning first. Pete
2008 L320 TDV8
2022 Hilux Rugged-X

Post #639904 Thu Feb 22 2024 11:18pm
RJocall

United Kingdom 

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply, I just bit the bullet and topped up the oil and let the car run up to temp all seems fine. Today I re connected the 2 turbo pipes and it would not start, I then disconnected them again and it fired ok

I did notice that it does look like someone has attempted to disconnect the drivers side turbo from the exhaust as 1 of the bolts is missing and blowing from here and that seems to be where the oil is leaking from too.

Post #639971 Sun Feb 25 2024 12:02pm
Jellis39

England 

If turbos are seized then it will starve the engine of air, I hear they can be done body on but I wouldn’t fancy it.

Post #640033 Tue Feb 27 2024 8:04pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Can be done body-on but easier and much more likely to be correctly done when body-off.

My old TDV8 was done body-on by the main dealer. Ended up needing another go body-off to replace the earlier bodged job. Both under warranty but the latter cost me a few quid as the warranty was by then the lesser version and they weren't playing. That's the last time LR had any of my money. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #640040 Wed Feb 28 2024 12:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1