RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > How to turn off keyless entry
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

aln101

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Watching the videos, this should be easy, so suggesting it took ages to get it to work is a bit strange.
Eventually getting the seat belt boing to stop spurred me on to try another fifty times Rolling Eyes
Should the headlights be coming on with the first and third push as one might normally expect, or should being inside the car block this? Can't tell from the videos.
I end up with an unlock confirmation on the "unlock" push, which certainly doesn't happen in the videos.
The chap says there is no sign it's worked until you try the locks.
Alan Series 3 109
Classic 2-door
101FC GS
Three P38 4.6L
RRS mk1 2012

Post #631407 Mon Mar 06 2023 6:11pm
ThickSole

Can turning off keyless entry be bypassed? It turns off the system within the car, but my question is does it actually turn off the signal being emitted from the key fob? And if not, can that be turned off?

I raise this as my double locked (two clicks of lock on the fob) car was entered (no sign of forced entry) and my steering wheel sawn through in a (failed) attempt to remove the steering lock. Has a way been found to still use relay to open the car despite keyless entry having been turned off?

I raise this, because if so, simply turning off key less entry, whilst potentially useful, may not be 100% failsafe as some YouTube suggests.

So, even if turned off, I would suggest also still keeping keys in Faraday pouches.

Post #631528 Fri Mar 10 2023 3:53pm
Mike London

I’m not convinced that turning off keyless entry is a security upgrade because if you have to use the buttons on the fob the signal can be intercepted whereas there is a much shorter signal being emitted when you just use the handle and the relay risk is removed if you keep your keys in a faraday pouch.
Would love to know if I’m wrong 🤔 2014 RRS AB Santorini Black

Post #637770 Fri Dec 01 2023 7:20pm
jases4x4

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black

Yes the signal can be intercepted and then used but only when you press the button so they would have to be close and sat waiting, Unless its the same time of day you set off or come home then they would have to be close, Or when locking going into supermarkets, I hear some sit in carparks reading signals for when someone presses fob, Once in they still need to plug into obd port with device if keyless is switched off so have a lock of some sort over the obd aswell so if they get into car theres too much time required to access obd port.

Post #637778 Fri Dec 01 2023 9:33pm
Gumby

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

aln101 wrote:
Red Arrow wrote:
Does not work as per post above which is the same thing but thanks anyway Thumbs Up

Agree.
Tried this about ten times on my 2012. It didn't work.
As for "follow instructions to the letter", it is hardly difficult.
Open door, sit in drivers seat, lamp button 3 times, and unlock button once.
Not sure if it's a typo, but I tried this sequence with the "lock" button instead.
Still nada.
The suggestion that the key module might need a kick up the A is worth considering Rolling Eyes .
Alan

I tried to to this last year - MY2012 L320 wasn't playing ball either.

Same as RugHead, Patrick at GAP played a blinder and helped to sort it. It was just an update needed to the KVM-Wireless module thought the IID Tool. Once done, keyless entry could be disabled. Takes a bit of getting used to, especially when you're carrying a bunch of stuff over to the car!

Post #639248 Mon Jan 29 2024 7:22pm
Iguana

United Kingdom 

There's resurrection Very Happy

Picked up a new to me RRS 2015 yesterday and used this to disable keyless entry.

Thanks
All

Post #639338 Sat Feb 03 2024 12:07pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Mike London wrote:
I’m not convinced that turning off keyless entry is a security upgrade because if you have to use the buttons on the fob the signal can be intercepted whereas there is a much shorter signal being emitted when you just use the handle and the relay risk is removed if you keep your keys in a faraday pouch.
Would love to know if I’m wrong 🤔

I have often wondered if this is actually of benefit as well, if you just use the door handle /buttons the fob has to within around a meter of the car to work, if you use the fob buttons you can unlock/lock the car from up to twenty odd meters away, which is when it's easy to intercept the signal I guess. So if you just use the handle/button they would need to be stood virtually next to you to intercept it, unless the fob is continually emitting a signal all the time they can intercept when not in use of course.
With the OBD port just fit a dummy one and wire straight to earth so as soon as they plug in their device it fries it. Smile

Cheers
Col

Post #639350 Sat Feb 03 2024 10:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12