RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 3.6 TDV8 intake leak issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

TaunB

South Africa 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Atacama Sand
3.6 TDV8 intake leak issue

Hi Guys, new to the forum. Hoping to get some advice.

I have a 2009 3.6 TDV8 with 180k km on the clock. The car has absolutely no power, struggles to get going. I had a workshop take a look, and they diagnosed it as being a turbo issue. So I had them replace both turbos with new ones… lo and behold, the car now has two shiny new turbos, but is even more lethargic than ever before.

It is clearly not getting any air flow, and therefore not making boost. So much so that it sucks the top intercooler hoses flat if you rev up the engine. There are no error codes showing up, but the message on the dash displays “Engine System Failure” but no EML light (was doing this prior to the turbos being replaced already)

Workshop then suggested removing the cyclinder heads as they suspect a valve train issue of that the timing may have jumped a tooth. Considering I had just spent a small fortune to have them replace both turbos, without that having any improvement to my car, I decided to rather pick it up, especially since it’s holidays now and I have some time on my hands.

Immediately it became clear that there was a massive difference in airflow between the left and right banks. At idle, the Passenger side (left bank) draws a healthy amount of air right from the air filter housing, but the driver side draws almost none. However, if you pull the top intercooler hoses off at the intake manifold, both banks draw exactly the same amount of air. Blocking off the intakes at the throttle bodies stalls the engine immediately.

However, if you block off both intakes at the air filter housing, it continuous to idle as per normal, so it’s clearly drawing air from somewhere else.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Where would the most likely place be to look? I have checked all the obvious and easy to reach places, but they all seem okay.

I will go out and buy stuff to make a smoke tester tomorrow. But if someone here has experienced something similar, would love to hear thoughts/ideas. I’m leaning towards a gaping hole in the inter cooler, but not sure how that would occur…

Post #638109 Fri Dec 15 2023 2:21pm
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Cracked intercooler pipes or intake manifolds are known issues. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #638113 Fri Dec 15 2023 3:22pm
TaunB

Thanks. But I have ruled out the manifold at this point. Vacuum seems solid on the manifold (if you block off both top inter cooler hoses while engine idling, it stalls almost instantly - so top IC hoses I suspect are also fine).

But if you block off both intakes at the air filter housing, it keeps idling as if nothings wrong, so clearly drawing air from somewhere else. Hoping my DIY smoke machine can show up the culprit in the morning.

Post #638125 Fri Dec 15 2023 8:34pm
TaunB

My homemade smoke machine isn’t making quite enough smoke to clearly identify the leak, but I am almost certain it is coming from the lower section of hard plastic pipe leading up to the drivers side turbo. I got the top section out (the bit that leads to the air cleaner box, but for the life of me I can’t get the lower section removed to inspect it.

Can that lower section of pipe be removed without taking the body off? I can’t for the life of me see how to wiggle it out of its position.

I am almost certain they broke the collar at the pressfit connection when installing the new turbo.

Post #638132 Sat Dec 16 2023 9:59am
TaunB

Removing the Drivers side intake intake pipe

Since I am now 100% certain my leak is on the lower section of the drivers side intake pipe, somewhere before the turbo, I am trying to figure out how to remove it to inspect.

Getting the upper section (the bit from the air filter housing to the bottom by the chassis rail) off is easy enough. But the lower section has me stumped. I can see the one nut that holds the pipe onto the metal pipe running to the inter cooler, and can get that loose, but I can’t find where the PCV pipe attaches, nor how to remove it.

Is it possible to get this pipe out without the body off? I have tried finding instructions in the Wsm but can’t seem to find it anywhere in there

Post #638137 Sun Dec 17 2023 5:53am
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Never did that, wait for @Col or @NoExpert to chime in. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #638148 Sun Dec 17 2023 10:46am
TaunB

Thanks. Hope for some ideas soon, otherwise I will spend some time on my back in the driveway again in the morning trying to figure it out.

Post #638154 Sun Dec 17 2023 4:52pm
TaunB

Where PCV pipe connects to turbo intake housing there seems to be a hoseclamp missing, but the fit still seems pretty tight, so doubt the is where the issue is.

Pressfit connection onto the turbo is broken though, section of it is missing. Guess the mechanic fitting the turbo must have snapped it while fitting the turbo. My suspicion is air is being sucked it there…

So now I just need to figure out how the hell to remove that pipe, and hope I can find a replacement in the week before Christmas

Post #638157 Sun Dec 17 2023 6:17pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

I tried to loosen that pipe when changing my alternator,,, it is attached to a small bracket but it is on the inside of the chassis rail and I couldn't for the life of me see where it was 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #638160 Sun Dec 17 2023 7:27pm
TaunB

Car is booked in to the local LR dealer for tomorrow morning for them to replace the pipe.

Must say, I'm surprised by the service level, willingness to help on short notice, ability to source the part overnight from the warehouse in Jhb, all only a few days before Xmas, not something any of the local Indies could do.

Let's hope all is well by end of day tomorrow, and my brand new turbos can actually start making boost like they are meant to…

Post #638176 Mon Dec 18 2023 11:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1