Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Brake Module Damage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Raybold7

United Kingdom 
Brake Module Damage

Help!

Took my car to a well know orange and black logo Autocentre that rhymes with Malfords, to have my rear discs and pads replaced; they had done them previously as I had brakes for life.

This time however I get a panic phone call after they have had the car for 6 hours saying they can't get the callipers open (trying to open them with a computer) and the dashboard is lit up, there's a bleeping, and fault codes. I ask what do they mean and what do they need to do as I need my car and they say they can't do anything as they have a level 1 technician working on it and it needs to go to JLR or approved garage to have the callipers opened.

I now know this is a manual activity and cannot be done as they tried via the computer, that they tried and tried and it wouldn't open!

Collected the car straight away, took it to the independent who I always use, who advises they have fried the brake module.

I write to Halfords who say they simply plugged it in to the ODB and nothing else. I certainly didn't drive it flashing, bleeping and not working, and left it with them in good faith. They reply with, can you get JLR main dealer to confirm plugging in the ODB causing the brake module to fry.

I've had my car 12 years and love it. It's never given me any problems at all and now these amateurs are trying to wriggle out of putting it back to the state it was in when I handed them the keys.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sad

Post #637663 Mon Nov 27 2023 9:44pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

I don't want to come across as pedantic, but you post above references "the indie I always use"; but you didn't and now it's not gone as expected they're "amateurs" but they were good enough for you to book your car in, and not use the indie.

I can see that the brakes for life scenario would be appealing and I suppose they offer a decent pad brand, but these are complicated vehicles what ever age of car we own.

Somebody will be along regarding the module and you may have to jump through their hoops to get an agreement. Good luck and keep us posted. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #637669 Tue Nov 28 2023 7:01am
Raybold7

United Kingdom 

Hi Steve

Let me clarify further.

The Indy I use for all servicing. Brake wear had occurred first in my life with my car and I didn’t have a local garage, I was only talking to Stratstone the main dealer. When the brakes first wore many years ago their prices were off the scale so I tried this brand instead as they had the brakes for life deal. As I had brakes from them 10 years ago, I went back to them repeatedly because why wouldn’t I, they had previously done the job fine. This time however the place I normally go to had closed down and I had to go to a different auto centre that I hadn’t used before.

Lo and behold this happens; hence my terminology.

I won’t be going to them ever again regardless.

Thanks

Post #637670 Tue Nov 28 2023 7:20am
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

Curious to know what model you have 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #637744 Thu Nov 30 2023 3:47pm
Raybold7

United Kingdom 

2007 3.6 TDV8 HSE

She's beautiful, goes anywhere, does anything, and is treated very well in return. Only had batteries and alternator replacements until covid and then steering rack seized due to sitting and not driving for 8 months.

Post #637747 Thu Nov 30 2023 9:39pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

Can't see why they needed to use a computer to open the calipers,,, they will squeeze back with a rewind tool,,, never had an issuedoing mine manually. As long as the shoes are adjusted correctly again after fitting the new discs,, straightforward. I think they have been trying to use the procedure more suited to the L494 with electronic actuators. 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #637748 Thu Nov 30 2023 9:57pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Is this the EPB module that has been damaged? That can be controlled from the ODB and if they've incorrectly tried to do something with that then it could Censored it up. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #637749 Thu Nov 30 2023 10:12pm
Raybold7

United Kingdom 

gogsy1956 wrote:
Can't see why they needed to use a computer to open the calipers,,, they will squeeze back with a rewind tool,,, never had an issuedoing mine manually. As long as the shoes are adjusted correctly again after fitting the new discs,, straightforward. I think they have been trying to use the procedure more suited to the L494 with electronic actuators.

This is exactly what the indy said. As soon as I called him and relayed what they had said to me he laughed and said a level 1 technician is like a trainee and won't have the knowledge, why did they put him on it? I honestly had no idea what any of it meant until I collected it and took it away. They gave me a printout of error codes saying the module had overheated, and I still have this document.

Post #637771 Fri Dec 01 2023 7:54pm
Raybold7

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Is this the EPB module that has been damaged? That can be controlled from the ODB and if they've incorrectly tried to do something with that then it could Censored it up.

I believe so but I'm not that technically minded; I didn't even know it had one. In fact for years I thought the handbrake was automatic and I never had to pull up the button. Consequently, I had never used my handbrake, even after I was told it wasn't that type of automatic handbrake! Shocked

What they have said to me is can I get a LR dealer to confirm it is possible to damage the module from the ODB. One forum guy has told me that if they had repeatedly pulled the handbrake up and down and up and down it may have caused the overheating and failure.

I'm in no mans land at the minute because in a month my MOT is due so I need it fixing, and I can escalate to a motoring association if they refuse to help or after 8 weeks which will be at MOT time.

Post #637773 Fri Dec 01 2023 8:00pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Would it be possible to use the indie you've mentioned to generate that overheating possibility, or are they fixed on a main dealer?. I think you'd get what you want and in a favourable time period, being mindful of your impending MOT. I just think you will be left wanting with a MD. i hope I'd be wrong........ 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #637781 Sat Dec 02 2023 8:09am
Raybold7

United Kingdom 

I've given them a quote from my Indy garage to replace it. When I spoke with him at length, he said he doesn't know what they have done to break it but if they have been trying to open it and close it via the ODB that may have caused it. He's fully qualified and certified LR but like all garages, he doesn't have that detailed electronic knowledge, it would need an expert.

It's just so annoying that I took it to them in good faith, they do this to it, and then ask me to prove they have done it!

Post #637788 Sat Dec 02 2023 12:16pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Are they saying that it wasn't working when you dropped it off with them?
If they cant say it wasn't working correctly, and I would suggest that they should have checked to ensure that it was or how could they work on it, then I struggle to see how they can wriggle out of damaging it. If you have some kind of legal advice line, house insurance, union or trade association for example, it may be worth giving them a bell.
At the moment, you have a car with a defective braking system so really cannot legally drive it, have you put it to them that you may need a hire car at their expense?

Post #637790 Sat Dec 02 2023 2:36pm
Raybold7

United Kingdom 

You may be old but you certainly aren't confused! Thumbs Up

That's a great shout. They aren't saying anything other than they only plugged the ODB in. Logic says, if they only plugged the ODB in, why did it take them 2 hours to contact me after requesting confirmation to proceed because they had checked?

I think I may contact the motoring ombudsman and copy their CEO into the email.

Thank you so much, this is great thinking and a great help.

Post #637792 Sat Dec 02 2023 4:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1