RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Class Action for thefts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Scrumpy

United Kingdom 
Class Action for thefts

Hi, I came across this class action suit, on Facebook, being considered by Mishcon de Reya who, in case you don't know, are one of the best law firms (and the most expensive!).

Interesting to see if there's any hope but thought I'd share in case people out there who have suffered a theft and feel JLR are partially to blame, want to look into it.

2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
2005 4.2L Supercharged Java Black - gone but was my first love.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #636536 Thu Oct 12 2023 5:25pm
Farmer Chalk

Will be difficult… this is not a flaw in JLR design but this should be aimed at the so called manufacturers and sellers of the electronic compromise and key programming devices. These are being sold by so called auto locksmiths who sell them no question asked to anyone who wants to pay..
JLR have been frantically producing software patches as fast as they can but these device manufacturers can just as quickly redesign their products to attack a different way…

The latest devices will attack most car manufacturers products just as easily via Can Injection . Remove any component from a bumper, headlight, reversing sensor etc and plug in the device and open and start the car…it’s really that simple.

Post #636539 Thu Oct 12 2023 6:29pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Agreed, it's going after the wrong people. But, of course, JLR are a much easier target than the scrotes and those that sell them kit with no purpose other than theft.

Time for Govt to get involved and require sellers of these devices to sell them only to licensed locksmiths. But that would also require locksmiths to be centrally licensed. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #636557 Fri Oct 13 2023 10:43am
Farmer Chalk

In fairness most of this is as a result of Euro right to repair legislation that came in in the early noughties…
The Govt, Thatcham and the Police, together with the OEM’s went to Brussels to challenge the forthcoming legislation stating that whilst it was ok to release vehicle data there was no way that security information re key data, immobilisers, and other security technology should ever be released and then only in a format such as pass through programming to authorised garages and registered locksmiths..

Brussels totally ignored the UK requests and this is why we find ourselves here today… data was released to anybody who asked which allowed these key coding devices onto the market..

There are supposed genuine locksmiths who will retail these units to anyone who asks ….

Post #636566 Fri Oct 13 2023 2:55pm
RRSTDV8

Do all EU countries suffer from LR thefts? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #636579 Sat Oct 14 2023 1:06am
Dave B

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

That's a very good point, as we all know our police treat theft as a minor crime and do nothing, even when told where the car is at that very moment and which way it is heading.

If it could be proven with data, maybe then government and insurance companies would put pressure on the police to do what they are expected to do, protect the public and uphold the law, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Dave 2010 3.6 TDV8 HSE (Gone)
2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago)

Post #636581 Sat Oct 14 2023 7:43am
Farmer Chalk

There is a gathering storm re this with manufacturers and insurers starting to complain..JLR recently hosted a large number of insurers at their factory as they are concerned at the large number of cancelled orders and customers moving away particularly from second hand purchases.. this destabilises the whole product as residual values will freefall..

As such growing pressure is starting to be put on Police.. they are starting to look at legislation of these key programming devices but in reality the horse has bolted.. I would also argue that legislation already existed which would cover this..

One of the issues is the lack of police knowledge and awareness of these devices however the thieves are fairly astute with this.. I have seen devices hidden in mobile phones, Bluetooth speakers and of course laptops.. whilst these look totally innocent to the average person the software buried within is impossible to see…

I would also highlight that even when found there is a lack of expertise out there to determine exactly what the product does… it’s just a circuit board with a series of chips on it… how does anyone know that it’s been specifically made to open and start a specific model…

My advice to all is OEM vehicle data has been so comprehensively compromised that relying on standard security features is pointless.. you need to consider aftermarket devices, almost back to the eighties with the fitment of aftermarket alarm immobilisers, hidden ignition cutoffs, steering wheel locks and additional trackers, ideally battery powered ones…

Post #636582 Sat Oct 14 2023 9:25am
Farmer Chalk

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Do all EU countries suffer from LR thefts?

This is a worldwide problem… Canada of all places is currently suffering high volumes..the thefts reflect what vehicles are in high demand in that market.. thus France suffers Peugeot and Renault thefts but they are almost unheard of in the UK.. but given the number of JLR products in the UK and the fact that they are seen as aspirational products then theft remains high..

You also need to understand what happens to the cars once they are stolen.. this depends on the desirability of the specific model.. BMW suffer across the range but particularly when you put the words M sport on the tailgate or boot lid.. thus a lowly 320 becomes double desirable if it’s got M Sport kit on it.. these are stolen and broken for parts because everyone wants to upgrade the spec of their lowly car to look like an M Sport version.. hence parts are sold on Gumtree, EBay, Facebook etc.. people always want a bargain without ever being concerned of its origins..

About a third of stolen cars are reidentified I.e rung and disposed of either within the UK or exported…however the fact that we are a right hand drive market limits this around the world.

The growing trend is just to slaughter the cars for parts.. and sold via the above media.. word of warning for potential EV owners.. watch your insurance future costs.. there is a massive parts shortage for these type of vehicles and thus these are the next things to be targeted….

Post #636585 Sat Oct 14 2023 9:42am
Dave B

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

And to add to LR product insurance woes, apparently the Luton Airport Carpark fire was a Range Rover Sport, a diesel hybrid.

Not sure if the argument should be bad for LR or EVs, but would imagine both at this moment in time.

Dave 2010 3.6 TDV8 HSE (Gone)
2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago)

Post #636586 Sat Oct 14 2023 12:54pm
Rowdie

United Kingdom 

Are you sure it was a hybrid ? I am told it was a diesel, but did they make diesel hybrids in that tail light shape. I thing hybrids in this model were petrol.

Post #636587 Sat Oct 14 2023 2:15pm
scrumps

United Kingdom 

Hi,

From the two (front & rear) photos I’ve seen it was definitely an L494 so would NOT be a diesel hybrid.

It didn’t even seem to be parked, just sat in an entry exit lane. That might explain the fire as diesel (fluid) is difficult to ignite but diesel (vapour/spray) is a lot easier.

IMHO it looks like a fuel leak has ignited while the engine was running and the inferno was the result.

Scrumps Somerset - Where the apples do grow and the cider do flow!
2021 Defender 90 D250 HSE in Tasman with white roof.
24MY D300 AB - Verasine Blue - 😀
19MY SDV6 AB - Byron Blue - Gone
17MY D5 SDV6 HSE - Firenze Red - Gone
16MY SDV6 AB -Aruba Silver - Gone
13.5MY SDV6 "HSE Black" - Baltic Blue - Gone
10MY TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Gone
14MY D4 HSE in Scotia Grey - Gone
05 TD5 D90 CSW in Cairns Blue

Post #636600 Sun Oct 15 2023 9:24am
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

There was a diesel hybrid (2015?), not an expert on the tail lights but that would help identify the likely year of this car. 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #636601 Sun Oct 15 2023 10:17am
kas982

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Do all EU countries suffer from LR thefts?

Italy has the highest car theft rate in europe, less than 50 reported stolen, however land rover sells around 11,000 per year in italy & almost 80,000 in the uk.
uk figures are still shocking though.

Post #636650 Tue Oct 17 2023 12:49pm
mike54

United Kingdom 

No real way to prevent theft unless the vehcile itself is inaccesible

Post #636679 Wed Oct 18 2023 10:27am
RRSTDV8

Even if it's locked in a garage, if the criminals know about it and they want it, they'll find a way to get it - breaking in to your house and forcibly taking the keys if necessary. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #636684 Wed Oct 18 2023 1:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1