RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > EPB Bedding in Process Now screeching
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

jases4x4

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black
EPB Bedding in Process Now screeching

Hi Guys, I fitted all new discs pads and shoes recently and just got round to bedding in the shoes in, Whilst out doing this today following instructions in epb bedding in mode driving between 19-29 mph i was pulling the handbrake, What i noticed is how slow i was slowing down there wasnt alot of resistance, Not like when not in the mode and doing that normally slams on handbrake and stops quickly, So i did this about 7 times and each time stopping slowly until a smell appeared which i presume overheating etc, So i carried on driving to cool everything down but when i tried again i heard the dreaded load screeching, So now when im parked up and apply the handbrake its a very loud screech about 6 seconds and the same when i release handbrake.

So can something be adjusted to fix or have i a knackered module when doing a simple bedding in process? Wish i didnt bother now.

Post #634433 Thu Jul 20 2023 10:06pm
JDPRRSUK

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Not sure why you would need to bed EPB at all?

Post #634436 Thu Jul 20 2023 10:51pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Because it is a procedure L/R advise after changing the shoes, discs etc.

Cheers
Col

Post #634437 Thu Jul 20 2023 11:12pm
JDPRRSUK

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Thank you for clarifying. I thought the bedding in was just for ‘rolling’ brakes such as discs and pads and not the EPB which applies when stationary.
👍🏼

Post #634438 Thu Jul 20 2023 11:21pm
jases4x4

Well the handbrake is disengaged and i can still use the motor so thats a positive, Hopefully after watching a youtube video of someone else having similar issue im hoping the cable has come off on one of the shoes so i can refit at the weekend, I have noticed over the years sometimes when you get in the P light flashed and beeped quickly until i disengaged handbrake so maybe that was a sign.

Post #634441 Fri Jul 21 2023 7:47am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

JDPRRSUK wrote:
Thank you for clarifying. I thought the bedding in was just for ‘rolling’ brakes such as discs and pads and not the EPB which applies when stationary.
👍🏼

You can hold up the park brake switch in an emergency, and I think this applies all 6 brakes. It stops the car very quickly. Shocked

Post #634446 Fri Jul 21 2023 12:45pm
jases4x4

So based on that Andy, When i have been driving before and pulling up the switch a few seconds, Does that mean the harsh quick braking isnt just my handbrake which made me think it was very good but actually all my brakes kicking in, If So maybe my handbrake has not been applying much pressure over the years when using it to park, Explaining why when i get in sometimes it flashes (p) on the dash until i release it, Is it telling me the tension is low or not sufficient to hold vehicle, Only reason it was stationary would be it was in park and not the hand brake holding it?

Post #634449 Fri Jul 21 2023 1:48pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

You can hold up the park brake switch in an emergency, and I think this applies all 6 brakes. It stops the car very quickly.

When I was on the experience day, we were on the main road & the instructor told me to keep a steady speed,(he had obviously checked there was nothing behind) then he flicked on the handbrake, I almost went out the window Censored Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up Range Rover Sport: Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe: 992 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post #634452 Fri Jul 21 2023 2:38pm
jases4x4

I would say the brakes were very good when i pulled the handbrake which would explain this especially now i have 6 pots on front, So when in epb mode this must stop all the brakes stopping the car as it normally would then and therefore in epb mode the vehicle took a long time to slow to a stop even just doing 22ish mph so im thinking mabe my epb was not set up correctly or the module is not operating the correct pressure, Any got any advice with the screeching etc? I will take the disc off tonight and look if the cable is on the shoe First i think.

Post #634454 Fri Jul 21 2023 3:26pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

If you are in bedding in mode, it will only apply the park brake lightly. To bed in the shoes.

In normal operation I applied the park brake at 15 mph ish. And the rear wheels lock up. So P brake works

Post #634459 Fri Jul 21 2023 6:05pm
jases4x4

Yes that sounds exactly what was happening until the smell and screeching, Im just hoping one of the cables has come off a shoe and its just a case of clipping it back in.

Post #634460 Fri Jul 21 2023 6:23pm
jases4x4

These are my brand new shoes after bedding in, Whats happened here has the epb stuck on?

Post #634461 Fri Jul 21 2023 7:44pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Are you sure it had engaged the bedding in mode correctly? when I did mine a while back it took several goes to get it to go in to the correct bedding in mode, although if I remember correctly it does flash up a message saying when it is engaged.

Cheers
Col

Post #634469 Fri Jul 21 2023 10:55pm
jases4x4

Yes sure Col, It took me a few times for it to activate but once in it tells you and plashes p aswell, I think whats happened is they have overheated causing them to stick and wear excessively, Also my module brass spindle must have been close to the end anyway and its fully opened now, So hopefully a rewind of the spindle in module and new shoes with adjustment should do the trick, Just the module looks a nightmare with the diff in the way, I have spare wheel missing and a few have said access that way and spin module around so that might be worth trying, I just know its going to be a long stressful Saturday.

Post #634470 Sat Jul 22 2023 12:44am
jases4x4

I also noticed 2 springs are missing next to the adjustable cog, Theres a spring either side usually but the smaller one is missing which pulls the top of the shoes together drivers side and bottom of shoes nearside, So i will order them with new shoes aswell.

Post #634471 Sat Jul 22 2023 12:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>