Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > L494 Tow Bar and electrics retro fit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

paulkedwards

United Kingdom 
L494 Tow Bar and electrics retro fit

Hi all,

Just about to get an L494 (will be around a 2017 model) and preparing that to get the spec I want that it might not have a tow bar fitted. I've found the fitting instructions but wondered if anyone has had experience of self fitting the deployable bar and associated electrics and has a step by step of this?

Getting excited for my upgrade from the D4 HSE.

Many thanks

Paul

Post #634176 Sun Jul 09 2023 9:25am
DWA

United Kingdom 

You might want to consider what tow bar you fit depending on the trailer you intend to pull. I have a 17MY Sport with deployable tow bar pulling one of 2 twin axle 10ft Ifor trailers and the problem is the tow ball is not high enough and the trailer pulls nose down. Been to several dealers but all say the same, that there are no alterations that can be made. Interestingly enough measured a Touareg tow ball height recently on a deployable tow bar and the ball height is between 2 and 3 inches higher which would be perfect height, this is a very frustrating problem as rear trailer wheels especially when empty often are not in contact with the ground and especially annoying as what 90% ish of trailers pulled by these cars will be Ifor trailers.

Post #634181 Sun Jul 09 2023 2:00pm
paulkedwards

United Kingdom 

Many thanks for the very useful feedback as I've previously always had a multi hight fixed tow bar on the LR's & Discoveries as I also used to tow an IW trailer for move my competition Landy and can imagine it not being level wouldn't make it the most comfortable experience. Life has moved on a little now and my towing needs tends to only be the caravan but the trailer might potentially also get used as I sold it to a friend but there is also the option of using the old trusty 90 TD5. Do you know if the trailer electrics for a 13 pin is a plug and play and the remaining electrics are solely used for the deployable control?

Thanks,
Paul

Post #634195 Mon Jul 10 2023 10:49am
DWA

United Kingdom 

Sorry don't know about fitting, but think it needs to be programed to work properly, mine was a retrofit but done at main dealer, you could always try reversing on to keep the weight back.

Post #634196 Mon Jul 10 2023 11:24am
RRS4ED

United Kingdom 
Re: L494 Tow Bar and electrics retro fit

paulkedwards wrote:
Hi all,

Just about to get an L494 (will be around a 2017 model) and preparing that to get the spec I want that it might not have a tow bar fitted. I've found the fitting instructions but wondered if anyone has had experience of self fitting the deployable bar and associated electrics and has a step by step of this?

Getting excited for my upgrade from the D4 HSE.

Many thanks

Paul

I fitted detachable tow trust towbar to my L494 (2014) it was from a 2018 (67 plate so pre-face lift)

Taking the bumper out was little bit painful near the headlights, i almost snapped so be careful if you going to do it your self.

I would follow torque instructions to the T as its quiet important.

Electrics were plug straight in and mine is 13 pin but my trailer 7 pin and little converter works just fine.

I managed to code mine self in as it is quiet important, first of all it disables the rear parking sensors when reversing. However you also need it for shifting patterns, suspension and i think even cooling of the engine.

I found mine wont go to access height when tow bar plugged in.

I cant see the electric one being much different when it comes to coding but you will need the button at least and maybe even the control module.

I have to take the little cover every time i have to tow but it works well for me. I recently towed a 3.2 tone of generator which i was impressed with the tow bar and the car. Although the fact that t is detachable does make you nervous although it was rated for 3.5 ton and 200 kg limit on nose.

It took me 4 hours to fit it despite instructions saying 1.5 hours but wasnt very bad and it was my first time.

Hope this helps

Post #634259 Fri Jul 14 2023 9:09pm
paulkedwards

United Kingdom 

Thank you RRS4ED as this has answered one of my queries to if there were plug sockets already available to plug the towing electrics into without needing a further loom.

Off to look at a 2014 Autobiography (46k miles) tomorrow and assuming its ok will then need to get my IID tool tool updated to do the CCF changes along with getting the towbar in readiness to take the kids away with the caravan in a few weeks time.

I've seen the Witter removable tow bar which looks ok if I can't find a genuine one and wondered if you had to cut the bumper at all for the fitment?

Many thanks

Paul

Post #634272 Sat Jul 15 2023 4:52pm
RRS4ED

United Kingdom 

No problem Paul, i didnt cut the bumper but there is a plastic piece behind the cover the chap in video below removes that i had to trim. It was to get the arms connecting to chasis fit through see the blue circles in picture attached.

&ab_channel=PhilTaylorTowbars

Click image to enlarge

Looking at the video its Tow Trust like mine

Post #634322 Sun Jul 16 2023 8:19pm
RRS4ED

United Kingdom 

Here is a video i watched before i fitted mine to get some tips

&t=621s&ab_channel=BraumachAutoParts

Here are more pictures of mine for some reason it wont save as rotated

Post #634323 Sun Jul 16 2023 8:25pm
paulkedwards

United Kingdom 

Wonderful, thanks again. The L494 I saw today wasn’t the one unfortunately so the D4 lives to fight another day. The search carries on 👍🏻

Post #634325 Mon Jul 17 2023 12:01am
RRS4ED

United Kingdom 

Whatever you do make sure it is a well specced and looked after one. Mine is an AB and there isnt a single feature that i dont use. Hope you find what you looking for.

If you can stretch get a 67 plate if not 65 plate onwards, mine is 14 but i think a Euro 6 engine would make the life easier, with all the ulez malarky.

Euro 6 came in 16 plate onwards but with 67 you have better infotainment and clocks also 67 will be on a cheaper tax bracket once surcharge is over than a 17 plate, until they find another way to extract money out of us.

Failing that 15 plate onwards the engine had a tweak where it puts out 306ps instead of 292 but 65 plate onwards the climate control would let you turn on heated seats without having to wait infotainment too boot up.

Post #634331 Mon Jul 17 2023 8:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1