Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Looking for advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Onlyme

United Kingdom 
Looking for advice

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to get a rrs and thinking of getting a 3.0 v6 but not sure what year I'd be looking at for best reliability.
I was informed that 2011-2012 do not have the common crankshaft problem as it was uprated in those years.

I am open to suggestions on what other model years to look at if they have proof that the crankshaft has already been sorted out.

The vehicle won't be used for towing and it would be mostly motorway miles to work twice per week and then some local running on my days off around town.

I've read about a lot of the common problems like the compressor failing, handbrake seizing, crankshaft failing, and turbos packing up.

But my question is... if I was to find a vehicle that was of an older year but had the work done, would it still be best to stay away from the older ones and opt for around the 2011-2012 ?

Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Post #629235 Sun Dec 18 2022 4:14pm
Lrstaylor

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bali Blue

Makes no difference my mates crank snapped on his rrs it's Russian roulette

Post #629238 Sun Dec 18 2022 5:06pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi and welcome,

as above the year makes NO difference 2011 or 2012 are no less at risk, that said % its a low risk anyway, buy a lottery ticket just in case and buy the best condition one you can find that meets your spec wanted list for your money.

you could argue and early model with 250k + miles is the best bet, if the crank has lasted that long its a gud un Laughing

and like triggers broom every thing else that needs replacing will have been done twice already.

recent history of work done is best to go on, belts done on time and mot advisories sorted ect.

happy hunting there are many to choice from.

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #629240 Sun Dec 18 2022 6:31pm
Crs

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Firenze Red

Brought a 14 plate petrol supercharged this year, 68000 miles , I can’t put up with constant DPF problems on the short journeys that I have to do, my sport came with a full service history and I think it had been fairly well looked after, in my short ownership I have had to replace front suspension bushes, gear knob selector , Alternator and battery, be prepared for bills or look at something else, and expect the Air bag light to make regular appearances on your dash, I am still working on that one. On the plus side there is nothing like a Range Rover, take that how you will 😂

Post #629247 Sun Dec 18 2022 11:29pm
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

It's not that bad. Never had any airbag issues. Suspension is obviously a point of interest, since the car is heavy and works the suspension intensively. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #629249 Mon Dec 19 2022 10:03am
Boxers

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Avoid the V6 and get a V8, that's the advice I was given and so glad I took notice of it the V6 is just a ticking time bomb, no matter how well they've been looked after.

Post #629254 Mon Dec 19 2022 11:58am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I'd get a late TDV8 if it was me. Having had a TDV8 and a SDV6, the 8-cylinder is the better engine (the SDV6 is a lovely engine but in combination with the 8-speed gearbox it feels slow/laggy) compared to the low-end grunt of the TDV8 with the 6-speed 'box.

The TDV8 can have issues with the turbos but the crank etc., is not an issue and turbos are easy enough to replace and cheaper than a new engine caused by a snapped crank. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #629257 Mon Dec 19 2022 12:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1