RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Tracker Options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RRT

United Kingdom 
Tracker Options

I have Ghost fitted and my incontrol secure subscription is coming up for renewal.

LR want circa £360 for a 2 year renewal, so as I am looking to be a long term owner, I am wondering about installing a 3rd party tracker with a lifetime subscription on an upgraded S5 tracker. A tracker is required on my insurance.

2 tracker companies seem to offer lifetime subscriptions, Smartrack (circa £1150 all in) and Scorpiontrack (circa £1050 all in), so payback is circa 6 years.

I am tending towards Scorpion as the key fob in my opinion is better than carrying a credit card type FOB. (I have a separate keyring for house keys so would have the FOB on this, whereas I sit on my wallet and feel I may break the card).

Any experience or thoughts etc? MY17 RRS 4.4d V8 Autobiography - Aintree Green (also referred to on Topix as British Racing Green)

Post #625854 Wed Aug 03 2022 9:27am
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

My thinking is that the LR tracker is useless as it is factory fitted so the thieves know where it is and can rip it out quickly.

I went for a Ghost and a Scorpion S7 Tracker. I preferred not to have the fob type as that is a separate immobiliser and with the Ghost, I felt it was unnecessary, especially if your keys are stolen, the fob makes it a vulnerability.

It cost £400 to have both fitted and I pay £9.95 a month for the subscription to Scorpion.

So the Ghost works as the immobiliser and the Scorpion S7 works as the tracker.

Neither have fobs that can be stolen.

Oh, and most importantly, don't forget to turn off keyless entry!

Cheers 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
2005 4.2L Supercharged Java Black - gone but was my first love.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #625857 Wed Aug 03 2022 12:15pm
abiopete

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

I've got an Apple Airtag in mine wrapped in foam hidden in a very discreet place. L494 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Chile Red (Current)
L320 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Baltic Blue (RIP 29/03/2021 insurance total loss)

Post #626012 Tue Aug 09 2022 9:18am
Sudds

United Kingdom 

I have the LR one as its still got 18months left of its 3 year period you get with the car, but i will certainly look about when it runs out.

Post #626014 Tue Aug 09 2022 10:47am
keith63

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

i have the Smartrack tracker ( Insurance requirement )
they are upgrading it tomorrow , and also including a immobiliser controlled via Mobile App

https://smartrack.uk.net/trident-thatcham-s7-2/

had it for 3 years now ,
there are different options to pay see link

keith

Post #626016 Tue Aug 09 2022 12:59pm
Kot

abiopete wrote:
I've got an Apple Airtag in mine wrapped in foam hidden in a very discreet place.

If the thief has a iPhone he will get a message that an AirTag is in his vicinity

Post #626089 Fri Aug 12 2022 6:03pm
Kenniff

Scotland 

Actually the thief’s mobile phone will only notify them of the airtag’s presence when the thief gets to their home (the location the thief’s iPhone thinks of as their home). Assuming the thief takes it somewhere other than their home, the thief won’t get a notification. The anti-stalker protection in the airtag system is location-based, not time-based. current: RRS HST P400 engine ( 2021) Hakuba silver

Post #626278 Thu Aug 25 2022 6:05pm
Kot

Wrong-- look at apple site.
iPhone will notice it’s traveling with you and send you an alert. After a while, if you still haven’t found it, the AirTag will start playing a sound to let you know it’s there.

Post #626282 Thu Aug 25 2022 9:19pm
Kenniff

Scotland 

So it seems this is a bit of a movable feast. The article I read was in 2021, and Apple keeps changing how the AirTags respond.
Here’s a link to something more recent, that suggests it’ll still be at least 8 hours before someone will get notified.
https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/10/2292737...e-stalking current: RRS HST P400 engine ( 2021) Hakuba silver

Post #626283 Thu Aug 25 2022 9:38pm
Farmer Chalk

The thief will definitely get notified…a group of us went to Le Mans this year and all of us were being continuously notified that an Apple AirTag was in our presence.. it belonged to one of the group who had one on his keyring.

If you are buying a tracker the best on the market is a battery powered Cantrack T7 device. We use thousands of them at work and they are utterly brilliant! Hide it deep within the vehicle and you can keep it and swop it easily when you swop cars!

Post #626284 Thu Aug 25 2022 10:09pm
abiopete

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Kot wrote:
abiopete wrote:
I've got an Apple Airtag in mine wrapped in foam hidden in a very discreet place.

If the thief has a iPhone he will get a message that an AirTag is in his vicinity

Only when he gets home, by then its too late and i know where he lives. Also, he's got to find it in the car; its really well hidden and sound insulated! L494 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Chile Red (Current)
L320 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Baltic Blue (RIP 29/03/2021 insurance total loss)

Post #626513 Thu Sep 08 2022 8:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1