RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > SDV6 Engine issues ever resolved??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Harveyp500

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Got to admit I do not know much about the crank failure issue but i have along with my daughter had up till now 4 of the 3.0 litre diesels and, as yet, touch wood, had no engine or crank issues what so ever.

That said, and not sure if it makes any difference with this problem, we do cover around 2k miles a month each, drive them fast, keeping them within the speed limit-ish of course and service them as soon as they ask for it with a few extra oil changes thrown in just for good measure at our local indy garage. 2023 D350 FIRST EDITION, SANTORINI WITH CLOUD/EBONY
2009 2.7 TDV6 HSE SANTORINI BLACK
2020 p400e Autobiography Santorini

GONE
2018 3.0 SDV6 AUTOBIOGRAPHY, CARPATHIAN GREY, SANTORINI PAN ROOF, IVORY INTERIOR. Now gone but will be missed, Cracking motor.
2015 3.0 SDv6 HSE DYNAMIC CORRIS
2014 3.0 SDV6 HSE FUJI WHITE CONTRAST SANTORINI PAN ROOF.
Evoque 2.2 d Pure Tech Auto
P38 4.0 HSE
Disco 2.5 d XS

Post #618174 Mon Oct 18 2021 4:30pm
Chips

England 

Just read this on another forum, I wonder if there is any truth in it as it seems quite unbelievable if there is !

The reason why your crank split is that some idiot at the factory over stressed it, when straightening it after it had been ground. The culprit was eventually discovered and sacked on the spot!
He had been using 2 & 1/2 times more pressure that he was told to, thinking he was doing LR a favour, rather than binning cranks that needed more than the maximum force recommended to straighten them. He’d been doing it for 6 years. MY 18 RRS HSE Dynamic ,MY 16 RRS Autobiography now gone & MY 2005 Discovery 3 HSE that I will be buried in !

Post #625012 Sat Jun 25 2022 8:12pm
Johnrrs

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Zambezi Silver

Mmm interesting… I suspect LR would never admit to this but if it was true they should know what crank shafts went into which vehicle and should have recalled them all…..

Post #625013 Sat Jun 25 2022 9:46pm
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

Chips wrote:
Just read this on another forum, I wonder if there is any truth in it as it seems quite unbelievable if there is !
The reason why your crank split is that some idiot at the factory over stressed it, when straightening it after it had been ground. The culprit was eventually discovered and sacked on the spot!
He had been using 2 & 1/2 times more pressure that he was told to, thinking he was doing LR a favour, rather than binning cranks that needed more than the maximum force recommended to straighten them. He’d been doing it for 6 years.

And when did this happen? And could you please post a link to the other forum/post? thanks

Because for the first time ever (that I know of), a recent D5 ate its crank: https://www.facebook.com/groups/784537394985099/user/745885060

Quote:
After some engine advice.... I currently have a Discovery 5 with the SDV6 engine which has had the infamous crank failure, only 31K miles and was while in The Netherlands on a highway (we are from the UK).
So we are looking to swap to a RRS, most likely a 2018+, and want to avoid the crank issue. What would you recommend as the best engine? Wondering about the 3.0 V6 Petrol, maybe the P400e, what about the 4.4 V8 Diesel, does it have the same issue? I know not all the SDV6's have the issue, but not willing to go down that route again, being stuck at the side of a highway with the kids when it is a known issue not covered by extended warranty was not fun.

...my Discovery 5 was approved used, had full main dealer service and was on an Extended LR Warranty. Dealer service manager has confirmed that the extended warranty will not cover the engine failure due to crank issue as it is a known issue, however LR will usually foot the bill but on a case by case basis based on service history, having an extended LR warranty and brand loyalty....
 --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #625022 Sun Jun 26 2022 10:44am
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Chips wrote:

He had been using 2 & 1/2 times more pressure that he was told to, thinking he was doing LR a favour, rather than binning cranks that needed more than the maximum force recommended to straighten them. He’d been doing it for 6 years.

Total rubbish I would say, they are still failing on the Disco5

https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread3383.html 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #625030 Sun Jun 26 2022 3:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12