RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Transfer box differences
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

MJRRS4.4

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Sumatra Black
Transfer box differences

Hi thanks for accepting me in the group, I have a problem with my RRS transfer box it sounds like chain slipping when hard acceleration from a junction etc it’s ok if you drive it easy ( in slippers i say ). The car is probably not worth the price of a new trans box but I see lots of them about on eBay mainly diesels but I thought they are same part for all? Only reason I question was one breaker was selling two one 2.7 and one 30.D the latter twice the price he told me they are the same but 3 ltr ones always fetch more ? If they are the same part how ? And I have a 4.4 so wanted to make sure I don’t get the wrong one if there is a difference thanks

Post #616005 Wed Jul 21 2021 5:03pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The transfer boxes are all the same - Magna Steyr DD295. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #616023 Thu Jul 22 2021 9:13am
MJRRS4.4

Thanks a lot , that is what I originally thought so just was puzzled when the broker stated the 3.0 ltr boxes always fetch more money than a 2.7 🤷🏼‍♂️ If there are the same ? I wonder is there any rational that the smaller HP engines will have not put so much load through the box , it’s a risk buying any breaker unit so I’m just trying to minimise based on age and miles … I would assume a 4.2 supercharged unit will have a harder life than possibly a 2.7 or 3.0 ltr unit ? Thanks again 👍🏻

Post #616026 Thu Jul 22 2021 9:23am
RRSTDV8

The transfer case is rated to a maximum of 2500Nm torque. Obviously that's the output from the gearbox.

As to which engine puts it under most strain, I'd say that how it was used would be more important. A 4.2SC sitting on the motorway would be asking a lot less of the transfer box than a 2.7TDV6 towing a heavy trailer in low range across a field, for example.

If you can find a suitable replacement in a breakers, it might be worth considering servicing it before you fit it - assuming you're intending to keep the vehicle for a while. You could replace the input and output shafts and bearings etc. Or not, of course. Laughing

Anyway, if you're feeling a bit nerdy, this is great write up of what's in the box and how to strip it etc. It's on the full size Range Rover but it's the same unit across the later L322 (full fat RR), the L320 (RRS) and the L319 (Discovery 3 and 4)
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic12404.html

Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #616027 Thu Jul 22 2021 9:56am
MJRRS4.4

Great , thanks very much for that detail , I agree totally but now feel I’m not buying the wrong one , I’ve seen a few and as I’ve had this RSS for 12 years it’s been pretty good and owes me nothing I will give the replacement box a service and change the bearings as you suggest so should help I just sold the 2017 HSE dynamic 3.0 only had it a couple of years so this old girl is going to keep going a bit longer ! Thanks again for the help and I’ll update you on the progress 👍🏻

Post #616028 Thu Jul 22 2021 10:38am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I guess 3.0 ones are newer and less miles, so can ask more £

Post #616029 Thu Jul 22 2021 11:32am
RRSTDV8

MJRRS4.4 wrote:
I will give the replacement box a service and change the bearings

You can find the workshop manual here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/yunzrqm47py4pww/RRSL320WSM2006.pdf

That will help you with taking it apart, putting it back together, etc. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #616048 Thu Jul 22 2021 7:12pm
MJRRS4.4

Great many many thanks Much appreciated

Post #616053 Thu Jul 22 2021 9:52pm
garrycol

Australia 

What makes you think the issue is the tfr case - it sounds more like a gearbox torque converter issue to me. 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #616056 Fri Jul 23 2021 3:25am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

There is a chain in the tx box

Post #616061 Fri Jul 23 2021 9:48am
MJRRS4.4

garrycol wrote:
What makes you think the issue is the tfr case - it sounds more like a gearbox torque converter issue to me.

I took it to an garage thinking drive line noise under load , i described it initially as it felt like splines slipping under hard acceleration but I knew that would be pretty terminal once something stripped like that so was a bit confused , you can actually make it do it and stop it by immediately lifting off the gas , the garage said they were sure it was the transfer case chain slipping and it actually sounds like that as I can imagine it quite easily and when you lift off the gas it stops ? it doesn't sound like a torque issue to me( I Hope ) I will get the breaker unit and service that and pull the old transfer box and strip that to see if i can see the chain issue maybe before installing the replacement ?

Post #616062 Fri Jul 23 2021 10:05am
RRSTDV8

Spline wear on the gearbox output shaft / transfer box input shaft is a known issue.

Indeed, when I had the torque converter done by Bristol Transmissions on my old TDV8, they found the splines were worn and wouldn't do the TC without me agreeing to replace the respective output and input shafts. The problem with the gearbox output shaft splines is that the entire gearbox has to come out of its casing and the shaft is installed from the inside. They didn't want to do the TC and then have the splines fail later and me blame them. I can see their point.

I'm still amazed that the chain would slip in the transfer box. It's a hefty chain and whilst chains can stretch, I'd be surprised if it would do enough to jump the teeth on the sprockets.

Thinking about it further, if you're going to get a breaker unit and open it to change the bearings etc., why not just service the unit you have? New bearings/output shafts, new chain, job done. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #616063 Fri Jul 23 2021 10:14am
MJRRS4.4

Good Point only it is more a question of time , I don't have a ramp so having to utilise the garage who diagnosed the problem remove old unit / have the replacement ready to refit will be a much quicker process than strip and repair!

The breaker unit I have coming is from a 2010 3.0 D RRS with apparently 58K miles on from accident damaged car so hopefully a reasonable unit but no guarantees ( especially as you can be told anything they want you to hear ) , anyway the price paid was pretty good and cheaper than I've seen a new chain itself but if the chain has been jumping and other threads say they can I have no doubt that the two gears the chain runs on will be also damaged so before you know it I will be replacing Chain/ gears/ bearings / flanges etc so I don't think it will be cost effective, also if its a spline issue in the gearbox , from the noise it makes it would be terminal as splines can wear and have play in but cant imagine then they are fine when driven normally without any fast load ..???? my rational at this point anyway fingers crossed

Post #616064 Fri Jul 23 2021 11:10am
RRSTDV8

As you say, fingers crossed. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #616065 Fri Jul 23 2021 12:15pm
elboffor

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Stornoway Grey

I have the exact same symptoms as this. Did it turn out to be the chain? Mine had the same diagnosis from the garage

Post #623777 Fri Apr 22 2022 4:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1