Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Ingenium I6D (D350) OBD analysis: DPF Regeneration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

harisson

Switzerland 
Ingenium I6D (D350) OBD analysis: DPF Regeneration

Hello all

I have an ELM327 dongle and the Torque app on my smartphone.
My HST D350 is now 6 months old and has 5600km on the clock. I just wanted - for fun - to check which PIDs the Torque app can read from the ECU.
I was surprised: the Ingenium inline six Diesel (D350) delivers a lot important PIDs as standard (you don't need to define dedicated PIDs). For example:
- DPF temperature (inlet, outlet)
- CAT temperature
- EGT temperatures (4 sensors in total)
- coolant temperature
- oil temperature

I found out that the EGT sensor 2 is equal to the CAT temperature
Sensor 3 = DPF inlet temperature
Sensor 4 = DPF outlet temperature
I suppose that sensor 1 is before the CAT, because this temperature goes up and down depending of the engine load.

the oil temperature delays about 10 degrees (C) to the coolant temperature, but is reaching quite quick the temperature of 80-87 degrees.

I would like to share the Excel graph from my drive today. I drove to the office at 8.00h (15km one way) and the car was parked in the garage until 12.00. Then, I drove home and took a record of the drive.
You see the temperatures of DPF inlet/outlet, CAT and the EGT sensor 1
As you can see after only 3km the DPF temperature is slightly over 400 degrees. at that moment I was accelerating on the Autobahn to ca. 125km/h. the temperature is then going back to ca. 320 degrees.

if you take a look on the x-axle at ca. kilometer 11, I left then the Autobahn. the EGT S1 is falling down, because of no engine load.
So, between x-axle 3km to x-axle 11km I was on the AB with ACC set to 130km/h (GPS about 125km/h).

the Ingenium Diesels have the "close"-mounted CAT/DPF - in the graph we can see it - the DPF temperature is as high as the CAT temperature and we don't have a temperature gap as the old Lion V6 had. partially, the DPF temp is higher then the CAT temp. during the Autobahn drive it was constant above 300 degrees.

I will update from time to time. my goal is to fetch an active DPF regeneration to see the values during the regenerations.
I suppose with >300 degrees in the DPF the passive regeneration is happening.
(In the documentation of the Lion V6 is written, that the passive regeneration is starting when DPF reaches 250 degrees. Active regeneration will happen in two phases: first, temperature goes up to 500 degrees and second up to 600 degrees)

now.. take a look at the graph Smile

Click image to enlarge
 Range Rover Sport HST D350

Last edited by harisson on Fri Apr 08 2022 9:17am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #623210 Tue Mar 29 2022 1:33pm
harisson

Switzerland 

hello all

this morning on my way to the office just before the highway exit I saw that the DPF Inlet temperature is increasing rapidly over 400 degrees.
I decided to drive to the next exit (ca. 8km) to see how the tempratures will change now.
during the drive I had a recording of desired PIDs like EGT on sensor 1, DPF temperature of inlet and outlet, CAT temperature etc.

I would like to share my experience with you because there are now a few Ingenium inline-six Diesel cars on the roads, but I suppose that it is to "fresh" that someone has done analysis.

please note:
- every picture has on the x-axle the trip distance. so, you see the driven kilometers and related to them all the values above
- at ca. 12km on x-axle I normaly leave the highway

which indicators are showing me, that an active regeneration is ongoing?
- normally, I disable the start/stop automatic. during the regeneration I left it on. I had to stop (3rd picture at 17.96km) and the automatic didn't stop the engine
- the consumption at 100, 120 and 130km/h is normally jumping from 6.5 to 9.5 liters. during regeneration the consumption was at a level of 13 - 16l/km
- normally the engine idles at ca. 680rpm. during regeneration it was at exactly 750rpm on the ODO (3rd line from 0). the torque app showed 803rpm. during idling you hear, that the engine is working harder.

Below you see the graphs with some text to explain the situation.
if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask

I hope that my experience is useful for all of you.

my driving profile:
- 2-15km to office and back. it depends of my calender, but sometimes 4times a week and sometimes once
- on weekends we drive the car more often and trips with 2x30km are done
- I try as hard as I can to fill up with premium Diesel without FAME-parts in the Diesel

enjoy!
cheers
harisson

Picture 1
- DPF inlet temp
- DPF outlet temp
- Cat temp
- Exhaust gas temperature on bank 1 / sensor 1

summary: you see the temperatur jump at about 8.7km at x-axle. the temperature of the DPF is increasing rapidly over 600 degrees
in total the regeneration took ca. 11-12km. during that time I was on the highway and turned in half way to drive back. so, the car was the whole time in movement

Click image to enlarge

Picture 2
the same like picture 1 without the EGT temperature - you see a nicer graph

Click image to enlarge

Picture 3
the same like picture 2, but I took the GPS speed into the graph. for unknown reasons the GPS speed was recorded a bit late. I was on the highway at 4km on the x-axle and driving 130km/h with ACC.

Click image to enlarge

Picture 4
in this picture you see the "DPF delta pressure". I found this PID in the app and thought it could be interesting. you see at 3.28km on x-axle that the pressure is going up (I was then accelerating on the highway). the pressure goes then up to 27kPa (on the right side you see the scale). at 16.38km it's shown that the pressure is going back to - I don't know - more/less 5kPa. I have seen that the pressure is at ca. 8kPa when driving 130km/h.

the colours of the dotted lines are not clearly distinguishable but the "lower" one which is going up to 90 degrees (scala on the right side) is the engine coolant temperature
the other dotted line with the two "camel humps" is the GPS speed.
I just wanted to see how the coolant temperature reacts during the regeneration, but as you can see, the temperature is stable at plus/minus 90 degrees

Click image to enlarge
 Range Rover Sport HST D350

Post #623430 Thu Apr 07 2022 6:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1