Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Back again - new (to me!) P400e
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

hoppy_70

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
Back again - new (to me!) P400e

Took the plunge on Friday after having a short break in a D4, and bought this:

It’s a 2018 HSE dynamic in silicone silver. Very pleased so far! Still an amateur when it comes to plug in hybrid so any tips would be hugely welcomed. Public charging tips would also be good (once my cable arrives!) Thumbs Up Range Rover Sport HSE DYnamic SDV6 Velocity blue 2020 MY
Range Rover sport HSE Dynamic P400e Silver
Range Rover Sport 3.0 SDV6 HSE Dynamic 2016 MY
Range Rover sport 3.6tdv8HSE 2007 Gone
Range Rover sport 2.7tdv6SE 2005 Gone
Range Rover sport 2.7tdv6SE 2007 honey
Range rover Vogue 2005 4.4 - GONE and missed
BMW 535d M sport 2006 - GONE not as missed
BMW X5 4.4 2004 sport - GONE

Post #623181 Mon Mar 28 2022 4:19pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

As an owner of a FFRR P400e, I would say dont even think about charging a P400e from a public charging station because it wont charge any faster than from a 7.2kW wallbox charger you can install at home. The charging rate of the P400e is max 7.2kW so its going to take just as long to charge it from a public charger as a home charger which is minimum 2 1/2hrs. Of course if you do have 2 1/2hrs to waste, you could go to a motorway service station and annoy eco willy waving EV drivers by blocking a charger for that amount of time. From personal experience, I can tell you they won't be happy. It would also give you time to reflect on the fact that the 4 cylinder petrol engine in the P400e is not nearly as nice as a 6 cylinder one and how the extra weight of the batteries spoil the ride and handling as well as reduce the boot space and remove the spare wheel well. After that 2 1/2hr wait, maybe you might be thinking you should have bought a diesel?

Post #623331 Sun Apr 03 2022 12:43pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Quote:
It would also give you time to reflect on the fact that the 4 cylinder petrol engine in the P400e is not nearly as nice as a 6 cylinder one and how the extra weight of the batteries spoil the ride and handling as well as reduce the boot space and remove the spare wheel well. After that 2 1/2hr wait, maybe you might be thinking you should have bought a diesel?

Or maybe he picked it because he likes it and, like all of us with every vehicle we buy, thinks any potential shortcomings are made up for by the aspects he does like. Whistle Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #623344 Sun Apr 03 2022 11:45pm
hoppy_70

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I’m taking you aren’t a massive fan then Mike? Having had a TDV6 and TDV8 I’m not really seeing a drop in performance? This is quite a bit quicker than my 2015 3.0. Handling seems very similar but I don’t really Chuck it around anyway and lots of cars have dumped the spares (I’ve never used one!).

Im new to charging and only currently have 3 pin at home (new ICS charger will be up and running this week). I’ve scoped a few public chargers near where I work and they are almost always available. There are also a couple of free ones on a retail park, but both are out of order (probably why they’re free!).

It IS a bit of a faff organising it, but (for me) better than paying nearly £2 per litre for diesel! What is a public charging typical cost like? I haven’t even tried doing it yet Laughing Range Rover Sport HSE DYnamic SDV6 Velocity blue 2020 MY
Range Rover sport HSE Dynamic P400e Silver
Range Rover Sport 3.0 SDV6 HSE Dynamic 2016 MY
Range Rover sport 3.6tdv8HSE 2007 Gone
Range Rover sport 2.7tdv6SE 2005 Gone
Range Rover sport 2.7tdv6SE 2007 honey
Range rover Vogue 2005 4.4 - GONE and missed
BMW 535d M sport 2006 - GONE not as missed
BMW X5 4.4 2004 sport - GONE

Post #623346 Mon Apr 04 2022 6:43am
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Download any or all of the charger apps, Plugshare, Zap Map and Chargemap and you can see all the chargers and also eliminate the ones that are no use to you ( DC ).

The only issue is that there are multiple providers and so no standard approach to usage and payment.

The only time I have been able to charge away from home is for overnight stops in hotels and at a shopping centre we were visiting for a couple of hours.

Otherwise it did not make any sense as I was only stopped for 15 - 20 minutes for coffee breaks. etc.

If you do find one that you are going to use on a regular basis then it is probably worth downloading the providers app and creating an account. 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Last edited by jimbg on Mon Apr 04 2022 10:00am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #623348 Mon Apr 04 2022 9:42am
RRSTDV8

The non-standard approach to the charging network is going to have to change in the future. We have a single standard for petrol/diesel and it should be the same for charging. Having to have a plethora of apps and accounts, etc., is just silly. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #623349 Mon Apr 04 2022 9:48am
mikef

United Kingdom 

hoppy_70 wrote:
I’m taking you aren’t a massive fan then Mike? Having had a TDV6 and TDV8 I’m not really seeing a drop in performance? This is quite a bit quicker than my 2015 3.0. Handling seems very similar but I don’t really Chuck it around anyway and lots of cars have dumped the spares (I’ve never used one!).

Im new to charging and only currently have 3 pin at home (new ICS charger will be up and running this week). I’ve scoped a few public chargers near where I work and they are almost always available. There are also a couple of free ones on a retail park, but both are out of order (probably why they’re free!).

It IS a bit of a faff organising it, but (for me) better than paying nearly £2 per litre for diesel! What is a public charging typical cost like? I haven’t even tried doing it yet Laughing

No I'm not a great fan. I ordered the FFRR P400e in 2020 as a bit of an experiment after many years of running diesel cars as my daily driver/business car including the last 3 being RR/RRS's. I did have 7.2kW chargers installed at home and at work and I am religious about plugging the car in at the end of my 23 mile commute to and from work so, unlike many PHEV owners, I am charging my P400e as much as I can. The problem with all PHEVs including the P400e is not short journeys but long journeys. For my commutes to/from work I regularly see 100mpg+ on my InControl app which is great but for journeys longer than around 30 miles, the battery charge drops to zero and the P400e becomes a car with an extra 200kg of useless batteries and electrical stuff on board driven by a small petrol engine. I regularly see 22-24mpg on long journeys which makes a mockery of the P400e's so called planet saving credentials. Overall, I'm seeing around 35mpg on the tripmeter but of course that doesnt take account of the cost of electricity for charging the car so actually my P400e is exhibiting little or no total fuel cost saving over an equivalent diesel RR. And then if I consider the other things I dont like about the P400e which I've mentioned previously and thats why I'm not its greatest fan

Of course if I had a different driving profile which involved fewer long journeys and more short journeys, particularly in urban environments then I might be seeing a genuine fuel cost saving but whether that would be enough to make up for the other shortcomings of the P400e as I see them, I dont know

FWIW I was fortunate enough to be invited to the new RRS Reveal at Gaydon yesterday and it seems that new P440e and 510e versions of the new RRS/RR are much improved over the P400e. The batteries are now located low down in the centre of the chassis instead of under the boot so there is no loss of boot space or spare wheel well and apparently because the weight of the batteries are lower and more central, the ride and handling is not compromised. Apart from that the battery range should now be in excess of 50 miles and crucially, a 50kW charger is now fitted which makes public charging more viable. I've probably violated the NDA we all had to sign by writing that but hey it is good news!

Post #623351 Mon Apr 04 2022 11:12am
RRSTDV8

I think you've hit the nail on the head there - the earlier PHEV implementations were obviously bolt-on projects rather than engineered in from the beginning of the car's life. The new ones obviously have been designed and engineered to take the kit and so will be (or at least ought to be) a much better product. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #623368 Mon Apr 04 2022 5:39pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Actually its a testament to the engineers at L-R that they managed to turn the L405/494 platform into an acceptable PHEV at all given the fact the platform was designed a decade ago when PHEVs were only an eco warrior's wet dream Smile

Post #623374 Mon Apr 04 2022 8:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1