RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > NaviPlus Carplay install in 2010 RRS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

AndyCHO

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Ipanema Sand
NaviPlus Carplay install in 2010 RRS

I thought I would start this thread to try and document the installation of the NaviPlus Carplay package into our 2010 RRS.

Our system is the Denso system and is a piggy back design (as you will see from the installation instructions) which leaves the Vehicle info screen intact but when you want Navigation it brings up Apple Carplay.

I ordered the system earlier this week after much deliberation as it isnt cheap. It was delivered today (Friday) but I wont get a chance to start the install for about 2 weeks due to travelling for work.

This will end up being Picture heavy.. so I apologise for theat now.

First up are pictures of all the items that arrived today. Next installment will be after the 26th unfortunately.

Post #620933 Fri Jan 14 2022 6:48am
Ken 153

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Galway Green

Following. Thumbs Up

Post #620944 Fri Jan 14 2022 3:58pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I wonder if the touch screen works with the OEM interface Whistle

Post #620946 Fri Jan 14 2022 5:30pm
AndyCHO

Yes... the original touch screen still works.
This is the same unit in a Discovery 4

Post #620949 Fri Jan 14 2022 9:48pm
Crraigymmmmm

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

following

Post #620957 Sat Jan 15 2022 8:56am
Ken 153

AndyCHO wrote:
Yes... the original touch screen still works.
This is the same unit in a Discovery 4

Thumbs Up

Post #621070 Tue Jan 18 2022 4:50pm
Darkangelv2

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Definitely looks more complex than the Bosch systems. Best of luck and please post as many photos as you like! I’m watching with great interest.

Also, out of interest, does this system allow any video apps? I know a lot of aftermarket CarPlay systems allow Netflix etc. and wondered if this one did as well.

Post #622198 Thu Feb 24 2022 7:46pm
AndyCHO

I am not usre of any videeo apps... my wife just wants to be able to use Apple Carplay for Nav and Podcasts etc... the Navigation in the car is so out of date out here..
I havent had a clear weekend to get stuck into it so far.. and this weekend isnt looking good either.. but I will get to it soon.

Post #622212 Fri Feb 25 2022 3:39am
AndyCHO

Today was D day for the install... having read and re-read what substitutes for an installation manual I ripped in...
And when I say ripped in you really do have to haul very hard to get some parts out (centre econsole top especially) and it is all a bit daunting the noises it all makes...but so far no breakages and up till now it has been mostly straight forward.

Sequence should be be...
1 Pop out CD cover.....
2 Drop glove box and using brute strenght and trim tools remove the upper cover clock, starter button etc... be careful of the cables.
3 Undo all the screws you can find... actually... follow this link (trust me... it isnt this easy to remove these bits)

Once you have access to the main unit and the screen remove the torx screws and remove the Screen unit first... this is where all the "surgery" happens.

Here is the full unit on the workbench

You need to remove the angled bracket and the screen frame... plenty of small screws so be carefull.

This is what you end up with... the screen lifts away and you have the ribbon cables to contend with.

Now the fun begins...
Disconnect the 2 larger screen ribbon cables (lift the clip and they slide out) then seperate the screen from the unit.
You end up with this....

While the instructions were a bit vague it was pretty simple to figure out what went where... There is a new FPC cable (no idea what that stands for) which piggy backs the other connections and the Sub Board goes in the recess and is protected and secured with the cloth tape they provide (very sticky stuff). the small ribbon cable from the screen is popped out and inserted into the sub board... it all makes sense with it on the bench.

Here it is all taped up and ready to move to the next stage. NOTE: the cables that connect to the sub board dont lock in and I felt that there was a good chance of vibrating loose or moving during install so I put plenty of the sticky cloth tape on to hold it all in place.

You can see what I mean here...

I will leave it there for the night... I have progressed to actual installation but the pics are rubbish so I will take more in the morning and then add to the post tomorrow... all up today was about 3 to 4 hours... 2 of those at least were pulling the dash and console apart.

There is just 1 wire which I am unsure of... if you read the "detailed" installaion manual it shows 1 power wire connecting to terminal 14.. I still need to sort that out and then I will be able to test it.

Post #622726 Sat Mar 12 2022 1:39pm
AndyCHO

So... onto Day 2 of the install... This was last night with the interior lights on... Blue LED's

I did some testing first thing this morning and the system wouldnt boot up.. tried with the wire and without but nothing, so out came the screen unit again..

This is how the Touch board looks mounted on the back of the assembled Screen unit.

I pulled the screen off and double checked all the connections... sure enough.. one of the ones I was concerned with wasnt fully home.. so I did it all over again and made sure nothing was going to move.. then re-installed it all and tested...
Yes you do need to splice into the power cable for the screen... teminal 14 which is a blue and purple wire... I used a Narva red Power take off... easier than splcing and soldering.

Behold..... I now have Car Play....

I tested it on the USB connection and the sound is far better than when we were running it of a Lightning to 3.5mm converter..
The Naviplay has BT as well as the cars BT but I am not sure if you can have 1 phone connected to the BT on the Naviplay and 1 to the car... that would work well for my wife if that is the case.

I then spent the best part of 2 hours routing everything neatly and mounting the 2 units so they wont rattle etc. The 2 wifi antenna are mounted inside the console, the USB is into the centre cubby and then it all went back together again.

We tested it with my wifes phone as well.. phone calls are great... sountd is great and using Waze she has good up to date GPS.

It is all pretty simple once you start the car the normal screen comes up...If you hold down Nav button for a few seconds the initial start screen for the Naviplus comes up where you can choose to connect to BT and then select either Car Play or Android Auto... we only have Apple phones so that part was easy.
When we connected to BT on my wifes phone it automatically connnected via WiFi so she can keep her phone in her bag for short trips if she wants to.

Before you select Car Play you need to go back to the Audio screen on the normal LR systems and select Auxilliary. If you dont you wont get any sound.

After that it is all plain sailing.

All up it wasnt too difficult to do the install... now I have done it I believe I could do it again in under 4 hrs...

Easilly option for anyone willing to give it a go...

A few more pics...
This is the main start up screen

Standard LR home screen...

Main Carplay screen

Post #622747 Sun Mar 13 2022 7:20am
Darkangelv2

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Well done Andy, it looks great! Thumbs Up

This bit sounds a little annoying.

"Before you select Car Play you need to go back to the Audio screen on the normal LR systems and select Auxilliary. If you dont you wont get any sound."

Assuming the RRS standard Nav had sound, it's disappointing they couldn't utilise the same audio channel. Mind you, i guess the standard Nav also allows Radio etc to play whilst in use so they would need to fully cut that off too.

Are you overall pleased?

Post #622791 Mon Mar 14 2022 11:56am
AndyCHO

Overall I am happy with the install... the Wife is very happy...

the new system utilises the Audio input which is why you need to select it.. but it gives a much better sound than if you plugged into the 3.5 Audio plug... so overall it isnt a big deal... once you know of course Smile

The benefit of Apple Car Play is you can have night mode come up based on the phone settings... if you have an Android you need to connect up another wire as that isnt a function on those phones... other than that.. it does the job well.
I havent tried replying to txt messages using voice but it should work.
The only part of it all that couldbe better is the touch screen response... the older touch screens are not as reactive. This is fine for just touching to activate Waze or Spotify but it is a bit hit and miss to scroll sideways... but the screens were never intended for that purpose so all in all it works well.
I am actually just waiting to hear if my Company Car is going to be written off, it is a 2019 Santa Fe AWD that had a run in with a large rock... substantial mechanical damage underneath.. if it id written off I will seriously look at Car Allowance and buy another RRS... probably same year 2010 or 2011 and if I do and I can still get the same kit... I would fit it again Smile
The one I want is a 2010 HSE with 5.0 litre V8 (I wont be paying for the fuel Smile )

Post #622793 Mon Mar 14 2022 12:46pm
Ken 153

Brilliant thread & thanks for the info & pics. Thumbs Up

Post #622798 Mon Mar 14 2022 6:05pm
Puslinch

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Firenze Red

After a few months of sitting on the fence I purchased the Unique Auto unit for my MY12 with Bosch screen. Looks a bit easier to install and will report back. 2018 Telsa MS
2012 Range Rover Sport HSE+
1990 Porsche 944
1985 LR 90 Soft top V8

Post #622821 Tue Mar 15 2022 10:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1