RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

syl

United Kingdom 
Tyres

My tyres have between 2 and 3mm of tread left (my wife's Evoque is worse). Managed 35k miles and the shoulders are worn more than the centres which have 3-4mm left. I usually check pressures a few times a year - they were 1-2 PSI down as the temperature has reduced but I guess it's a heavy car and the shoulders probably wear a little more anyway especially on the front.

I know some tyre companies suggest changing at 3mm (though Michelin say that's a waste and they should work just fine down to 1.6mm) so I like to change between 2-3mm and obviously it's probably more useful to change coming up to winter when more tread is required.

I could have strung it out to spring but thankfully all is not wasted as KwikFit (my local branch has been pretty good in the past) has 20% off for Black Friday so I've bitten the bullet and ordered new Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons. Same on the other car.

Whist we're on tyres - do you all rotate them? If so, what pattern? Any recommendation for trolley jacks and axle stands? I did have LR rotate my wife's once during a service but they charged me about half an hours labour, which will probably buy a jack/stands! RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #619530 Fri Nov 26 2021 4:27pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Each to their own but Kwikfit, even at 20% discount, are not known for having the cheapest of tyres. BlackCircles.com would probably have the same tyres cheaper and that includes sending them to a local tyre place to fit.

If you are able to get them cheaper then its more worthwhile to get them changed at 3 or 4mm as it'd still cost you the same in the long run and retain better grip. As they get closer to the legal limit, you're more liable for aquaplaning and lateral loss of grip, so makes sense to change earlier rather than eek out that last little bit of life.

As to swapping, I tend only to do front to rear as there's not (in my opinion) a lot of difference these days, whereas I think it was more important 40 years ago - can't recall why, crossply?

Post #619534 Fri Nov 26 2021 6:16pm
syl

United Kingdom 

(and would I be better with a bottle jack) RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #619535 Fri Nov 26 2021 6:16pm
syl

United Kingdom 

Pufftmw wrote:
Each to their own but Kwikfit, even at 20% discount, are not known for having the cheapest of tyres. BlackCircles.com would probably have the same tyres cheaper and that includes sending them to a local tyre place to fit.

Thanks - I was nearly kicking myself because I forgot to recheck Blackcircles today when I was looking at discounts and they have a deal too - Blackcircles have 15% off. But they are still cheaper for me at KwikFit (and they are convenient for me as they're right next to the supermarket where I can go shopping whilst they're being fitted). RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #619538 Fri Nov 26 2021 6:30pm
Farmer Chalk

Sounds a good deal….
Be aware of internet tyre providers… recently had to buy four new Pirelli Zero all seasons for my daughters FL2… a little cheaper than Blackcircles and Kwikfit but by the time you add fitting, balancing and disposal there’s often not much in it!

Bought these four from Tyreleader.co.Uk…. They arrived a week later with no tracking data and therefore no idea when they were going to turn up. Checked the date of manufacture and found they were made over 3.5 years ago! Outraged I contacted customer service who ignored me for over a month…saying they were looking into it and had to wait for an answer for their warehouse. Despite daily chase ups they just ignored me..
To return them they wanted a £25 charge per tyre… so I was in a lose lose situation… as they are based in Andorra there is no way you can challenge them legally…
In the end I just had to bite the bullet and fit them….
Moral of the story…go to Kwik fit!

Post #619543 Fri Nov 26 2021 9:26pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I had a similar experience with Black Circles - which I have used many times in the past. Purchased two tyres from them and when one later got a puncture my local tyre place commented, as they took it off to fix, that it was quite old (3-4 years old IIRC) which was a bit surprising as it had been bought about 6 months earlier. My tyre place was not surprised as they said this was how Black Circles could do the tyres so cheaply. Note to self to check when making my next purchase. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #619592 Sun Nov 28 2021 2:18pm
syl

United Kingdom 

Well, I bought his and hers new tyres from KwikFit.

On Friday a new 50" TV turned up. I've only gone and won their draw. I'm surprised that I won and even more surprised I heard nothing from KwikFit (yes, I checked my SPAM folder). I got an email from Sony saying my order had dispatched (which I thought was SPAM and ignored) and then another from the delivery company saying it would be here between 1-3pm - and it was!

Glad I went for the tyres now and not later.

https://twitter.com/Kwik_Fit/status/1463470137638592515
https://www.kwik-fit.com/offers/black-friday-win-a-tv

RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #619902 Sat Dec 11 2021 10:38pm
Farmer Chalk

Awesome awesome awesome!
Well done! Bow down

Post #619903 Sat Dec 11 2021 11:06pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Nice one 👍 Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #619905 Sat Dec 11 2021 11:43pm
syl

United Kingdom 

Apologies - it appears I did miss an email from Kwik Fit saying I won. They use a space in their name so my search in the spam email folder missed it. Anyway, I got a better surprise by it simply turning up. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #619908 Sun Dec 12 2021 8:17am
Bertbuckie

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

hahaha jammy Censored ! well done!

Post #619912 Sun Dec 12 2021 9:34am
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Great news and we’ll done. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #619920 Sun Dec 12 2021 11:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1