RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Tow bar fitting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

houghta

United Kingdom 
Tow bar fitting

So if I buy the 2012 RRS I will want a tow bar fitted, what is required to get this done, does it come with the electrics ready to be connected? Is there somewhere for the tow bar to attach, should I get a detachable or fixed(will be towing a caravan) is there a recommended make?

Post #618313 Fri Oct 22 2021 11:18pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

You can use the detachable tow bar as LR designed it so. The bars sell for around for £150 ish.and you’d be lucky if it came with the car. There is a cutout for it in the boot floor along with the other tools, when your looking at your potential purchase. Behind the removable panel you’ll be to see if any electrics are fitted beside the slot for the tow bar. Now there have been experiences where the tow bar has detached with a load fitted. I think it’s fair to say it’s up there with the crank failures, it happens but not as much as you think. Lastly you could fit a permanent fixture. My sketchy knowledge say westafella. Others will along to give more info and their experience. We just use the detachable one for towing our trailer when needed, but it’s obviously not comparable with the weight of your tintent. Hope this gives you a starting point. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #618315 Sat Oct 23 2021 9:07am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Never had a problem but as precaution I use one of these with the detachable tow bar on mine, but to be fair don't use the tow bar much.

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/kit434-s...0032-p.asp

Cheers
Col

Post #618316 Sat Oct 23 2021 9:43am
Boxers

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Same here never had a problem but I fitted one , tow a twin axle Elddis Crusader Storm.

Post #618318 Sat Oct 23 2021 11:07am
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

LR obviously do a fixed towbar, similar to the Disco adjustable height one that hangs down quite a bit. I fitted a Trust TL1, which I think is tidier - its a simple DIY fit too. Oh & a new TL1 costs about the same as you can get a second hand detachable one!

Electrics, unless previous owner did them, you have to get installed - guide here. Again a simple DIY job

Post #618322 Sat Oct 23 2021 4:28pm
Col

On a 2012/13 car the three plugs are already behind the rear bumper, just need to remove bumper and connect the trailer link lead with the trailer socket to them. Fuses are already in the n/s footwell fuse box, but need to tell car tow bar wiring fitted something to do with rear parking sensors so they don't keep going off if trailer connected if I remember right.

Cheers
Col

Post #618332 Sat Oct 23 2021 10:20pm
AndyCHO

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Ipanema Sand

Click image to enlarge

these pics are screenshots from a video I found on YT but they are identical to mine.
Interesting find today while looking for a spot to run the antenna cable for my phone booster. I removed the fuse box cover in the engine compartment to look for a grommet to use (couldnt find one so more looking needed) and had a good look at the fuses. Mainly to try and see why the horn doesnt work... but I digress.
At the firewall end you have the Relays and then there is a bank of 6 what look like square fuse holders... on the symbols one of which (2nd row to the right, FL6) looks to be for the tow pack and flappy paddles (didnt know they were available on the 2010).
I wondered why my reversing sensors stayed on and nothing showed up as trailer connected when I hook up a trailer..
I put it down to my trailer lights being LED but.....
On the build spec for mine it was delivered with no tow pack, even though the wiring is all there from the factory. I think they did that so they could update them from Stock for Australia.
Where do I find some of these nice little square fuses or micro relays or whatever they are? And will that make the trailer connection work?
Horn relay and fuse are in the engine compartment shown on 2nd pic.
Plus does anyone have suggestions on where to rout the antenna cable? It is on a bracket screwed to the bonnet hinge, passengers side.

Post #629824 Wed Jan 11 2023 10:40am
p38

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Firenze Red

Col wrote:
Never had a problem but as precaution I use one of these with the detachable tow bar on mine, but to be fair don't use the tow bar much.

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/kit434-s...0032-p.asp

Cheers
Col
IS IT EASY TO FIT ?

Post #630723 Thu Feb 09 2023 4:19pm
Col

A little fiddley but not overly difficult, picture below shows one fitted, picture previously posted by another member if I remember right.

Post #630724 Thu Feb 09 2023 4:51pm
Dave B

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

NOW SOLD

I used this maybe half a dozen times on my 2010 RRS, and as the car is up for sale, will sell for £160 including p&p.

Includes tow ball with 2 keys, security plate and socket bung.

Dave 2010 3.6 TDV8 HSE (Gone)
2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago)

Post #630727 Thu Feb 09 2023 7:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1