RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Review after nearly 3 years of RRS PHEV
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Garry

United Kingdom 
Review after nearly 3 years of RRS PHEV

2018 Range Rover Sport P400e (PHEV) review.

I just sold my 2018 / 68 RRS after nearly three years and a paltry 9533 miles. I’ll get the issues and negatives out the way first.

During a map update it wiped everything from the sat nav, so spent a day at the dealer being fixed.

I had to stop and start the car between 5 and 10 occasions as the screens did not boot up.

The map software had our road mis spelled and always said I was parked at my neighbours house 300 yards away. I stopped using the map app that should allow you create your journey on your phone or tablet then transfer to the car early on, it rarely sent the planned journey to the car.

The heating/cooling fan would on rare occasions have a mind of its own and blow the air either wildly or not at all.

A couple of comments to Land Rover:

1. The 31 miles electric range never happened once. I argued this early on and was told it was up to 31 miles. I notice nowadays they say 25 miles which is more realistic, but on a cold day forget it.

2. The plastic door pillar panels on the exterior in black. Please change to a material that does not show every swirl and scratch so easily.

On the plus side, comfortable, loads of room, 400bhp = very capable and quiet at high speeds. The Meriden stereo is nearly as good as the Naim I have in another car. Electronic gremlins aside the amount of data and customisation using the three screen options means everyone should be able to set the car up as they want. I had the matrix led headlights which were a good choice. Also the head up display means you really can keep your eyes on the road.

I downloaded every journey I had completed from the Land Rover web site. Here’s the key stats.

Number of journeys : 1055
Total miles 9533
Miles run on electric either 100% or combined with the engine : 4801
MPG for total journeys : 74
Number of journeys where only electric was used : 401

In conclusion, despite the electronic and software gremlins I am glad I bought the car. I would buy another but not until there is a full electric version. If anyone has questions feel free to ask. 2018/68 RRS PHEV - Indus (sold)
2008 RRS Tdv8
1995 Discovery diesel.
Lots of other non Land Rover cars.

Post #617635 Thu Sep 23 2021 4:30pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Fantastic summary for a potential buyer.

As a P400e owner of 2 years nearly, 8500 miles, I have had many electronic gremlins with the screens, but to a lesser extent. No issues with ventilation, but there I suspect our cars might differ, I have 4 zone climate.

The max EV range I got was 46 miles Thumbs Up Back to the real world… Typically in London slow traffic I’d say 18 miles. 31 miles is easily achievable on long runs with the wind blowing in the right direction, no passengers and a few long down hills! I wish EV running was longer, sure.

I get 30 or 35 mpg, I think, when I looked last. 74 mpg must take a heck of a lot of EV-only driving. But that’s the thing - for local pootling about, you CAN easily do EV only for days at a stretch. I worked out EV-only is basically half the fuel cost of regular driving. Not that I care about saving, but still, it’s a valid data point. The bigger point is EV running is calm and serene.

For swirl marks, the new L460 uses glass instead of plastic, so maybe the new Sport will too. I have mine Gtechniq protected and on annual maintenance my detailed can get the plastic perfect again very easily. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #617649 Thu Sep 23 2021 10:08pm
Garry

United Kingdom 

I quite like the stats so downloaded all the journeys. Out of the 1055 journeys only 8 were over 100 miles. The highest being 118 miles. We spend about 1/3rd of our time at our house on the Isle of Wight. Just over 88% of journeys there are 100% electric and mostly pretty short. The rest are on the Island are 80%+ battery only.

I noticed on my 8 long journeys that the MPG was in the late 20’s to low 30’s MPG. So probably not much better than a standard petrol?

I meant to add in the review, my reason for buying this in the first place was because I wanted petrol not diesel. It was at the time when LR temporarily stopped the 3.0 petrol. My choices were 5.0 or 2.0. I felt the 2.0 would be a bit underpowered, the 5.0 unnecessary for me. The PHEV is a great alternative providing you have charging points at home.

I agree Ilard, there is an element of serenity when on EV only. I’m going full electric next week with an I-PACE. I will possibly be back to LR when they launch the full electric in the next few years. I still have another car if I want noise! 2018/68 RRS PHEV - Indus (sold)
2008 RRS Tdv8
1995 Discovery diesel.
Lots of other non Land Rover cars.

Post #617656 Fri Sep 24 2021 9:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1