Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Birmingham emissions charging
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Grimble

United Kingdom 
Birmingham emissions charging

Any comments on this?
I'm not a fan. I imagine those in lower paid jobs and already hard pressed retailers aren't either, but then again tax is an automatic cure for all society's ills isn't it?
Guaranteed to enrage the yoghurt-knitters was the quote from Michael Winner when the London tax was introduced 'Great, keeps the poor people off the roads'. Wasn't many years before average speeds were back to pre tax levels, congestion just as bad, but at least there's millions rolling in to be wasted (spent on things for your own good).
Todays vehicles are cleaner than ever, with much less emissions, so its not about pollution, its about revenue. RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Nemo mortalium omnibus horus sapit

Post #614218 Wed Jun 02 2021 11:49am
ilard

United Kingdom 

No issues from the P400e crew Rolling with laughter

But sorry for your stress. When London went through the same I had a 2011MY diesel that I was not necessarily ready to swap out. That said, no regrets, loving my new clean ride.

Seriously, if the arse is going to drop out of the pre-adblu market then better cities invoke these things first giving a chance to exit that vehicle market while values remain strong-enough. Weirdly, from an economical diesel, you’ll likely find solace in a V8 petrol. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #614282 Thu Jun 03 2021 8:36pm
Grimble

United Kingdom 

I'll just avoid going in to Birmingham and take my money elsewhere, just as I did when London kicked it all off. You could argue that the policy worked in my case, yet the people that depend for a living on those driving about probably have a different perspective.
So glad I live out in the country. RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Nemo mortalium omnibus horus sapit

Post #614298 Fri Jun 04 2021 9:41am
richamartin

2013 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

Personally i like the idea, from someone who historically travelled into Birmingham regularly, the worst offenders are ancient cars with little idea of how to drive. Getting rid of these drivers will mean a significantly better experience for the rest of us.

HOWEVER...They should have created a solution before launching the scheme...whether that be park & ride, more busses etc.

Frankly, it only applies to something ridiculous like pre 2006 petrols and pre 2012 diesels. So i can't see it having such a massive impact based on my journey in today (First one in about 9 months!) Now
-----------------------
2022 SVR
2021 Bentley Continental GT
2020 Defender 110
2022 Defender 90 V8
Plus 16 other toys! Wink

Post #614319 Fri Jun 04 2021 4:10pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Not being familiar with Birmingham what sort of area does it cover, just the city centre?. No 1 Son has just got a job withe the Police and is soon to move there. He drives a 55 plate diesel Fiesta (ironically an ex-panda car), so I’ll let him know as he’s house hunting at the mo. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #614342 Sat Jun 05 2021 5:16am
richamartin

2013 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

It's mostly the main city centre, everything inside the A4540 Middleway ring road. Though people living in the area, can apply for exemption.

https://www.brumbreathes.co.uk/info/1/welcome/1/welcome-1/2 Now
-----------------------
2022 SVR
2021 Bentley Continental GT
2020 Defender 110
2022 Defender 90 V8
Plus 16 other toys! Wink

Post #614344 Sat Jun 05 2021 6:11am
Devon Z

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Fortunately none of these places I have any need or desire to visit just feel sorry for the “poor” people that have to. Steve

2005 2.7 TDV6 HSE, ongoing project.
1998 Volvo V70 R auto FWD, mothballed future project.
1999 BMW Z3 (owned from new) garage queen.

Post #614354 Sat Jun 05 2021 9:16am
Ash3

United Kingdom 

richamartin wrote:
Personally i like the idea, from someone who historically travelled into Birmingham regularly, the worst offenders are ancient cars with little idea of how to drive. Getting rid of these drivers will mean a significantly better experience for the rest of us.

HOWEVER...They should have created a solution before launching the scheme...whether that be park & ride, more busses etc.

Frankly, it only applies to something ridiculous like pre 2006 petrols and pre 2012 diesels. So i can't see it having such a massive impact based on my journey in today (First one in about 9 months!)

Martin, not everyone can afford to buy new cars orvspend a few thousand on later used cars.

These schemes disproportionately hit the less well off....they designed to fleece .. generate money rather than any sort of environmental impact.

The biggest negative environmental impact is by road narrowing, road closures which cause more congestion which is exacerbated even more by displaced traffic from chargeable zones and forcing all drivers onto narrowed roads creating standstill or slow moving traffic.

This stationary or slow moving traffic causes far more environmental damage than steady speed moving traffic.

These policies are ill.thought out and often designed by people who themselves live well away from the areas...often out of town...to they have little knowledge and even less appreciation or care for impact on local communities.

Post #614362 Sat Jun 05 2021 1:09pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

" The worst offenders are ancient cars with little idea of how to drive"
Who do you think you are. You think you are better than anyone else, yes we would all be touching our forelock as you waft by.
I was going to say a lot more but its not worth it on idiots like you, your so far up your own backside you could not see the sun if you tried. Range Rover Sport: Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe: 992 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post #614369 Sat Jun 05 2021 3:39pm
1richard1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Its just another tax, especially for the working class i cant get an electric van that will do the miles i require in a day example today birmingham to london 4 different areas around london, then up to leeds (as traffic nightmare yesterday) then back to brum. There is no option for me but to have diesel van, so i have to pay CC, ULEZ, Clean air charge and 50% extra for parking in certian areas of london.

I have to pass these charges onto the clients which in turn they have to pass onto their customers, and funny enough since the congestion charge started i noticed no less traffic in and around london, the CC was such a success they now have the ULEZ.

Strange though london that pre pandemic look to the sky and about every 30 seconds there was a plane taking off or landing but they are not subject to the above taxes.

As we head for carbon neutral it is only another tax on the poeple, most houses to go green will need between £10k to £20k to replace their gas combi boilers, yet the goverment still allow builders to put combi boilers in new builds.( wait till people need to find space to stick a water cylinder with heat source pump systems)

Carbon neutral/electic vechiles is a back door tax that is meant to benifit us, really america, russia, china, india if they dont play ball, 60 million odd of us brits aint going to make a difference to golbal warning, and that is if its not just a natural cycle of the planet maybe nudged along by us humans.

Thats my rant over as i been home an hour time for zzzs before being up at 5.30 to do it all again, would that be enough time to charge an EV up?

Post #614378 Sat Jun 05 2021 9:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1