RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Air suspension issue!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Benrrs2021

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Air suspension issue!

Hi all,

New member here having recently bourght my first RRS (2010 facelift 3.0 tdv6).

Loving the car so far but have a slight niggle with the air suspension and im hoping someone could help as a google search doesnt seem to be giving me anything.

Before buying the car it had a new rear ACE bar fitted, new front lower arms and lots of other minor bits done.

When i turn the car off i hear a hiss from the rear right corner (assuming its a valve block venting or similar) and the rear right corner only drops to around access height. Sometimes it doesnt hiss and just drops slowly but often it will hiss and go asif i have hit access mode. This only happens when i turn it off. If it was a vlave block venting wouldnt i be right in thinking both rear corners would drop?

I am suspecting a possible air bag issue but the venting sounds more deliberate and not like a leaking bag if that makes sense as it goes very quickly but does not give an issue when driving and cant hear any leaks when running.

The car will also not go into access mode as it gives the suspension extended warning.

If not a leaking air bag could it be as simple as a suspension calibration is required? (Im thinking about buying an iid tool so i can do this myself).

Tha ks in advance for any advice! As i say the only thing thats really getting me is the fact that it only seems to effect one corner and vents and drops so fast when the ignition is turned off.

Post #613198 Mon May 03 2021 11:39am
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

My immediate concern would be a constant leak from the pipework or airbag which would cause the compressor to run all the time which will kill it very quickly and land you with a big bill. If you can hear the compressor (under a black plastic cover nearside chassis rail mid car) constantly running when the engine is on, it needs looking at ASAP.
If the compressor doesn't run other than topping the air reservoir, then I would think it could be a crossover valve, height sensor, or calibration issue, or anything else really. Lot's of people on here have a code reader and this will give you a good starter for 10 Thumbs Up
I had my rear N/S cocking it's leg , the fault codes told me it was either the sensor or a wiring fault and it turned out to be the height sensor.

Post #613203 Mon May 03 2021 2:01pm
Benrrs2021

Thanks for the reply!

Yea i dont hear the compressor running all the time, just kicking in occasionally. Think i will hold out till i get an iid tool and hope it is a calibartion or sensor issue. Tried with a generic reader but it couldnt get into the EAS ecu.

Post #613208 Mon May 03 2021 2:28pm
Oldandconfused

I used my lads Autel MK808, although the GAP IId is a favourite on here, and there were several fault codes, mostly lost communication and the thing that confirmed the height sensor was 0 volts from the sensor on that corner (IIRC the other sensors were around 5 volts). The Autel has a suggested course of action field which came back as sensor fault or wiring. I would have stuck a new sensor on but I have a shoulder injury and doubt I would have got the wheel back on, so left it until I could get it into a local indi who changed the sensor (along with 2 rear struts, 2 front wheel bearings, and rear ARB's, skint now).

Post #613214 Mon May 03 2021 8:10pm
Oldandconfused

Have you seen this;
https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=613207#613207
I'm not sure if it's what you had in mind, I don't even know what they go for new, just a thought.

Post #613215 Mon May 03 2021 8:12pm
Benrrs2021

Thanks for the heads up oldandconfused! I have the Gap iid tool sat in a basket ready to order for £438 inc VAT. Think i will just take the plunge to be fair as i know im going to need it and dont want the hassle of having to sort new licences and transfer of ownership etc.

Having just bought the car it does still have an RAC warranty on it but i know these arent usually worth the paper their written on and dont wanna get lumped with a big labour charge for investigation when the RAC turn round and say its not covered as they have an expected life of 2 miles!

May have a chat with the indi i bought it from, seems like a good guy and good with land rovers but he is in wolverhampton which is a good 2 hour drive so id rather know whats going on first then see if he can do anything with it while i wait.

Post #613223 Tue May 04 2021 7:07am
Oldandconfused

If you've had it less than 3 months, unless proved otherwise it is considered that the fault was present when you bought it and it's the dealers responsibility to fix it. I take your point that it is always best to go into these conversations armed with the facts, and fault codes and an indication of the fault will help you. Height sensors are about £90 on-line, the garage where I took mine was £87.62 plus VAT and as he was doing the rear struts he was there anyway.

Post #613244 Tue May 04 2021 1:36pm
Benrrs2021

well i bought the iid tool but no codes present relating to the EAS system. i will have to do a little more digging i think but yea i think i may just return it to the dealer. he seemed reasonable when i bought the car so hopefully wont be too much of a headache.

Post #613323 Thu May 06 2021 6:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1