Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > SDV8 Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black
SDV8 Questions

Alright Guys,

Back again, with a 21 plated MY20 SDV8 Autobiography RRS.

Just a couple of quick noise related questions, I feel like I've asked them before but can't find the specific post, anyway when you turn the car on there's a very low pitched type constant hum that you can barely make out that doesn't seem to go away - when you turn the engine on you can't hear it anymore but I don't think it's stopped, then just after you've started the engine you can hear what sounds like a miniature fan start up/wizzing type noise in the cabin for a few seconds then turn off again.

All a bit weird and on top of that the headlights also seem to be making their own noise for some reason!

Anyone know what all of these sounds might be thinking the engine ones might be emissions related but no idea. Previous RRS's haven't made lots of humming sounds whilst at standstill!!

Thanks!! Non JLR Vehicle

Post #612748 Sat Apr 17 2021 11:27pm
scarey

do you have adaptive headlights? if so it will the headlight motors making that noise as they 'dance' to get the proper level..

Post #612759 Sun Apr 18 2021 11:11am
DangerMouseUK

Hi Scarey,

Which one?

There's two humming noises, I think one is the adaptive headlights as if I turn them off it stops, but it keeps humming whilst they're on - is that normal?

There's another humming noise thats like a constant low drone separate from the headlights.

On top of that just after I start the engine you can hear like a miniature fan wizz up to speed and then stop again - never heard it before in an RRS!!!

Just wondering if all these noises are normal for the SDV8 engines as I'm still in a window where I can return it as I don't want to hold onto a lemon again.

Thanks for your help! Non JLR Vehicle

Last edited by DangerMouseUK on Tue Apr 20 2021 6:23pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #612765 Sun Apr 18 2021 7:10pm
gtr_skyline

United Kingdom 

Sorry can't help with the noises but congrats on the new car - would be great to see some pics
Prashan MY16, 3.0D HSE Dynamic, Barola Black, TV, Rear Entertainment, Opening Pan Roof, Meridian

Post #612808 Tue Apr 20 2021 8:51am
DangerMouseUK

Hey mate will get some pics up ! Smile

I've narrowed it down (with spleen's help) to the following;

1st humming: adaptive headlights (possibly faulty as there's a campaign out for my VIN)
2nd humming: somewhere from the engine no idea yet
wizzing fan noise: either secondary air injection or much more probable cabin temperature sensor fan due to it only ever wizzing after the car has been off for a while and only coming on for a few seconds after the engine starts

If anyone has any quick fixes for any of these please let me know. Non JLR Vehicle

Post #612809 Tue Apr 20 2021 9:18am
DangerMouseUK

Also one other thing,

Does anyone elses hot air blow with slightly less strength than their cold air?

Can't say I've noticed it in other RRSes before but when I switch it to hot air with the middle vents and fan mode 7 on it feels slightly less strong than the cold air if you turn the temp down.

Is that normal? Car is three zone climate if that helps.

Cheers Non JLR Vehicle

Post #612844 Wed Apr 21 2021 7:49pm
IRBails

Australia 

DangerMouseUK wrote:
Hi Scarey,

Which one?

There's two humming noises, I think one is the adaptive headlights as if I turn them off it stops, but it keeps humming whilst they're on - is that normal?

There's another humming noise thats like a constant low drone separate from the headlights.

On top of that just after I start the engine you can hear like a miniature fan wizz up to speed and then stop again - never heard it before in an RRS!!!

Just wondering if all these noises are normal for the SDV8 engines as I'm still in a window where I can return it as I don't want to hold onto a lemon again.

Thanks for your help!

Heads up display has a fan that makes a noise. It annoyed me so much I don't use HUD. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #615766 Thu Jul 15 2021 2:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1