RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > New Rims and Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

martrrs

United Kingdom 
New Rims and Tyres

Hi, I'm considering changing my 22" rims for a set of black 20" rims fitted with General Grabber All Terrain Tyres - 255/55R20 (that's the tyre size on the plate in the car). I'm hoping to try some off roading!
Are there any pitfalls to this change, will it adversly affect my motorway journeys, road noise etc? (assuming lockdown does end at some point!)

Thanks in advance.

Martin
2016 L494 SDV6 AB

Post #612144 Wed Mar 31 2021 12:13pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

All terrain tyres sometimes make a bit more noise than a pure road tyre but modern ones have almost got rid of that problem. You might notice a slight increase in fuel use. An all terrain tyre is likely to give slightly longer stopping distances than a pure road tyre. Nothing alarming but it's worth remembering and giving a bit more space in front of you if you can.

Also, the AT won't corner to the same extent as a pure road tyre so expect to have a "oh, ok!" moment if you throw it around as if it was on road tyres. Whistle

Having said all of that, I've been using ATs on my RRSs for years and it can be thrown down a fun road just fine.

Are you going for the Grabber AT3? A good tyre which is also winter rated - although it might be a bit worn by the time you think about that next winter, depending on your annual mileage.

The previous version, the Grabber AT, did get a bit noisy as it wore, and I found it could get a bit "loose" on wet roads, again when worn. That tended to present as power understeer so nothing too scary but worth remembering when the rains fell. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #612154 Wed Mar 31 2021 4:42pm
Drewlr4

United Kingdom 

Did the exact same to mine when i bought it last August and no issues to report and just a straight swap. If you have your radio on when driving you wont even know you have them on. Only time you hear a slight difference is on some of the older concrete roads and even then its minimal.
A great all round tyre that performs well both on and off road as well as in the snow. Thumbs Up

Post #612173 Thu Apr 01 2021 11:05am
Punkawallah

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Adriatic Blue

Having had my L320 and previous FFRR L322 on Grabber ATs, I immediately did the same when I bought my L494 as I do a lot of off-roading in the winter.

The increase in road noise was noticeably higher than in the older cars, perhaps due to the later chassis design of the L494 (ie no separate chassis like the L320. Also, I had a few VERY scary moments in the wet both cornering (understeer) and braking so I sold them and changed back to the Pirelli Scorpions which I find extremely good - even in fairly serious off-road conditions.

In short, I would personally avoid the Grabbers on a L494 unless you drive pretty gently on the roads, particularly in the wet.

Finally there seems to be a supply issue with the AT3s - my colleague has had his L494 off the road for 2 months now as they’re on back-order apparently...?!

Post #612190 Thu Apr 01 2021 6:37pm
Chips

England 

I have general grabber AT on 19 inch rims on my disco 3 and 21 inch scorpion verde on our 18 plate RRS , there is less road noise by far on the disco ! MY 18 RRS HSE Dynamic ,MY 16 RRS Autobiography now gone & MY 2005 Discovery 3 HSE that I will be buried in !

Post #612201 Thu Apr 01 2021 10:00pm
martrrs

United Kingdom 

Thanks for replies - I eventually went for the 20" black rims with Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season tyres as most of my miles will be on the road. I like the look and I think the ride and driving experience is better too.

Post #612790 Mon Apr 19 2021 12:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1