RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Cuts in Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

LandPhil

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand
Cuts in Tyres

I bought my car at 3 years old and negotiated a new set of tyres, Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asymmetricos. For the next two years, 2017, 18 she flew through the MOT with no advisories. In 2019 she failed for deep cuts in tyres with cords visible on all four tyres. The tyres had 5-6mm of tread with even wear and just looking at them they looked fine. Shocked, I replaced them with more Pirellis - my first mistake. The next year she passed but with an advisory for deep cuts in tyres. WTF was going on? Two weeks later I picked up a 4 inch nail in a builders yard and had to replace the OSR. A month later another puncture in the NSR (doubling the number punctures Ive had in my life.) so, another new tyre. Then, I changed my warranty to Motoreasy who offered immediate wear & tear cover if I agreed to a free health check, so I agreed. Much to my disappointment they use Halfords for this but it was only an inspection. My car came back with loads of chalk marks on the tyres, all four, and a report saying deep cuts in all tyres but legal.
At this point total despair set in. However I was in the process of bidding for a set of wheels for winter tyres and I got them. They have now been delivered and all of them are in good condition and the tyres have 6mm of good tread. But here’s the interesting bit, two of them are JINYU (Chinese) never heard of them and the other two P Scorpion Zero Asy. The wear on all four is identical and all four are 275 40 R20 106Y The Chinese ones have clean treads with no cuts but the Pirellis are cut to pieces and would not pass an MOT. That doesn’t bother me as I intend to reboot them. However, I have come to the conclusion that Pirelli’s are made of cheese. I believe that the MOT rules for tyres changed a few years ago but I’m not sure.
I know we have MOT examiners in the Forum and tyre experts too so opinions, comments would be very welcome and also any advice of which tyre - I’m am 95% on road with very light off roading on grass.
I know the UK roads are cr@p but even in Suffolk they are not that bad so as to destroy one month old tyres.

Phil

Post #609312 Thu Jan 28 2021 6:26pm
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

I have Pirelli’s which have been just fine, there must be something else going on Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #609314 Thu Jan 28 2021 6:44pm
Dave B

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Ask a Pirelli agent to send a tyre for examination.

Personaly not had any problems with either of my Pirelli shod motors.

Dave 2010 3.6 TDV8 HSE (Gone)
2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago)

Post #609320 Thu Jan 28 2021 8:14pm
keith63

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I had an MOT recently, all passed , but had 2 advisories on cuts in sidewall of tyres.
Tester suggested thesehad been caused by Potholes. one of them eventually popped via one of the cuts in tyre.
so be warned they are mentioned on an MOT for a reason..

Post #609326 Thu Jan 28 2021 8:52pm
LandPhil

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand

I’ve had no sidewall issues and never had a tyre failure, this is strictly cuts in the treads. Looking at the tyre on the wheel you don’t see any issues it’s only when you get the wheel off or up on a lift so you can examine it closely that you see the cuts.
I’ve had Pirelli on all my 5 Landrovers but never known this problem and I always change tyres at 4mm as they are pretty useless below that. When it failed its MOT in 2019 my indie said it’s now quite common since the MOT rules changed. What has surprised me is that the budget tyre from China ( I looked them up) has no cuts but the Pirelli was badly cut, and not from being on my car or on my local roads.

Next MOT (November) is no problem as she will be freshly shod with new winters but after that I will be looking at something with a bit more durability.

Post #609329 Thu Jan 28 2021 10:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1