RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > P132E-22 Boost control performance fault code
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

aaronjb

United Kingdom 
P132E-22 Boost control performance fault code

Herro, me again!

So I am pretty sure my 'christmas tree' of faults earlier is the battery - even after three weeks on the Ctek (via the caravan socket) the battery voltage at rest was only 12.0V which is a tad low (as reported by IIDTool, anyway). But, that aside.. behold, a new fault has appeared!

I have a persistent P132E-22 fault:

I've done a bunch of googling and read various threads here and at the Disco 3 forum, and watched a video of someone waggling the actuator from above - but I don't really want to have to remove the whole battery box (and the box on the other side) if I can help it and I'd read you could get at them through the wheel arch, so I took a look:

Click image to enlarge

I am pretty sure the part circled is the arse end of the turbo (the start of the downpipe)? So I'd assume the actuator should be around there somewhere - can anyone point me in the right direction Laughing do I need to go forward (in which case I assume the heat shields need to come off) or up (in which case maybe the arch liner needs peeling back)?

I am assuming, of course, that the fault is a sticky actuator after the car has been laid up for .. a while. I could do with using the car next weekend - at least I decided to give it a once over this weekend ahead of time, I suppose! Gives me a fighting chance.. 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #609059 Sat Jan 23 2021 6:07pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

Replying to my own thread but - I think I was looking too far back, wasn't I? I found a turbo for sale on eBay and the actuator is well forward of where I was expecting it to be (these turbos don't look anything like the good ol' Garrett GT25s I used to play with as a lad!): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-ROVER-L32...4212491019

So .. heat shields out of the way or am I better off taking the plastic boxes out under the bonnet? 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #609061 Sat Jan 23 2021 6:17pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

The disco boys have 1 turbo.

In your v8 you have one each side !

I’d recommend Wynn’s vvt cleaner fuel additive. (Purple bottle)
Then drive economically

Post #609063 Sat Jan 23 2021 7:50pm
Andy K

You can see the actuator linkage above the yellow tape

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284112622571

Post #609065 Sat Jan 23 2021 7:54pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

Aye yep, cheers Andy - that looks like the one I found on eBay too, and yep was assuming I had two, one on each side - I was also just assuming they'd be roughly half way along the block and lowish down, and maybe visible through the wheelarch.

Looks like the linkage is probably behind the heat shields though? That's a pain.. although we now have snow and I don't really fancy crawling around in the snow today! Do need the towing capacity to pick something up next week though.

Let's see if last nights italian tune up fixed it, or if the light comes back this morning..

[edit to be read in a Morgan Freeman voice] And yes, the light did come back on. [/edit]

Yeah - flags a fault when it cycles them during the self test. Don't think I'll be laying in the 2" of snow though .. on the short test drive also witnessed a double decker bus get sideways out of a junction before bouncing off a kerb and then got home to realise I'd forgotten to unplug the Ctek from the caravan socket before setting off Big Cry 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #609088 Sun Jan 24 2021 12:30pm
Andy K

Oops

Maybe have one person stand on the passenger side and another drivers side
Turn the ignition on for the cycle and see which side is moving ok with clunking and which side is just humming stuck.

The EGRs do the same so it’s difficult

Turbo’s tend to be at the back

Post #609106 Sun Jan 24 2021 7:41pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

Fixed!

So, I can confirm two things:

1) Turbo "B" is the passenger side (UK)
2) It was seized solid
3) It's a ball-ache to get to
4) I have no idea how people do it through the wheel arch, but once up in the air it's actually a doddle to get to from underneath with a long hooked implement (I bent up a 12" length of M5 stud)

OK, that's four things Laughing

If anyone needs to locate them in the future, you want to be under the car and look directly up just inboard of the chassis rail, roughly level with the point where the anti-roll bar crosses over the lower suspension arm, if that makes sense. Basically find that point then go toward the middle of the car about 9" and look up. Try not to drip WD40 in your eyes when you spray it up there, and work the linkage back & forth with a hooked implement.

The drivers side is dead easy (of course that side was totally free to move already), the passenger side is a little harder to see due to the prop shaft & front transfer box, especially as you tend to need the torch directly in front of your face! 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #609313 Thu Jan 28 2021 6:42pm
Andy K

Thumbs Up

Clearly the V6 and V8 have to be done in different ways Thumbs Up

Post #609315 Thu Jan 28 2021 6:47pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

Yep - at least this seemed the easiest, to me Smile

How I did it here:  2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #609338 Fri Jan 29 2021 11:18am
Andy K