RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Car wont start / idle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

sterling01

Scotland 
Car wont start / idle

Hi, my 3.0 SDV6 wont start and looking to see if anyone else has experienced same issue for a hopeful quick fix.

When I try to start it, the engine will briefly fire up for a couple of seconds at around 1100rpm but then just drops to 0 and switches off. No response to anything I do on the accelerator pedal. Battery is strong. No issues or warnings on the dash.

I tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it off for 10 mins just incase it was some electrical gremlin that needed reset, but it made no difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Current - 2014 Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
Gone - 2017 Audi A8 Sport
Gone - 2007 Range Rover Sport HSE TDV8 - Great car.

Post #608364 Sat Jan 09 2021 2:24pm
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Not exactly your problem but you ma try this

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/disco-3-not...cold+start '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #608367 Sat Jan 09 2021 3:35pm
pjbracer1

England 

have you got a fuel burning heater on you car? if you have a little remote separate to the key then you have might be worth using that if you have one and see if it warms the car enough to start it if its suspected cold weather issue.

I cant think its that cold up in your part of the world to make it not start though.

It does start so if it was temperature related i would have though it wouldnt even try and start. A rough idle could be fuel related I guess i know diesel can be odd at low temps but i dont think its been that cold up there, i think diesel starts to go gloopy or gels at - temps not sure what temp it is someone with more brains might know, but i think there is stuff you can add to it to stop this happening but not sure it would help now.

Edit****

just found this https://tap.fremontmotors.com/trusted-auto..._nuuOn7S1s

and this https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/@2656700/historic

so it could be the cold as it look like last night in your area it was down to -7

As a test you could stick a fan heater under the bonnet or similar to raise the temp in and around the enigne bay and try it after its warmed up a bit.

If its starting and cutting out i think electrics sound fine but without running or charging you might drain the battery if you keep trying it too much.

do you have an obdii tool or GAP tools to see if it has anything in th elogs or an error code in the back ground that might not appear as a fault on the dash?

be interesting to find out what it is if you do get it started, could be worth a call to the AA or RAC or whover you use to see if they can get it going

good luck mate if it is the weather then its gonna warm up a bt in the next few days for a bit bot sure for how long mind, its even - figures down here in the Southampton keys Wink If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Last edited by pjbracer1 on Sat Jan 09 2021 6:13pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #608373 Sat Jan 09 2021 6:07pm
pjbracer1

England 

flydive wrote:
Not exactly your problem but you ma try this

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/disco-3-not...cold+start

dig the signature! If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #608374 Sat Jan 09 2021 6:07pm
Red Arrow

United Kingdom 
Re: Car wont start / idle

sterling01 wrote:
Hi, my 3.0 SDV6 wont start and looking to see if anyone else has experienced same issue for a hopeful quick fix.

When I try to start it, the engine will briefly fire up for a couple of seconds at around 1100rpm but then just drops to 0 and switches off. No response to anything I do on the accelerator pedal. Battery is strong. No issues or warnings on the dash.

I tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it off for 10 mins just incase it was some electrical gremlin that needed reset, but it made no difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How low is the fuel Thumbs Up

Post #608378 Sat Jan 09 2021 7:06pm
Hog

Netherlands 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Buckingham Blue

sterling01 wrote:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Faulty crankcase sensor? RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux
RRS 3.0 TDV6 gone
LR 3 HSE V8 gone
DiscoveryII V8 Gone
Discovery 1 V8 Gone
Mustang Shelby
Alfa Guilia (classic)

Post #608380 Sat Jan 09 2021 8:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sterling01

Scotland 

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry, I have been off-line all day.

Fuel is at half tank

Car had its full 7 year service by Land Rover dealer in August, including all filters, fluids and belts.

Car still has 8 months LR warranty.

Car has been started all week and temperatures have barely got above freezing. So it could be a cold issue.

Tomorrow is meant to be wet, but 6 degrees, so I'll give it a go. Current - 2014 Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6

Post #608385 Sat Jan 09 2021 11:13pm
pjbracer1

England 

From what i read if the tank is half full any moisture in there will freeze quicker and then lower the temp and if the diesel does start to thicken then it cna take a while for it to thaw and turn back to its liquid state so it may been in the pipes and filters that gell quicker than in the tank.

I never new this about diesel so ive ordered some stuff to put in it just incase as not sure if the uk sel winterised diesle or not as its nt normally that cold but if the car is outside in a cold wind then the temp could be lower, its fine in the garage so for a few quid ill just get some just incase

good luck post back if it does start ok If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #608422 Sun Jan 10 2021 6:26pm
sterling01

Scotland 

Car started today no problem. Instantly, first touch of the button.

The temperature today was 7 degrees, where-as I mentioned the car had sat all wee in freezing or below temperatures without starting.

So it looks like a temperature issue. I dont have a code reader or IID tool, but the car is under warranty, so I'll get it booked in at the dealer for them to investigate.

Thanks again for all your help, Current - 2014 Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6

Post #608432 Sun Jan 10 2021 8:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1