RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Eye opening...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Farmer Chalk

My previous car had a number of warranty issues that required it going back to the dealer. I had to give the dealer network my access code and I never had an issue..

The one challenge they made when I had a spurious gearbox issue which was receiving mixed can messages was that JLR wanted the device removed to ensure it wasn’t the Ghost sending mixed messages... my fitter attended the dealers premises and deleted the immobiliser...

Once the problem was solved we reinstated it.

The latest versions of the Ghost operate in a different manner as early versions occasionally suffered problems... without going into details they are very clever devices!

Post #602092 Thu Jul 23 2020 9:55pm
DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

If you have Secure Tracker Pro which is Cat 5 or whatever the new category is, they can't start the car without that exact key no as that has an extra fob inside it that disables the car?

Or have JLR done it in a different more special way lol. Non JLR Vehicle

Post #602096 Fri Jul 24 2020 12:49am
Ash3

United Kingdom 

I had my one installed late last year. The fitter told me much the same. Newer devices are much better.

Good to know about no warranty issues Thumbs Up

Post #602097 Fri Jul 24 2020 12:50am
doncarlos45

United Kingdom 

I had my RRS 2020 model stolen a few months ago. Keys always kept in a Faraday bag well away from the front door. I suspect that they used similar methodology to what is being discussed here. Security was Secure Tracker ie Cat 6. First i heard of the car being stolen was when they tried jamming the tracker signal - 40 miles or so outside of London. No luck in getting the vehicle back.

I've just ordered a new RRS..this has Secure Tracker Pro which i believe is Thatcham Cat S5..with a separate fob.(driver Id i guess). Does anyone know whether this will prevent odb thefts???

Post #608216 Wed Jan 06 2021 2:37pm
Dave B

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

I have heard that the thieving scum will frequent a supermarket car park to 'catch' your key code, then follow you home. They then can come and get your car whenever they want.

Dave 2010 3.6 TDV8 HSE (Gone)
2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago)

Post #608217 Wed Jan 06 2021 4:10pm
doncarlos45

United Kingdom 
Re: Eye opening...

Dobby wrote:
Taken without the keys? Check out the link printed on the white sticker, on the ODB device in the 4th photo.

https://twitter.com/mpshavering/status/1283754208362201088?s=21

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Thanks

Scary website.....

Not clear to me whether the driver id tag will help or not in this regard....

Post #608221 Wed Jan 06 2021 5:51pm
doncarlos45

United Kingdom 

Dave B wrote:
I have heard that the thieving scum will frequent a supermarket car park to 'catch' your key code, then follow you home. They then can come and get your car whenever they want.

Dave

That is another possibility...thanks.

Post #608222 Wed Jan 06 2021 5:53pm
pjbracer1

England 

Also the pro thieves can grab the codes for your garage door so even that isn’t a massive help!

A lot of the time you will have been targeted anyway it’s not just random joyriders, they go for low tech hacks.

For the targeted thefts you will be followed or staked out or the valeter might be in on it (hence having the valet mode on the sat Nav so they can’t find out where you live! I always program my home as a nearby street just in case I forget.

They also can use a flatbed with a hoist on it and wait till you are away from the truck for a while and then lift it away, like a repo job and let’s face most people that see this happening are more than likely to be secretly thinking you’ve missed payments and out of jealousy won’t do a thing and probably laugh!
This is the most common way they go awol, I won’t go into details but sometimes it’s a combo of a cloned key, relay attack and a fake repro, he car will unlikely be found as it out of the country and any that have major issue with removing immobilisers get broken up for parts or are used as donor to make crash damaged cars legit again without involving insurance

RFID case or a metal box is pretty good for relay attacks and just stopping people getting in the car if the keys are nearby.

Keyless entry can be disabled by a dealer or the gap tool

If it can Ben secured someone will always find a way unfortunately If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #608231 Thu Jan 07 2021 2:08am
kmpowell

Wow, that is scary! Shocked

Lots of comments here about keyless scanning, pouches etc. I'd suggest you go the website and watch the videos, becasue this device simply plugs into the OBD without any need to scan/copy/catch a key signal. It's plug-in and drive away.

The thief simply gets into the car by either smashing their way in or 'picking' the lock using the lock pick tool, then plugs the device into OBD to start the car:

Full video here:

I have a new Disco 5 on order and I've paid for the Secure 'Pro' option, so hopefully that will stop this kind of theft, but I'll still be using my trusty old Disklok! SOLD - MY16 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic - Fire Engine Red, Fixed contrast pan roof, TV, Dual Screen, 5+2, Privacy, Noble paddles.

Post #608254 Thu Jan 07 2021 2:46pm
pjbracer1

England 

They have been around for a while its basically like installing a new ECU to get the car started, its used to eb an old trick if you went to a scrap yard and took the ecu from another car (same make) and then manayed to pick the lock, bump the central locking, or packing tape your way into the car you could swap out the ecu for your scrap one and use that to start it as the imboliser was part of the ecu.

Also to kill the alarm sound expanding foam used to solve that pretty quick too!

The biggest risk it the breakin in part for thes to work which is still the bit that attracts attention, if a relay attacked is carried out then they have the signal and code from the key and then just wait till you are gone and it theirs that said the alarm would be going off and if you have a newer model with telematics you will get a txt alert I assume.

But totally agree its scary. In Fact Id quite liek one just to see how well it works! and practice down at my local stealer!
It would be quite funny to shift the stock around over night so when they come in they would be like ???? (just wear a black hoody for the cameras!) If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #608257 Thu Jan 07 2021 3:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12