RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > L494 SDV6 - Intercooler hoses or Inlet Manifolds?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

2 RRS

United Kingdom 
L494 SDV6 - Intercooler hoses or Inlet Manifolds?

Hope someone can point me in the right direction with this problem: -

Please excuse the long post but wanted to give any readers all of the facts Big Cry

Bit of a saga this, MY14.5 3.0 SDV6 180K miles, broke down in French Alps late July and car was diagnosed at LR Main Dealer (SVA) in Gap. Apparently 2 intercooler hoses needed, €920 and 4 weeks later the car was fixed...

Got back to UK early September and checked the work over to find LH Airbox to flitch gasket left off and jubilee clips for bank 2 Primary turbo hose loose down at the bypass valve along with the airbox low pressure ductwork loose. Tightened up and all good until 2 days ago when the dreaded "restricted performance" popped up again with low turbo boost pressure DTC's.

Had a look and found the new pipe was blown clean off the joint where it mates with the steel tube to the primary turbo (also replaced apparently....). Easy fix thinks I and reattaches and tightens it properly this time (no I didn't check this one), goes on a drive and give it some proper wellie, very happy driving perfectly until today and yet again restricted performance. Scanned it (unfortunately only Snap On Solus Ultra so no LR extended codes) but it shows P006A - MAP Sensor, Air Flow correlation.

Checked the new pipe work over and found the one pipe they replaced (the steel tube and silicone elbow to the impeller) they hadn't bothered to fit the new elbow, probably as it's impossible to do to the impeller with the engine in situ, however with an endoscope I can see the elbow is good as are all other joints from the primary turbo to the bypass valve.

Cleaned the MAP sensor and still the same, so my thinking is as the boost was back to normal this has now caused the inlet manifold(s) to fail? Driving the car from cold it's all good for about 15 mins then goes in restricted performance, if I clear the code straight away it immediately returns once I accelerate on boost, however from cold it's good for 15 mins or so again, is this the inlet manifolds warming up and then the crack opening up under boost pressure?

Checked the manifolds and can't see any obvious signs of induction oil etc. does anyone know where they usually crack to point me in the general direction as a lot of the manifold is covered by sound proofing foam?

Where do I go from here ?

Appreciate everyone's time reading this and hopefully someone will chip in to help me out!

Have a good evening!

Mike

Post #604956 Sat Sep 26 2020 10:10pm
keith63

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

sounds similar to a fault i had on my RRS 3.0 2012,
over 1500.rpm limp mode and warning light ( same errors as your ) could reset whilst driving along, temp fix
took it to a reliable Indie garage , who straightaway said the inlet manifold .
whilst stationary revved quite high,
a a whooshing noise was coming from the rear RHS of engine compartment.
so booked in to replace . all sorted no problems since.

Post #604991 Mon Sep 28 2020 11:14am
2 RRS

United Kingdom 

Yes, looks to be the same here, left hand side inlet manifold is leaking when revved under load, just ordered both sides, fire washers and injector seals, looking forward to a a good few hours under the bonnet Shocked

Dealer friend advised to change both as there was a re-design with the area prone to cracking reinforced on the later items, don't want to have to do the job twice!

Post #604994 Mon Sep 28 2020 12:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1