RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Engine turns over twice and doesn't start problem?? Or quirk
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

ryan_holton

United Kingdom 
Engine turns over twice and doesn't start problem?? Or quirk

Hi, this is likely to be a comprehensive post detailing a strange behaviour I've noticed with my 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0L V6 HSE. I'm looking to find out if anyone else is experiencing this...

My car has got 101,000 miles right now and is reasonably well maintained by myself, I've had the car for just over a year and daily commute roughly 15 miles.

Recently over the past 2 months I've noticed that when I put my foot on the brake pedal and hold the push button to start the car, the engine will turn over about two times and will just stop... no warnings, no errors, and I'd have to let go of the starter button and go again, and it starts just fine.

It's happened to me twice on two different occasions within the past week, it happens in the mornings, and afternoons, the temperature outside isn't exactly cold - I never experienced this issue last year around this time. It's about 10 degrees outside.

I initially thought it was the battery, so checked the battery voltage using the hidden menu after a 24 hour period and the voltage had dropped to 12.2 volts, and if I leave it for a weekend, it'll drop to around 11.9 volts.

I recently had an amber "Restricted Performance" triangle upon starting the car, it went away after restarting the car - I got this checked out and there was a code linked to the fuel sensor, so this was cleaned, so I'm yet to see whether this has made any difference...

What are the chances that the starter motor is to blame here? There's no other codes, or errors - it's bizarre!

Post #604927 Sat Sep 26 2020 11:00am
idi

United Kingdom 

I had the same. But then realised it was because I was letting go of the start button too soon after pressing it. Holding it for an extra second or two solved the issue for me.

Post #604935 Sat Sep 26 2020 12:57pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

Still sounds like you battery isn't too healthy,,, dropping to 11.9V,, I'm suprised the car starts. I would be giving it an overnight charge to see if it improves at all. 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #604936 Sat Sep 26 2020 1:13pm
ryan_holton

United Kingdom 

I'm not too sure, the battery was put onto the car just over a year ago... surely the battery can't die after a year?

Post #604971 Sun Sep 27 2020 12:29pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

A bit of very speculative speculation here but here goes...

My car tends to get use most days - not long trips but shopping - or a jolly down to the coast. Recently climbed into it with friends to go for an afternoon tea and the battery was flat as a pancake. (Well it had enough to work the central locking but nothing from the ignition system). It had probably been sitting for 3 days and not been used. Charged it overnight with CTEK and its been fine ever since albeit I rarely leave it for 3 days without a run. Battery is about 18 months old and is guaranteed for 5 years plus.

So, I speculate that perhaps something in the wind-down process that the RRS uses after you've switched off, is not completing its cycle properly and so is draining the battery. I've no idea if this is right but I am sure one of our experts will comment on whether I'm talking out of my bum again!

I haven't bothered to look any further as the problem has not re-occurred. I did however read somewhere (was it on here?) that Yuasa batteries have a poor reputation for sudden failure. Mine's a Yuasa. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #604975 Sun Sep 27 2020 2:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1