RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Low Battery Warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

TheGoodWillOut

United Kingdom 
Low Battery Warning

past coupe of days, I've received low battery warning when starting the car. What kind of life expectancy should I be getting? car is only 2 years 3 months old, surely should be lasting longer than this ?

I do have dashcams fitted but these are connected to a tornado battery monitor kit which prevents discharge for parking mode etc.

Post #593984 Wed Jan 29 2020 4:21pm
Bardley

United Kingdom 

Any date on the battery? Any warranty on such a new car?
Do you do short journeys, using all the available electric gadgets?

These cars are known to be battery hungry, and some D4 owners use an Optimate or similar battery charger to maintain the car system on a regular basis. 2011 MY D4 HSE
Previously 2001 D2 TD5, 1996 D1 300Tdi, 1985 90 2.2 petrol.
Bikes! KTM, BMW, British, Classics and others.

Post #593986 Wed Jan 29 2020 4:25pm
TheGoodWillOut

United Kingdom 

battery is dated October 17 and yes vehicle is still under warranty.

I do a mixture of short and long journeys, Did 100 miles yesterday, got home and then then this morning low battery warning.

Post #593988 Wed Jan 29 2020 5:09pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

If its a L494 you have it will be the stop start battery,mine has done it on all 3 L494's ive had with dash cams fitted,to be honest ive just left mine as I don't like the stop start anyway. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #593993 Wed Jan 29 2020 5:31pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

I had that on & off for months even with Ctek connected. Dealer said nothing wrong Big Cry but Auto electrician discovered a parasitic drain which took 3 or 4 days to find as he had to try something, let the system close down then try the next thing etc.
Same as you , I could give it a long run then next day it would come up with the dreaded message. Very disconcerting as you wonder if its going to start

Post #594008 Wed Jan 29 2020 7:38pm
Rolo

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Chawton White

I’ve had a flat battery 3 times in the last 6 weeks. Fully charged with CTek 7 and in less than a week it won’t start.

It’s been a problem for more than 5 years, but extended standing has brought it to a head. Today I paid £160 for a Varna AGM battery as the dealer said there’s nothing wrong with my 4yo Bosch and he’s not replacing it under warranty as the battery was losing charge in front of your eyes. It’s been so bad that I can drive 200 miles and after half an hour of listening to the radio I’m told to start the car due to flattening battery.

Anyway, I’ve booked it in to an AutoElectrician to get it fixed.

Post #604766 Tue Sep 22 2020 2:18pm
pjbracer1

England 

HI Guys Im getting the same issue, been doing some short journeys of late and as its cold if Ive been using the heated wheel and seats and the lights have been on add in soft close doors and lecy tailgate use, I think its killing the battery!

Ive had a look and the rear right hand side is where the aux battery is for the stop start and any of the other electricals wizardry that operates when the car is not on (im guessing soft close, pwoer fold mirror, tailgate, side steps lecy ones that is, maybe the locking for the windows and doors global close and the keyless entry)

The main battery is strong and the alternator is fine too so it can only be this little Censored , I stuck a charger on it and it told me it was full but as it the original mfr battery and the car is now 5 1/2 its worth just getting a new one.

The OEM battery is EXIDE EK151 AGM (Glass mat type) its dinky 150mm by 145mm by 94mm or similar and the terminals are round and its laid on its side.

Found these sites for info if anyone else needs them

buy from here as it was the best price I could find
https://batterygroup.co.uk/batteries-by-ap...liary-car-

battery as of today 03/12/2020 it was £38.40 plus 4.99 next day shipping

other sites Eaby and Amazon sell them but they are few quid more and dont offer prime delivery so went to the above

For info goto post #17 where it says to reset the BMS (battery maintenance system) this can be done using the GAP IID tool I believe (I think swapping the battery over will work without having to do the reset but might be needed if there are errors maybe) there seems to be an ongoing q&a about registering batteries when they get replaced and some say its needed and other say not, the link above from s service manual sounds fair

https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/batter...ry.341091/

Also found this for info too. I think its the same battery used in Jag's too.

http://discoveryrangerover.com/exide-ek151...655-ac.php

Ill swap mine over this weekend when it arrives and give an update I will just swap it over first and not do any reset and see what happens if i still get a low battery message then I might do the reset, (i gues it all depends on how quickly this battery gets charged up or if the old one was just low on amps, I think they only give about 6 year life span on them so if stop start is on and in use and all the other gadgets then it must take its toll on the battery over time.

Cheers If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #607186 Thu Dec 03 2020 3:30pm
dazzerboy

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Bonatti Grey

Ive got the stop and start not available sometimes it works sometimes doesnt havent had any low battery lights showing will this be the aux battery

Post #607211 Fri Dec 04 2020 3:48pm
pjbracer1

England 

More than likely, the aux batt is like the one above its like a motor bike battery size one hand can hold it.

The message will appear in the dash when you open the car up or when you hit the start button but not start the engine (one of the two) it disapears quite quick so you might not notice it, there isnt a light as such just this message and it doesnt apear anytime apart from then so its not as if its in the messages log!

when the little batt is low some things shut down, when i was palying around with the dash cam i had the iginition on and it must have drained the littel Censored , this was not lng after I bought the car then next time I got in I loads of systems offline like AAC, forward alert, etc

So I went for a drive suspecting it might be power related as LR's luv their fix of lecy and if they dont get it the get annoyed!

After I went for a spin, I stopped then restarted and all thos worryign lights had gone!

Now the first thing I suspect if there is a light on the dash is that its realted to the power, my car has softclose doors and powerfold mirror with puddle lights (and I use the follow me home lights) so there is a fair bit of power just opeing or closing the car! not to mention the tailgate!

Short trips dotn run the engine long enough to charge the battery for long enough so I reckon as the battery get older it will degrade hence me just buying aother one for the sake of £40

Not sure how the main battery fairs though as its still the original, so Ill see how it goes, if this little battery is doing that kind of work then its easier and cheaper to repalce than the main one which is a plus I guess! If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #607212 Fri Dec 04 2020 4:02pm
pjbracer1

England 

Hi all

Ive created a new post specifically for changing the auxillary battery and the steps needed as this would appear to be the cause of the low battery warning most of the time, if this little battery doenst have enough charge the car will use the main battery which when the engine is running would assume get priority charging and then the leisure start stop batt get topped up or trickled after the main had been charged up enough.

Short journeys are gonna affect this quite alot as the little battery powers lots of things to my understanding not just the auto stop start, it covers things like tailgate and things so the main battery doesnt get hammered during starting etc...

I bought the new batt and fitted it yesterday and all when well not that hard of a job and apart from my time saved me going to a dealer!

Hope it helps someone

https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/post607285.html#607285

The low battery warning is also covered here on the LR site https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/docume...c/G1798292

I believe it to be the same for L494 and L405 but dont quote me

I replaced the cheaper of the 2 first and seeing as it was under £45 was worth the try! If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #607287 Mon Dec 07 2020 4:35pm
pjbracer1

England 

After the first aux batteyr was done the ASS still didnt work so I decided to replace the main battery too bought from the same company

Links here
L494 Aux Battery https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic57326.html

L494 Main Battery https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic57376.html
Cheers If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #607601 Thu Dec 17 2020 3:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1