RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > 3.6 TDV8 cranking but no start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

silverdreamracing

United Kingdom 
3.6 TDV8 cranking but no start

Hi, I have a 2007 RRS 3.6tdv8 that I've just fitted new turbos to, not easy but achieved with body on. Once all refitted the car fired up first time straight away and I ran it for 30 secs just to get oil pumped around, then rechecked and topped up oil to correct level, started car again and ran it for another few minutes just to check for leaks and allow coolant to start going round, then started car again and ran it for a further 15mins on drive getting it up to temp, occassionally increasing revs to approx. 2k rpm and bleed coolant system, everything ran well, sounded good, no smoke from exhaust, no knocking or any funny noises and heating system was starting to blow hot air. Stopped engine for about an hour before taking car out for test run, went to restart car, it started and died in a few seconds and now fails to restart, just cranks over and over.
Battery is fully charged, brand new LR fuel filter, have bleed through approx. 1 pint of fuel and looks ok and low pressure pump seems to be working, there are no fault codes coming up (OBD2 reader) but still won't start. My next thoughts are fuel pressure sensor and crank position sensor, is there any way to test these 2 or any other suggestion, also is there a way to check the high pressure fuel pump?

From what I read, the crank sensor is a gearbox off job, is this correct? and how is the high pressure pump fitted? if it is chain driven from engine is this an engine out job or is there a drive key way that allows pump to be removed?

Thanks in advance for any help

Post #604354 Wed Sep 09 2020 9:59am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Fault codes first...

Not a cheap OBD reader, they only read emissions data

Post #604364 Wed Sep 09 2020 12:49pm
silverdreamracing

United Kingdom 

Its a reasonable code reader and will do manufacturer stuff as well, do landrover have their on system like VAG, Merc, etc and can you download on to laptop, tablet or is it main dealer only?

Post #604366 Wed Sep 09 2020 1:02pm
silverdreamracing

United Kingdom 

ok so have been investigating today why she won't start. I removed the fuel pressure sensor from back of right hand rail, connected hose and left pressure sensor connected to wiring plug, cranked engine over and fuel supply was pretty lame, I would say same as low pressure pump pressure. What I did think was odd was that I should have got some warnings or fault codes to say fuel pressure was low, specially considering the sensor wasn't even fitted to car, I pulled off wiring plug and then lots of warnings came up on dash. Could it be that the sensor has failed but failed in a way to show full correct pressure?

What I also found was odd is that when cranking the throttle butterflies are both wide open, I'm not used to diesels (usually work on petrol cars) but would expect butterflies to be nearly closed at idle/start and seems like it would be way too much air and the position I would expect them to be in when at full throttle. once I had stopped cranking a few seconds later I saw the butterflies close and reopen, so mechanically they do operate, also for around 30secs after cranking there is a buzzing noise and can feel a small vibration through the right hand throttle housing, is this normal?

Post #604514 Sun Sep 13 2020 12:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1