RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > DAB signal loss
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Triumph_Dave

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
DAB signal loss

Has anyone noticed any issues with their DAB radio losing all channel reception. Just been out for the cars longest drive so far and in very moderate rain we lost every DAB station over a distance of about 50-60 miles, tried retuning the DAB stations and still nothing. We had at the same time a strange electrical overheat smell inside and the cars interior seemed to get warmer but zero smoke!. The smell passed in about 45 seconds, but then no DAB radio, we thought the smell/heat may have been related to the front climate control as the exterior temp dropped when the rain started.. Anyway, through this period the FM radio side worked fine, once the rain eventually stopped the radio started regaining DAB reception slowly in rough spurts, until magically its all started working again on all channels.

We went into the LR dealership on way home for them to quickly check, but only 1 tech was available and he stated he was not familiar with the RRS2 having any DAB radio issues other than the possible earth point for the combined antenna amplifier and rear brake light, but he did note that this normally showed as a DAB signal problem when the brake was applied, which was logical, but not happening on our car.

Anyway, thought I would ask all fellow owners out there if their DAB radio seemed super sensitive to weather.

Dave D4 2012 Santorini Black gone
RRS 2013 Santorini HSE Black gone
MY2016 RRS HSE Dynamic arrived September, but will it stay.. maybe not.

Post #477650 Sat Oct 24 2015 6:02pm
Big-Daddy

United Kingdom 

Yup, absolutely right. I had DAB in my M5 and it *never* lost signal (except maybe in tunnels etc) but my RR2 is always dropping in and out so much so that I have to switch it over to FM or just plain off.

Not even bothered asking the Stealer yet, I can already imagine the reply.

Post #477661 Sat Oct 24 2015 8:07pm
iainm

United Kingdom 

I had a similar problem with my DAB; kept dropping out for no reason. Went into the dealer - software update applied - touch wood - no repeat of the issues (Strastone Cardiff - Jamie - technician)

Post #477718 Sun Oct 25 2015 10:45am
Maidenmania

United Kingdom 

I have 2 friends with Fords and they lose DAB quite regular 2008 Factory HST- Sold
Arrived 2016 HSE carpathian grey

Post #477735 Sun Oct 25 2015 12:44pm
alexv

United Kingdom 

The land rover dab is crap I live in Bedfordshire and dab is so patchy its unreal, however my porsche dab is faultless even in the highlands of Scotland it is great, compare that with LR when in the highlands dab doesn't exist! On order expected October 16 macan turbo
Current car MY15 Hse Dynamic
Cayenne v6 MY64
RRS MY13 Black edition
Discovery MY61 xs
RRS TDV6 MY07
XC90 Executive
Yada yada yada

Post #477743 Sun Oct 25 2015 1:54pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Interesting as I have recently driven mine from Stirling in Central Scotland to Southampton and then on to west London and apart from one short section driving over Beattock Summit in Lanarkshire I can carry DAB the entire trip, this was the same in both my previous Evoques and the 2010 FFRR. The gap in reception is due to the fact that there are quite a few hills around Beattock and I loose FM signals there too. It usually coincides with some crappy afternoon play on Radio 4 so I switch over to stream a talking book from my phone! One thing I find is that sometimes I have to do a manual DAB retune when I drive the A81 into Glasgow where the DAB doesn't seem to automatically retune in a hole in signals. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #477755 Sun Oct 25 2015 4:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jasons

2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Firenze Red

I have the same issue, in the RRS and also in my Evoque- theres a dead spot on the M25 around by Junction 10, affects both cars, so at leas tI know it just isn't one cars problem.

it also suffered signal loss at the back of the car park by the Odeon Cinema in Epsom, and by the Nuffield Health Gym in Leatherhead....

J 2012 RRS HSE. Firenze Red.

Post #477767 Sun Oct 25 2015 7:21pm
Triumph_Dave

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

iainm wrote:
I had a similar problem with my DAB; kept dropping out for no reason. Went into the dealer - software update applied - touch wood - no repeat of the issues (Strastone Cardiff - Jamie - technician)

Thanks ianm, sorry for the late reply but had to travel to the Americas on work... my DAB issue seems rain or water related, think I will do some testing when I get home and spray a hose over the antenna to see how much is needed for signal loss.
The interesting issue on mine was that the DAB took ages to regain its signal after the rain had stopped, in all about 1 hour.

Dave D4 2012 Santorini Black gone
RRS 2013 Santorini HSE Black gone
MY2016 RRS HSE Dynamic arrived September, but will it stay.. maybe not.

Post #478094 Wed Oct 28 2015 6:20pm
RRSporter

I know this is an old thread. But the Dab reception in my 16 has been noticeably worse (almost unusable) than the previous model sport I had. Not expecting much but I’ve located and changed the dab antenna amplifier this eve.

A good thread here to ID the relevant parts. I’ll report back any improvement or otherwise. I’m not expecting much but worth a look I thought...
https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/my-201...it.339101/ 3.0 SDV6 HSE L494

Post #602067 Wed Jul 22 2020 10:26pm
Rowdie

United Kingdom 

That's odd. My 14.4 has the same issue since about 3-4 months ago. Not on handbrake, but on occasions basely useable when driving, and sometimes absolutely fine...I I had assumed some area DAB transmitters may have been reduced, though it does seem better on BBC than the non BBC channels ?? Is yours the same ? I do have a feeling its worse in bad weather, but not conclusive

Post #602080 Thu Jul 23 2020 1:58pm
Rowdie

United Kingdom 

RRSporter Please do advise if your change fixes the issue...

Post #602081 Thu Jul 23 2020 1:59pm
RRSporter

Will do 👍. I’m out of my local area but initial signs are not encouraging. What I haven’t been able to see is where the coax terminates into the rear screen in case of any corrosion etc there. I do know a £50 site radio sat on the passenger seat will comfortably trump the built in kit which tells me there must be a fault in the antenna circuit somewhere.
As I said I need to rerun this experiment with portable radio again since swapping dab amplifier to see if there is any change. I’m pretty sure it didn’t leave the factory like this as a 60k car. 🤔 3.0 SDV6 HSE L494

Last edited by RRSporter on Fri Jul 24 2020 1:24pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #602114 Fri Jul 24 2020 1:15pm
RRSporter

RRSporter wrote:
I know this is an old thread. But the Dab reception in my 16 has been noticeably worse (almost unusable) than the previous model sport I had. Not expecting much but I’ve located and changed the dab antenna amplifier this eve.

A good thread here to ID the relevant parts. I’ll report back any improvement or otherwise. I’m not expecting much but worth a look I thought...
https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/my-201...it.339101/

Yes BBC are least bad. Something like talksport 2 appears to be a good test of marginal reception. But I have times where even Bbc goes no reception on and off. 3.0 SDV6 HSE L494

Post #602115 Fri Jul 24 2020 1:24pm
RRSporter

Rowdie wrote:
RRSporter Please do advise if your change fixes the issue...

No change sorry. I haven’t given up though. Still suspect the antenna input somehow to the dab module just not sure what’s up? 3.0 SDV6 HSE L494

Post #602583 Fri Jul 31 2020 10:10pm
Rowdie

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the update. Silly question. Have you changed where you keep your mobile phone in the car. I have started putting mine in the central coffee holder and I have a tiny hunch it might be affecting the DAB signal but not proved conclusively yet.

Post #602665 Sun Aug 02 2020 8:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>