RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > "Never Settle" - 10.25" screen install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

So some real progress with the vents. Currently held together with Gorilla glue but soon to be reinforced and shaped with fibreglass and body filler...

Screen is currently force fitted hence the odd angles for the OEM HVAC vents in the photos.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This give a better overall idea of what it should look like. Still loads to do, but feel now that it's manageable and that it should look fairly 'stock' once completed and painted.

Photo/sketch of how it should look from the front. Just need to sort the rear and how I'm going to do the friction hinges so the screen can swivel a little Smile

Click image to enlarge

Have a good evening and let me know what you think.

Cheers

Guy 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #590219 Sun Nov 10 2019 6:08pm
Guyzer73

So..... a little progress over the weekend.

Managed to mock up the surround in card and tape. This will be replaced with an aluminium mould for the fiberglass.

Overall I'm quite happy with how it will look. Plenty of space inside for the short ducts.

Loads of tidying up and sanding needs to be done to remove sharp edges etc. But there's light at the end of the tunnel...

Here some photos:

1. The gaping void and mess behind 😲:

Click image to enlarge

2. The temporary mount:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

3. The mock-up in situ:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

What do you reckon?

Final finish will be piano black to match of course

Cheers

Post #590482 Sat Nov 16 2019 9:48am
Guyzer73

So, its almost been 3 months and until recently very little progress has been made.

Now at last I'm getting somewhere. The Screen surround is in the upholsterers and will be ready on Wednesday, wrapped in matching black leather. Below are a few pictures of the almost finalised surround before covering. It has been fine tuned for a better fit, but haven't got photos of that:

I've made some small brackets for the HVAC controls and Hazard Switch, so they now sit securely and in the correct position. These will be finished then painted black and proper screws used :

Click image to enlarge

The actual vents are in place and have a very poor rattle can black finish. This will be sent to professionals to give a real piano black finish on it shortly:

Click image to enlarge

And I've finally got a solution for the HVAC ducting. I've made this polystyrene form for the driver's side which I will wrap in fibreglass before removing the polystyrene and rattle canning it black and wrapping in fabric tape. You'll see there are no mounting points, these will be determined later once the whole thing comes together:

What’s outstanding? Well quite a bit actually….

1. I need to finish the cubbyhole in the space left by the HVAC switches, ideally with a 'lid' but that depends if I can find a reasonable solution.
2. I need to tidy up the mess of the 'tray-shelf' on the passenger side. I plan to wrap either card or aluminium sheet in gloss black or leather and stick them to the back and sides, plus raptor painting the tray black.
3. Try and get this MOST adapter working to reduce the cabling and use the full power of the Logic 7 system, rather than the head units 4x45Ws.

4. Tidy up the HVAC knobs. Basically, strip of the flaking chrome and try and paint them gloss black.
5. Then once everything is in place it will be stripped down and cables tidied, head unit fixed in place and nuts, bolts, clips etc recovered before giving it a really good clean and polish. Also, I want to rejuvenate the 13YO interior PU Leather, so please have a look HERE if you have recommendations.

Looking forward to some feedback and will post pics of the finished surround and HVAC vent in due course.

Cheers

Post #594258 Mon Feb 03 2020 9:49am
Guyzer73

IT'S FINISHED!!!
Well mostly Embarassed

It's been a very long journey, even this final, and it is final build has taken months. Mainly because it's my daily drive and therefore I ended up reconstructing the dash every time so it's safe and driveable.

Here some pictures of the end result, I'll let them do the talking:

Click image to enlarge

So all done and working. Only thing that needs changing is the cubby hole light. Currently it's a very bright upgraded LED light from the boot with a makeshift green filter. I'll replace it with a stock light housing and a much dimmer green LED bulb.

Now really need to tidy up the passenger side dashboard and have a play with the main gear selector surround and drinks holder as I don't like it...

Otherwise I'm done on the inside, now on to tidying up the outside.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Cheers

Post #598814 Tue May 12 2020 4:40am
mgrover

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

nice man looks good.

a few pitfalls I noticed, my wheel controls like to switch around, ie whatever I set them to, for example volume up becomes next track. but then it randomly stops, am guessing its because of my Censored connectors, this is why id prefer to just solder haha.

Post #598824 Tue May 12 2020 8:29am
Guyzer73

Yeah I've had that problem. I found either I have to relearn the SWC a few times (3-ish) and it settles down. Or do a full hard reset and then reprogram the SWC and it seems to hold.

I last reprogrammed mine about 3 months ago and it has worked seamlessly to date... That's jinxed it Rolling with laughter 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...

Post #598826 Tue May 12 2020 9:19am
mgrover

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

haha fair enough so its not just the wires then. odd since I have another xtrons head unit in my E46 and its never had that issue. so is it a LR software bug

Post #598828 Tue May 12 2020 9:53am
Guyzer73

Well it's happened... Keep losing the steering wheel controls.

Check the circuits and all looks good. I'm wondering whether it's due to a voltage drop due to low battery voltage as I've noted that the SWC numbers have dropped significantly over the last months where I've only used the car to commute and no longer journeys. Also, it's mid summer so a truffle warm and extra strain on the battery.

Will check it out and probably do a slow overnight charge and see if that solves the problem. 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...

Post #600994 Mon Jun 29 2020 2:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12