Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > JLR LOCKDOWN ADVISE P400E
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Michael997

United Kingdom 
JLR LOCKDOWN ADVISE P400E

Hi Guy’s
I received the following email from JLR yesterday re care for our Hybrids during lockdown. I found it interesting that they suggest keeping the Hybrid battery on charge will maintain the cars usual battery.
Overall worth a read if you have a P400e
Michael

RANGE ROVER PHEV

KEEPING YOUR LAND ROVER IN PEAK CONDITION DURING LOCKDOWN

As the UK faces a period of isolation due to the Coronavirus outbreak, many of us will be spending a lot more time at home and less time driving our vehicles.

The government advises that we should only travel by car when absolutely necessary, including travelling to and from your place of work if you are a key worker, for essential food supplies for yourself or vulnerable people who rely on you, or to attend medical appointments.

To ensure your Land Rover PHEV operates at peak efficiency for essential travel, there are a number of steps you can follow. These require little effort and will maintain the best operating conditions for your vehicle.

MOUNTAIN ROAD

MAINTAINING YOUR PHEV FOR ESSENTIAL TRAVEL

To ensure your Land Rover PHEV operates efficiently for essential travel and to prepare for returning to more frequent travel patterns, there are a few simple steps you can follow.

MAINTAIN YOUR BATTERY

During lockdown, we would recommend keeping your Land Rover PHEV plugged in to your home charging point at all times whether this is via a three-pin plug or Wall Box. The advantage of this, is that it will keep your PHEV’s drive battery at a maximum state of charge, while simultaneously maintaining the 12V battery required to support the running of your vehicle. Your PHEV will only charge up to the point required, so will not continue to draw charge past this point at any additional charge for electricity, even while still plugged in.

If keeping your PHEV continuously on charge is not an option, then it is advised you check the charge level of your Land Rover once every 30 days, and to recharge your PHEV if the levels fall below 50%.

In addition to this, we would recommend that you run your petrol engine once every two weeks for 15 minutes to protect the state of charge of the battery. To run your petrol engine, you will need to deactivate the Auto Stop/Start system in your vehicle which disables Electric Vehicle (EV) mode on PHEVs temporarily.

To deactivate the Auto Stop/Start system, press the Vehicle icon on your lower Touch Screen and select the ‘A’ OFF icon. You will notice the message ‘Auto Stop/Start Off’ display in your instrument panel. This will allow you to run your petrol engine. While you run the engine once every two weeks for 15 minutes, please ensure that the heat in the cabin is set to 22 degrees with the AC switched on. Repeat this process every two weeks as required.

Please note that when you next start your ignition, the Auto Stop/Start system will automatically reactivate.

RANGE ROVER SPORT PHEV

CHECK YOUR TYRES

To avoid flat spots developing and ensure your tyres remain sufficiently inflated, check the tyre pressure against those listed in your vehicle manual. In addition, we advise adjusting the parking position of your Land Rover by a ¼ of a wheel turn once every 30 days, to change the point of pressure. Repeat as required.

MAINTAIN YOUR BRAKES

After extended periods of no use we’d recommend gently applying the brakes when first driving your Land Rover again, at a low speed. This will help to remove any surface corrosion on the brake discs.

WHEEL

STEERING WHEEL

WHAT IF I NEED TO SPEAK TO MY RETAILER?

Our UK Retailers are currently closed to protect the health and safety of the public and our colleagues. However, to provide national coverage for service and repairs, a number of our Service Centres remain open, with priority being given to essential service vehicles and vehicles of key workers. If your service vehicle light turns on, please note you can continue using your Land Rover for two months or up to 2,000 miles, before a service is strongly advised.

In the case of a breakdown, our roadside assistance teams are still operating, but are adopting social distancing measures. For any urgent service and repair queries, please contact Land Rover Assistance on 0800 521 786, or to find out the latest operational status for each of our Retailers, please visit the
Land Rover website.

JOIN THE CONVERSATION
FACEBOOK TWITTER YOUTUBE INSTAGRAM
DOWNLOAD

ALL BROCHURES

BRANDED GOODS

ALL APPS
OWNERSHIP

ACCESSORIES

GUIDES AND MANUALS

INCONTROL
ABOUT US

JAGUAR LAND ROVER

LAND ROVER LIVE

NEWS
Unsubscribe | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Jaguar Land Rover Limited: Registered office: Abbey Road, Whitley, Coventry CV3 4LF.
Registered in England; No.1672070 Michael
2013 RRS diesel Autobiography Dynamic

Post #597853 Sat Apr 18 2020 8:01am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ilard

United Kingdom 

I never knew that keeping the car plugged into power maintains the 12V battery. They also imply that keeping the battery at 100% is a good thing (electronics firms might advise, for example, that keeping a phone or laptop at 80% is optimal for the longevity of the battery). They say to charge it if the level is below 50%. I have not seen that written before, only that it should be charged every 30 days.

Also, they recommend firing up the petrol engine once every 2 weeks for at least 15 mins while setting the climate to 22 C with AC enabled. This is very specific! L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #597855 Sat Apr 18 2020 9:34am
gdias

Portugal 

I normally don't use AC, i don't like it, and i drive almost everyday, but pass many days without the petrol engine kick in, and even when it kicks in is not more than 1km...

Should i force and use the petrol engine more regularly? And the AC same thing, use it more regularly?

Rolling Eyes RRS 2020 P400e HSE Dynamic
6 Ex-Fullfats

Post #597967 Tue Apr 21 2020 10:25am
ilard

United Kingdom 

In my opinion you should run the AC constantly, it helps manage the humidity in the cabin, but more importantly perhaps is it will prevent the premature failure of the AC unit due to lubricant failure, specifically the risk of refrigerant leaks. I am not an AC expert! But I imagine running the AC on as a disciple every couple of weeks or at least once a month would be sensible.

As for the petrol engine, I don't know why it should be run regularly but I imagine there are three issues: moisture in the metal parts that does not get to burn off regularly; loss of lubrication so that on first start up there is increased wear; petrol deteriorating.

The P400e fuel tank is pressurised to help protect fuel from deteriorating in the tank over long periods, but I guess there's still petrol in the rest of the system. Maybe that evaporates quite quickly, not sure.

I have been forcing my petrol to kick in be disabling the start/stop, and this was before I read the lockdown guidance. 15 mins of driving on petrol does not use much fuel at all in the scheme of things. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #597972 Tue Apr 21 2020 12:30pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

One reason to run any petrol engine (even a lawn mower) regularly is that the octane level of the petrol can diminish over time.Muddy’s Outlander PHEV used to force it into petrol mode if the ICE hadn’t been used for, I think, 90 days. I have no such warning from BMW regarding my Countryman and like the RRS it states to leave it plugged into the charger, however I have 3 choices of charging rate - high, medium and low - so I have it set on low charge and the charging timer only to come on between 0330 and 0630 daily (ie in off peak rates) while it is lunused. With the present warm weather it doesn’t need to pre-heat the battery even though we have had early morning temperatures down to +2C but once everyb10 days I set the pre-heater for the cabin to warm that which puts some load on the HV battery.
Regarding the AC, most important to run it all the time to keep the gas pressurised and the seals lubricated and previous experience with L320 and L322’s has been that not utilising the dehumidifier in the system can cause condensation behind the trim panels that eventually causes major problems with the entertainment systems and the GPS unit - modern Climate and AC systems don’t use much power but also you can set them to a warm setting and still dehumidify the air in the cabin. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #598009 Wed Apr 22 2020 2:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gdias

Portugal 

Thanks Tim and ilard!

Since yesterday my AC is now always turned on! In my L322 TDV8 i replaced the AC engine... now i know why!

About the petrol engine kick-in, i will use it with more regularity! All of you guys said makes a lot of sense!

Thumbs Up RRS 2020 P400e HSE Dynamic
6 Ex-Fullfats

Post #598063 Thu Apr 23 2020 4:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1