RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Surely not someone from the forum...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Boxers

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I think it will definitely continue for 3 months without a doubt, if people don't take heed it will be extended things are destined to get a lot worse unless a miracle occurs we are only 2 weeks behind Italy, some people simply like to bury their heads in the sand perhaps they haven't yet lost a friend/loved one , but many have it's real & it's happening every day.

Post #597154 Mon Mar 30 2020 11:43am
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If the mortality rate is 3% as they say and roughly 1/2 population were allowed to get this, that would be approx 1 million people that could die. 20,000 estimate is bad enough. Until they can control the spread of it, then the risk of a higher number of deaths remains, so I don't think they'll be relaxing much for ages to come.

Hence why its important for dorks like the one in the video to remain at home.

Post #597156 Mon Mar 30 2020 12:13pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

aaronjb wrote:
That's not what the Deputy Health Minister strongly implied yesterday..

Yeah, politicians say what is required to be said at that moment. The requirement will change as this drags on. At some point there will be a tipping point where the economy needs to restart or the country will be in full-on depression. There will be a point where the economics outweighs the social/political and the decision will be made to chuck people under the bus. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #597157 Mon Mar 30 2020 12:47pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

Pufftmw wrote:
If the mortality rate is 3% as they say..

That still seems to be a big if, given the way countries are reporting numbers - for example, in the UK we are only testing people who end up hospitalised (therefore, they're much more likely to pop their clogs than someone at home with minimal symptoms), likewise Italy etc (where it was more like 10% mortality rate but on very limited testing). On the other hand, Germany, where they are testing hundreds of times more people than the UK are currently showing a 0.5% mortality rate.

Then again, I did read that Germany reports the cause of death differently - i.e. they report pneumonia, rather than covid-19 as the cause of death, so they could be mis-reporting their figures in a different way.. unable to corroborate that.

What's the saying about statistics?

There are studies, though, that suggest the CFR is more like 1.1% and IFR more like 0.5%. Of course, if 100% of the UK population became infected, an 0.5% IFR still means 330,000 deaths.

Ah, who knows. All we can do is what they tell us, I suppose. Personally I've withdrawn from everything online, pretty much - got sucked into this one, though, didn't I Laughing - because it's an endless sea of speculation, hyperbole, doom and gloom and bad news, stopped reading the news etc, and I reckon the "social isolation" will finish me off before COVID-19 ever has a chance.

[edit] Darn, forgot to link to the paper suggesting 0.5% IFR - https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00885-w 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #597160 Mon Mar 30 2020 1:54pm
1richard1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

On a lighter note i did win £20 on the postcode lottery Rolling Eyes

Post #597167 Mon Mar 30 2020 6:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12