RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Australia & New Zealand > Melbourne (Vic) to Mackay (Qld)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

CRACKA

Australia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey
Melbourne (Vic) to Mackay (Qld)

Hi, haven't posted for a while but though some of you might be interested in details of the 'little' trip we are now doing in the RRS S/C - towing our latest caravan. Surprised
Firstly, the preparations which included getting 6 x 19" wheels and Pirelli Scorpion A/T tyres, additional 110 litre long range fuel tank, and a complete service including transmission and brakes. Rolling Eyes
The RRS is in good condition for it age with about 240000kklms on the speedo. It tows the 2 ton van with ease(and comfort).
Fuelled up at $1.25 and left Melbourne early last Sunday morning stopped at Shepparton for breakfast and a top up $1.31.
Crossed the Murray at Tocuwal into NSW heading for Griffith which was our fist overnight stop.

Out of time now will continue next available stop that has internet. Arrow 2006 4.2 S/C with Tow Pack, Side Steps, DRL's, 19" & 20" wheels, additional 110 ltr Fuel Tank Roof Rack and performance mods.

1952 Rover 75 (Cyclops) First Car !!! Fond memories -was restored-good for 93mph.

Post #596325 Tue Mar 10 2020 9:23pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Always good to hear others experiences. A couple of pics of your road trip would be good. No doubt you'll be travelling through some very damaged countryside so any update on how the country is recovering would be good too. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #596332 Wed Mar 11 2020 7:26am
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Pictures! I loved my 12 months in Victoria back in the late 90s Thumbs Up ....Monash Uni Post Doc Fellow Yawn Rolling with laughter Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #596355 Wed Mar 11 2020 12:11pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Sounds superb, what make of long range tank do you have fitted? 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #596380 Wed Mar 11 2020 9:49pm
IRBails

Australia 
Re: Melbourne (Vic) to Mackay (Qld)

CRACKA wrote:
Hi, haven't posted for a while but though some of you might be interested in details of the 'little' trip we are now doing in the RRS S/C - towing our latest caravan. Surprised
Firstly, the preparations which included getting 6 x 19" wheels and Pirelli Scorpion A/T tyres, additional 110 litre long range fuel tank, and a complete service including transmission and brakes. Rolling Eyes
The RRS is in good condition for it age with about 240000kklms on the speedo. It tows the 2 ton van with ease(and comfort).
Fuelled up at $1.25 and left Melbourne early last Sunday morning stopped at Shepparton for breakfast and a top up $1.31.
Crossed the Murray at Tocuwal into NSW heading for Griffith which was our fist overnight stop.

Out of time now will continue next available stop that has internet. Arrow

Looking at towing a Van with my RRS also. What van make do you have ? Good to hear the car is still going strong , I have 112000 k's . Just fitted the brake controller now searching for the right van. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #596382 Wed Mar 11 2020 9:58pm
CRACKA

HI, to quickly answer your responses. I have taken several pictures which I will post shortly.
Long range tank was from Brown Davies in Bayswater Melb. but they have agents all over Aust.
The new Van is a Jayco Journey -17ft single axle with shower & toilet. Double bed with drop down table to make another.

P.s. We have just arrived in Mackay after travelling and staying at Griffith (NSW),Bouke (NSW), Lighting Ridge (NSW) & Clermount (QLD). Cool
No good wifi until now will fill you in shortly. Rolling Eyes 2006 4.2 S/C with Tow Pack, Side Steps, DRL's, 19" & 20" wheels, additional 110 ltr Fuel Tank Roof Rack and performance mods.

1952 Rover 75 (Cyclops) First Car !!! Fond memories -was restored-good for 93mph.

Post #596437 Fri Mar 13 2020 8:25am
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

you are not far from gods country, the Whitsundays is literally just over a hour north of Mackay Cracka.. Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #596665 Wed Mar 18 2020 2:26am
CRACKA

Yes Zilch not far at the time as we were visiting Sharons brother at Mt Ossa but we didn,t venture further north.
Currently in Hervey Bay at the inlaws for the next week. Stayed at Mackay for 2 nights then on the way down Emu Park for another 2,
Now I have good internet I will write a little more about the trip up.
Took the Hume Hwy then the Newell to Jerilderie NSW. Turn off onto the Kidman Way "Backtrack to the Outback" an old stock route. This took us to Griffith NSW famous for its Oranges, Grapes and'grass'. So far so good the roads were 3 times better than I expected.
The next day was still on the Kidman Way to Bourke Nsw. It started out with a cloudless sky but ended at Bourke in Rain trying to set up for the night. Turned out the 5 year drought had been broken with lots of rain the week before. It was our intention to proceed due North the next day but the road was closed near the Queensland border due to flooding. 95 oct. fuel was not available so had to get some 98 oct.@$1.79 ltr.
Decided to head on the Highway east to Walgett? then head north to Roma Qld. via Lighting Ridge. Had to stay in Lighting Ridge an extra day because now this road north was closed due to flooding. Well worth the stay had a good look around and the Caravan park had over 250 sites all well maintained. The only problem here and in Bourke was the thousands of Flies. Everyone was wearing face fly wire over their hats. All this was due to the rains. Desert - what Desert!!!! All we saw was water all over the ground and in most of the Floodways.
The next day the road was declared open-" with caution". Turned out besides the still water in the floodways that there was still 300-400mm flowing on top of the bridge over a river!!!! Lifted up the RRS and went thru without any issues. Arrived in Roma to find a new United selling 95 for $1.18 per ltr -filled both tanks. Very Happy
I am sorry I don't seem to be able to 'move' the photos from my phone to this new laptop. I tried all sorts of methods. Censored I will try and get some help while I am here and post them next time. 2006 4.2 S/C with Tow Pack, Side Steps, DRL's, 19" & 20" wheels, additional 110 ltr Fuel Tank Roof Rack and performance mods.

Post #596702 Thu Mar 19 2020 6:15am
Zilch

heading up to the whitsundays for a few weeks (forced to work from home Laughing ) , leave next weekend,
driving from Sydney via Noosa, direct route via the Pacific Highway.. that way i can crack it in two days ..

be good to see some of your outback pictures Cracka Thumbs Up

Cheers

Jim Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #596747 Fri Mar 20 2020 6:33am
CRACKA

Still can't download the photos as there are no 'experts' at the inlaws.
We will most likely pass each other on the road as we will be heading down that way to Sydney on our way home.

If you see a 2006 RRS with a tyre on a roof rack towing a Caravan that will be us. Arrow

I still have more of the Trip to post but I don't want to until I can upload the photos so far.
There is one thing I can point out and thats the Pirelli Scorpion A/T tyres have been fantastic. I got the 'milder version' as I didn't intend to go rock climbing. They are silent and great handling in the wet,dirt,mud & sand. Thumbs Up 2006 4.2 S/C with Tow Pack, Side Steps, DRL's, 19" & 20" wheels, additional 110 ltr Fuel Tank Roof Rack and performance mods.

Post #596749 Fri Mar 20 2020 7:35am
Zilch

will do Thumbs Up and mine is also easiy to spot Laughing Not sure if we are leaving Friday or Saturday,
but give a wave..

Click image to enlarge
 Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #596795 Sat Mar 21 2020 1:20am
Zilch

CRACKA wrote:
Still can't download the photos as there are no 'experts' at the inlaws.:

no USB port on the laptop?? thought you could connect the iphone via the charging cable to import??

I have a macbook, makes life simpler Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Last edited by Zilch on Fri Mar 27 2020 3:03am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #596798 Sat Mar 21 2020 4:53am
CRACKA

Zilch.
. I have just got a new HP laptop for the Trip. Windows 10. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy 10. Although I can charge the phone via the cable into the USB port on the Laptop it does not want to upload data. I will keep trying. 2006 4.2 S/C with Tow Pack, Side Steps, DRL's, 19" & 20" wheels, additional 110 ltr Fuel Tank Roof Rack and performance mods.

Post #596982 Wed Mar 25 2020 7:26am
CRACKA

Zilch, just another couple of things.
Just heard that 7-8 new cases of the virus have happened in Noosa. Be careful if your going to stay there, Also QLD will close its Borders tonight- Police on duty. You would have to prove you are 'living' in QLD

Also how did you manage to get a bull bar for the RRS. Is it a D3/4 one modified to fit?? The reason I am asking is I would have loved to have one for the outback journey instead of having to worry about hitting all the local wildlife. 2006 4.2 S/C with Tow Pack, Side Steps, DRL's, 19" & 20" wheels, additional 110 ltr Fuel Tank Roof Rack and performance mods.

Post #596983 Wed Mar 25 2020 7:36am
Zilch

Hi Cracka, we did not drive in the end, with the borders closing down and the cases increasing we erred on the
side of caution and stayed in Sydney.

The bar i have fitted is an Opposite Lock D4 premium bar, with a Warn winch. It was fitted in Sydney
by an OL Franchise on the Northern beaches. We had it fitted in 2014 for our Cape York trip.. a lot bigger things
than roos up that part of the continent, plenty of humongous steers running around Whistle Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #597064 Fri Mar 27 2020 3:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>