RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Cheap battery monitor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

wilf

Cheap battery monitor

I have been using the Ctek "battery sense" battery monitors for a while now on the daily drives (mainly because the wife's doesn't do enough miles to keep the battery charged so I monitor it and top it up occasionally. If it won't start, it is apparently my fault, so it pays to be proactive).

At over £47 each, they are an expensive buy. And recently, with iOS and app updates, they have been troublesome to connect.

A few days ago, I spotted a cheaper (sub £20) unit on ebay and thought I would give it a go on the Stag - connects easily and works at a longer range, great value, far more functionality in the 'phone app then the Ctek, obviously monitors battery charge state, plus it checks cranking voltage and gives you a report on the charging voltages at idle and higher revs.

Can't yet vouch for longevity, but if you want to keep an eye on your battery condition via your mobile, at sub £20 they have to be worth a go. eBay item eBay Item No. 264502444967 Called a "BM2 Bluetooth battery monitor". MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #593039 Wed Jan 08 2020 8:41pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

It looks like a neat little unit.

Perfect to add to my wishlist for when family ask me what I would like for birthday/Christmas.

Thanks for posting Thumbs Up Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #593044 Wed Jan 08 2020 10:45pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

I'd been considering those Ctek monitors for a bit but had considered them a bit overprced for what they do, then after reading this thread I ordered 2 BM2 monitors, one each for the RRS and wife's Evoque. As a trial I first fitted one to the Evoque Whistle and all went well, yes it is a handy bit of kit as I can connect from within the house and the chart is handy to see what's going on during it's drives as it uploads the history to my phone once my wife arrives back home.
Then I fitted one to my RRS and it appeared good during a battery charge, then the next day I did the cranking voltage test but it then showed no charging. I went my drive which was 10 minutes and still no charging, and neither on the way back home. I immediately removed the BM2, started the engine and with the GAP iiDTool plugged in I could see the normal 14.7V charge voltage (I did check voltage with iiDtTool while the BM2 was still connected).

I must admit I was a bit worried when it wasn't charging as I was wondering if the BM2 had caused something to fail, I was just thinking of the ££££'s for repair. I guess I should maybe just reconnect it to confirm it is not compatible with the RRS, but why would a monitoring device cause the no charging? I believe the RRS has the so called smart charigng, but I'd assume the Evoque would have a similar system? Anyway I've currently got the BM2 connected to my MF135 tractor but not yet had it started.

EDIT - an update is I bought several more and have had one fitted to my RRS for some time with no further issue's. I have 5 connected to various vehicles, caravan and spare battery which has made it simple to keep an eye on when they require charging, I'm not sure what went wrong in the issue as above but that unit is still fitted to my MF135 and working fine, I did once notice a spare battery had stopped working which just needed disconnecting then reconnecting which has sorted it so maybe that's all I needed to do with the first RRS one. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Last edited by insiorc on Wed Sep 09 2020 8:09am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #594023 Wed Jan 29 2020 9:39pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

Hm .. tempted to pick a couple of these up - nice find! 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #594087 Fri Jan 31 2020 3:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1