RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Pot Hole
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver
Pot Hole

I thought some of you might be interested in my tale of woe.

I recently put two new Pirelli's on the front of my RRS. The Uniroyals had lasted well but had worn out. Would have had more of the same but I couldn't get rid of a slight wander from the steering and the new Pirellis have solved that. But thats not for this posting.

So, happy with my new Pirellis I popped up to Kent to see my mum. I tend to poodle along the back lanes to avoid the traffic of Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells. Well just around a bend a Mercedes estate was coming the other way at a fair rate of knots. There was just enough room to pass as long as we both went for the verge. Only problem was that on my side there was a puddle. And hidden from me by water was a pot hole. Almighty bang! So much so that I pulled into someone's drive so that I could check for damage to wheel or tyre. No sign, so I carried on. That was before Christmas.
Last week I notice the tyre was low so pumped it up. checked it the next day and it was loosing pressure slowly. So put on the spare and took it to my local garage for a repair. Duly done and put back on the nearside front.

I've been attempting a home grown refurbishment of the alloys and so, having done the spare, decided to have a go at another. Could I get the rear wheel nut undone? Nope! One or two on each on the rear wheels were swollen ( I knew this was going to happen sooner or later) and others were done up so tight (compressed air wheel gun?) that I broke the LR supplied wheel spanner. So, tried with my socket set and extension bar but was reluctant to go too mad for fear of stripping the stud.
Next the plan was to buy some new, solid wheel nuts which duly arrived from eBay the other day, and go to a local tyre shop; bung them £20 and ask them to use their impact gun to remove the old nuts and replace them with my new ones.

All good! Popped in there on the off chance on Friday and they weren't busy. They changed all my nuts - result!. Then one of the girls there noticed a bulge in the sidewall of my almost brand new tyre. Big Cry OK, so how much for a replacement. OK £169. Not bad, and they had one in stock so lets do it. Took the damaged tyre off. Then they m,en tioned " you do know that your wheel is buckled don't you? Shocked

Ok so this might be why I have a slow puncture (which I thought had been fixed by my garage...) Evil or Very Mad

All right then. How much to sort that - well we'd been discussing the refurbishment I'd been doing and so it progressed to getting the wheel sent away for straightening and professional refurb. £150! Oh and as that tyre was my soon to be changed Uniroyal spare, so I might as well go for a new Pirelli on that once its fixed.
So that pot hole cost £18 - puncture repair, £169 for a new tyre, £150 for the refurb and has brought forward the need to replace the Uniroyal with a new Pirelli £169. = £506 Big Cry Big Cry Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #593480 Sat Jan 18 2020 4:46pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

Shocked Potholes can be expensive..

If it's not that far away, it might be worth a trip with a camera and a tape measure, and a claim against the local council? 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #593527 Mon Jan 20 2020 7:40am
Eaters

That did cross my mind. Probably going up to my Mum's on Wednesday so will certainly go that route. Couldn't see the hole to take a picture when it happened as it was full of water Sad Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #593528 Mon Jan 20 2020 7:46am
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

If it is as cold down there as it is up here, it might now be a frozen over puddle! Bit baltic scraping the windows this morning (of the OHs car .. although my heated front screen doesn't work very well, so I'll be scraping that tomorrow, I imagine)..

I particularly dislike puddles and especially puddles at night - you never know what's lurking in them, and at night they are like invisible ninja assassins, popping out of nowhere! Sad 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #593533 Mon Jan 20 2020 8:51am
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Commiserations Eaters. What a faff. Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #593535 Mon Jan 20 2020 8:54am
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Had a similar issue a few years ago, hidden pothole took out the n/s/r tyre (one week old) slashed the side wall and totalled the alloy. 10:30 on a Saturday night in the middle of winter on a farm yard full of cow Censored changing the wheel, happy days ! 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Post #593536 Mon Jan 20 2020 10:30am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

A: how fast were you going? No, really? Wink
B: what size tyres are you running?

I'm amazed that it's buckled a rim unless you're running no sidewall tyres - or were "making progress" when you hit it. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #593545 Mon Jan 20 2020 3:48pm
Eaters

Speed was well under 30 as far as I recall - its a fairly narrow lane and I was braking because of the merc coming the other way. I would have kept the dash cam recording but it was some time ago - before Christmas - and at the time I didn't now there was a problem. I would have posted video on You Tube of my recent return to the spot but because I have my music on, Warner Music Group have blocked it!!!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It doesn't look much but Censored

I have 275 40 R20 tyres

And, just for a kick in the nuts, I now have a knackered spare wheel winch Big Cry . New one on order from eBay Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #593758 Fri Jan 24 2020 10:17am
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Ouch. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #593768 Fri Jan 24 2020 11:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1